Drone Flying Do's and Dont's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here is John Paul Raptis breaking every rule and safety guideline he can find! Please keep current on the Federal rules that apply to our great hobby. We've talked forever here of "policing our own", but it seems to fizzle out each time. If we don't reign in these bad apples, it won't take too long before more strict legislation is passed. Over here and over there! Let's do something good for the hobby, and talk to the bad flyers we encounter. Explain the rules to them, what's acceptable "legally" and what isn't. I'm not sure about over there, but here in America there are fines up to $250,000.00!! So, without further ado...........................

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i was very surprised how many jumped to his defense with "video's would be boring if you didn't fly over people" etc over on his thread. If people who've got a genuine interest in our hobby can't stick to the basics, then we might as well give up because its not going to be long before they get banned

In 2015 - Approximately 1 Million new Drones were sold in the United States alone!

Out of 1 Million drone flyers (that is assuming each person has one and not multiples) there is a percentage of those new "pilots" that will undoubtedly either not understand safe practices, recommendations for flying or just fly recklessly without care or regard for anyone but themselves.

Even if that percentage is statistically low (say 1 percent - I expect it to be a good deal higher) that means 10,000 flyers will be in the unsafe and and uncaring society.

With that number being very plausible the reality of much stricter government regulations up to and including banning this type of unmanned aerial vehicle is not a matter of IF. Its a matter of WHEN.

The law of averages dictates this.

We will see an increasing number of incidents related to drones causing harm to people , property, and the welfare of our society. Its inevitable.

While I think what you are pointing out is seriously needed to "remind" others about safe practices and the welfare of others person and property I feel that many of these "new" drone flyers are not choosing to get involved with places where they can stay updated , educated, and fly using excellent judgement.

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
If people who've got a genuine interest in our hobby can't stick to the basics, then we might as well give up because its not going to be long before they get banned
He was undoubtedly stupid with his blatant disregard for any regulations and proud of it.
But the frequently suggested its not going to be long before they get banned comment that we see nearly every day on the forums doesn't make much sense.
Idiots misuse all kinds of objects and technology but this doesn't lead to wholesale banning of fire, mobile phones, cars etc, etc.
There will always be idiots, there's no ******* vaccine.
We just have to ensure that they remain a very small minority.

Reactions: m0j0
For the love of god, or whining, can someone please lock this? Enough of the negativity. If you don't like what someone does, report it to FAA or whatever the agency might be based on the country its in, but no need to come bleed all over these forums.

Sometimes "bleeding all over these forums" produces positive results. If noobs read that the more enlightened and experienced "drone" owners abhor this type of behavior, it may steer them in the right direction... So... If a moderator is to lock this thread, it won't be this one...

-slinger

Reactions: snerd and GoodnNuff
There will always be people who push the boundaries it's human nature.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For the love of god, or whining, can someone please lock this? Enough of the negativity. If you don't like what someone does, report it to FAA or whatever the agency might be based on the country its in, but no need to come bleed all over these forums.
The post is not negative, the video is. The post is positive in that it asks that other people not violate CAA and FAA regulations and gives an example of it being done.

In Canada no flight over urban areas are permitted....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I did that in my hometown, I'd be going to jail...

LOL

I think we need more reminders of what the actual rules are.
Some here more than others...

It's a shame. They cover their eyes and plug their ears to anything related to safety rules. I would imagine the London Limey is going to be working very hard this summer to pay off that huge fine his parents will be paying. I was going to say I hope he learns from it, but it doesn't sound like he will.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro 3

Reactions: GoodnNuff
@RickTBP look like you fly over Canada lan, right ?

Did you get some COAS to fly anytime ?
I just read the 129 pages document from TC (Transport Canada) and i'm still not sure how to ask for that COAS they are talking about.

You have any clue to help me and be "completly legal" in my next flights.

@RickTBP look like you fly over Canada lan, right ?

Did you get some COAS to fly anytime ?
I just read the 129 pages document from TC (Transport Canada) and i'm still not sure how to ask for that COAS they are talking about.

You have any clue to help me and be "completly legal" in my next flights.

I'm not Rick but have started looking into it. For our P3's (under 2kg) here's what I have found on Transport Canada's site. I am an insured photographer looking to expand to aerial photography.

First, non-commercial looks like this (kinda like, 'Be nice, clear your ice'. Canadian reference folks).

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents..._for_flying_your_drone_safely_and_legally.pdf

Now, COAS is the French acronym for SFCO (Special Flight Certificate of Operation)

Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada

Happy to share when I figure it out. And please correct me on any of these issues

Cheers, Paul

Different countries, different rules. But there are people breaking them everywhere. We do need to police our own. It's not that you can't fly in urban environments (at least in the US) but this is a perfect example of how not to do it. Apparently, the CAA have received multiple reports about this video and they will "be in touch" so to speak.

If you don't like it, don't read it. But I would suggest you should. The people most dismissive of the rules are the ones who need to listen the most. There are reasons for paying attention. You don't own the sky or the ground below it. Just like the rules of driving a car, there are rules for operating a drone.

Reactions: EddieM
@grottoli , thank's for that reply

Those 2 links you just include in the post are right. I'v put a printout of the first one in my boxshelf of P3 :)

For the second one, it's a long read text of 129 pages, roughly that can be cut in 3 pieces.
I will probably call TC soon that get more explanation and help to ask for my first COAS.
I just start to fly 2 weeks ago and now i'm ready to get some shots/videos of waterfall and bridges here in Canada (Quebec)

Reactions: grottoli
Different countries, different rules. But there are people breaking them everywhere. We do need to police our own. It's not that you can't fly in urban environments (at least in the US) but this is a perfect example of how not to do it. Apparently, the CAA have received multiple reports about this video and they will "be in touch" so to speak.

If you don't like it, don't read it. But I would suggest you should. The people most dismissive of the rules are the ones who need to listen the most. There are reasons for paying attention. You don't own the sky or the ground below it. Just like the rules of driving a car, there are rules for operating a drone.
There's also no need for countless threads that end up in nothing but bash fests vs "reminds of what not to do". There are different ways to go about things and the OP definitely took a more offensive route.

Reactions: clackey
There's also no need for countless threads that end up in nothing but bash fests vs "reminds of what not to do". There are different ways to go about things and the OP definitely took a more offensive route.
I'm so sorry that I offended you by pointing out that we must fly under a specific set of safety recommendations from the FAA and/or CAA. And further, that we should educate our fellow flyers of such rules. If I was trying to be offensive, I would have said something about you needing a safe space, or a nap, or a time-out. But I wouldn't, and I didn't.

Please fly safely! And have fun!

There are plenty of people who don't know the rules or chose not to follow them. If they find this thread and learn something, it's purpose is served.

I agree that the few bad apples will eventually ruin it for others.. but the comment by Meta that people do stupid things every day & they do not get banned got to me.
I'm old enough to remember when you could ride in the back of a pickup, no seats no seatbelts. Guess what, most USA states nowadays you will get stopped by the police & fined/a ticket for not being belted up. Let alone that you used to be able to ride in a car without seat belts, imagine that a car with no built in seatbelts, let alone buckled in.

What else, what else.. Oh everyones favorite handwarmer nowadays.. a cellphone. When I got my first mobile phone the bag was about the size of a good sized womans purse, used to talk on it when I was doing deliveries. No issue, people didn't care. Then people starting forgetting they were driving metal death cans hurtling down the road at 55mph or better for the most part, so places started banning talking on them, which turned into no texting & no hand held calls, most places are now hands free Bluetooth if your lucky that they haven't been banned totally as a driver.

What else.. another handheld favorite... guns, pistols, long guns, rifles, weapons etc ad nausum. CT pretty much bans rifles or long barrels, you need a special "license" to even buy ammo. DC & Chicago had/have banned the average joe carrying a legal pistol, others are looking into it or making it such a pain in the arse that most people say screw it & don't.

Now, you can say that the above is all good & needed, I don't. I've been in accidents that if I had been belted in I would be dead or paralyzed from the chest down. I've been hit, physically struck, by a driver in a car. I've been shot at.
But you know what, I still believe in the right to bear arms, specially pistols, not be restricted or have to have a special license to buy that ammo for my weapons, be as religious or non religious as I want to be, vote for who I want & not be told who will lead me, and I see us heading down a slippery slope if you don't think those jerks that are being "bad apples" aren't heading us that way.
A few bad apples have caused problems in other aspects of life, such as shooting up places, setting off bombs, being distracted drivers, or just being reckless which has caused more laws to be written in the USA that were already covered under existing current laws.

So, don't tell me that people being reckless with anything hasn't caused them to be banned or severely restricted Meta, you are very very wrong on that statement.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic