Drone fishing/drop rig setup

Im starting a new long range fishing updrade on kickstarter. Current plan is to include a namebrand soner m.odule, along with a brand new flight time option. I could use another developer if anyone with develipment skill sets wants to join me. My latezt idea is new and very very cool. If you want to help let me know. May need an nda to protect myself.

Almost 70% of K-starter donors never see anything for their investment.

The Phantom is a closed Eco-system flying camera platform and not really suitable for such re-purposing.

Thanks for your constructive feedback. A phantom was chosen because of its video capibility. Limited fkight time is the biggest issue, but analog video just is not good enough for offshore spotting. Fpvblue is not realeased, and connex is range limited. What platform would you suggest?

I happen to be able to self fund whatever , but kicnstarter is very good at discovering consumer interest with low risk.

Did you think i have not done many hours of r&d before even hinting at a product?

What do you think a video drone is good for, besides making it easier for peeping toms?

How many units do anticipate selling annually or what is break even point?

Sounds like you want to fish....much easier way then drone fishing.

Duct Tape
Stick dynamite
medium rock
Good arm

Tape rock to stick, lite and throw as far as possible

.......wait...after big bubble in lake...go retrieve fish...hurry they will wake up...most will !
Repeat as needed until tired of eating fish.

*** Watch the line on the fishing pole ****
My daughters boyfriend and I made a drop line for my drone. I tested it out before hand to make sure it would work.

We took it out to the ocean and everything was going great. The drone had the line and was cruising out over the water. Then I heard those last words "My line !!"
Turns out that I did not take into account that the fishing pole has a limited amount of fishing line. We were both watching the drone and when we reached the end of the fishing line, he held onto the fishing pole
and the drone went straight into the water. Never to be seen again.

Mate that sux. Sorry to hear. 20 - 25 pound on a 400 - 600m reel will set you right.

I find that 3 people (although that's a bit of an overkill for one line, fishing standards) is a good team. One flying/spotting (always on the drone & flying), the other holding and controlling the rod (where you are going to have it, don't try to move once drone is up and flying that is silly!!! remember you'll be pulling it around even though to can't tell at rod end), and the 3rd person doesn't take their eyes off the reel & line, quite literally - that is critical. Good communication between also, critical. Mark your 100, 200, 300, 400 or if your king kong - 500m marks so the reel person clearly sees the notches.

Put an extra 50 on after your max distance.

I've done about 50 + successful drops now since last post and ranting about getting into it, yep had a few close calls - but I think in all honesty that's drone fishing for you, not sure I agree with being too careful if you're going to drone fish, you take the risk or not, if that's what you go it for, go for gold. And if it's going to sink, do it properly. Smashing some serious fish though, that's the main thing, it's awesome if your a beach based/surfcasting type honestly, some good fish just a few hundred meters further out to be had.

Absolute rubbish in wind, waste of time trying, and too risky, wind plus the line plus the drone 30 - 40m above the sea is not good. Next thing you know you've been blown down the beach, panic setting in.

Surf - line, 'easily' get's caught in this depending on how high you go. Higher the better, but bearing in mind if the sun's offshore you ain't going to see the drone probably. If the surf catches your line, and you see it's clearly in the waves/water, drop the line immediately, don't muck around about this if you're wondering why the ocean below is coming up real quick this will be why. It nearly takes it in with the waves, drags the line down, plus your 100 + metres of line in the water just to heavy for the Phantom. Just don't bother with trying to go over waves unless your prepared to go very high before heading out. Not to mention, depending what kind of beach? who want's to reel in 400m of line and fish through surf, rips, and current like that!.

Nice flat beaches, or off the rocks - works a charm, awesome fun, and always something for local kids to come and watch I think pretty much everyone that's come across us has been stumped and had to stop to see how it all works.

I love my Phantom, but decided that you know what, It's an 'off road' phantom, and it loves the beach, sun, and heading out to catch some fish. I am thinking about getting another one, for all the fancy stuff, as I've realized too that I quite like the video and photo prospects, especially when out dirt biking and what not, it's awesome.

IMO so far, getting there, becoming a bit of a drone fisherman by experience, I can hand on heart say - if you have second thoughts about it, don't bother worry will make you ditch it in the sea, either that or get a second one, or a cheaper drone for fishing to get you started I guess. Without being too cocky, I've been a pretty hard core gamer all my life, so controlling the drone when it's about to play up isn't so bad if it's human error, you do indeed have to be quick on the controls contrary to when you are flying the done for photography or video - completely different ball game, think of Titanfall and stim, and controlling your pilot - same sort of thing! I have absolutely had some seriously close calls in the early drops though yes, absolutely. What an egg, I'd think to myself as well thereafter. Some would be surprised at just how quick maneuverable the Phantom is, it's got some serious control when you need to left, right, up, down, right left, down up within seconds seriously. The more you do drops, the better and more relaxed and systematic it becomes. Panic is the worst thing you can do fishing with it, and the first couple of times, you should absolutely be worried.....400 meters off shore with a line, sinker and bait under your drone? yea, not easy stuff.

Return to home, if your best friend when your out there. It's there, utilize it, you can't go wrong. I've been really impressed with this feature in all honesty. Once you drop, you can RTH and relax and she comes whizzing back in to home base for a landing and fresh battery.

Everytime you think somethings not right, you panic, can't see your drone, or your freaking out, drop the line straight away (who cares, better to send it out again) and RTH after you take a breath.

A lot of the accidents I've seen on YT or hear about always seem to be human error more than anything.

Oh well, that's my piece, suppose you'll want to see vids then? sure - my upload speed is rubbish & off putting but I most certainly will be putting one together with a whole lot of different catches into one vid.

Been having a lot of fun drone fishing, highly recommend to anyone, just be careful and think about what your doing once you're in the air. Looks good on Youtube, different story once your a couple of hundred meters off shore.

Good luck & go hard. These phantoms deserve to die with some dignity if their going too, I know eventually my working class phantom will! lol.

Last edited:
Forgot to say, 16ft odd surfcaster and you'll be away laughing, the higher the rod, the better.

And I got the dropper line kit installed (not sure what brand) but an after market one. Some of the home made one's look cool. An after market one though goes straight through your app so no pulling the line or breaking risking getting caught. Just opens up, and later - it's gone.

Last edited:
There was a few I saw using a metal hanger and rigging it up on the legs, the hanger would act simply as a holder a drop weight, teardrop shape.

Then after you get out to your spot, do a full backward run on the drone while kinda pullin the rod (Scary) and it comes off.

I'd be scared shitless to be honest, I plan on doing this, but what if I'm spooling out my line and it gets caught, either a bad spool job or a knot.
I have been using the coat hanger rig a long time,,the action is to run out to distance ,,,, stop FORWARD flight SLOWLY ,,,,, check with camera where you are,,,,, spin drone until showing line hanging clear,,close reel,,,, back drone of and watch gear drop,,,,,make shure your line is new ( no knots ) and fly slowly, before stopping,,,,as you could get swing back,,if you fly at spead and stop to quicly the drone tends to swing up ,,so putting the rear props low,,,this action can pick up your line and be a disaster THIS IS FROM EXSPERIANCE,,,,was well gutted when I lost my phantom at 300 yards bob ps you will find if your line gets hooked the drone will get pulled round and drop clear,,,,not possible with bait dropper soooo my view a hanger is safe cheap and works,,your line will always drop clear

I like the one where the guy uses the pin and antenna tube

the only thing I fear is the line hitting the props, if it even hits it once, its gone, iguess the trick is altitude, make sure you go high
fly slowly I had this happen,,rear prop picked up line,,,,,,,i was flying at speed an stopped to quicly ,, so pushed the drone upwards on tilt,, the rear props picked up line result drone lost,,,,soo fly high and slow,,,and stop forward flight SLOWLY

There was a few I saw using a metal hanger and rigging it up on the legs, the hanger would act simply as a holder a drop weight, teardrop shape.

Then after you get out to your spot, do a full backward run on the drone while kinda pullin the rod (Scary) and it comes off.

I'd be scared shitless to be honest, I plan on doing this, but what if I'm spooling out my line and it gets caught, either a bad spool job or a knot.
put new line on real,,,,,,, set your drone flight distance on settings,,to under amount of line on real,,this will stop you running out of line,,,,,,,set real so that if you give a fast pull on line it doesn't over run,,, fly slowly to stop swing back when you stop,,,,forward flight,,,,spin drone and look with camera at your gear,,,,close real,,,,back up slowly,,,and watch gear drop,,,,hit RTH JOB DONE I fly alone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik