Drone Base

Reaction score
Pros/Cons of becoming a Drone Base pilot to make money? Thoughts/experiences? Are they legit? I love making money and I love flying my P4. Their ads pop up on my social media. Somehow they figured out I have a drone [emoji2]

Paul

Pros/Cons of becoming a Drone Base pilot to make money? Thoughts/experiences? Are they legit? I love making money and I love flying my P4. Their ads pop up on my social media. Somehow they figured out I have a drone
emoji2.png

Paul
Yeh got same add but did sign up getty images where you can upload clips and get paided if someone purchase,its got all requirements there about length and how they want recored etc,i did upload a clip but didnt even recieve a reply,so either bad vidio or they were on smoko break,to this day have heard nothing, worth a try :)

Pros/Cons of becoming a Drone Base pilot to make money? Thoughts/experiences? Are they legit? I love making money and I love flying my P4. Their ads pop up on my social media. Somehow they figured out I have a drone [emoji2]

Paul

I signed up and did one of the panorama missions that you are able to do anytime and uploaded it, it got accepted but I never got paid for it but it says I should have. I received a client mission, that is someone specifically requesting images and accepted it, I went to the site and took pictures and uploaded them but I messed up and they said I had to fly it again, so I did. They accepted it the second time and I did get paid less than a week later. It doesn't seem worth it to me to do just the panorama missions, but the client missions pay well.

I signed up and did one of the panorama missions that you are able to do anytime and uploaded it, it got accepted but I never got paid for it but it says I should have. I received a client mission, that is someone specifically requesting images and accepted it, I went to the site and took pictures and uploaded them but I messed up and they said I had to fly it again, so I did. They accepted it the second time and I did get paid less than a week later. It doesn't seem worth it to me to do just the panorama missions, but the client missions pay well.
Thanks for sharing your input! I appreciate it :)

Reactions: joshuacarmack

Paul
pros not any , cons plenty . the biggest one is once you submit your work it becomes theirs . $50 maybe if your work gets sold is not worth it won't even fill the gas tank . let alone cover time involved . it is great for drone base as they get basically super cheap photos/videos that becomes their property and only pay a smitten for it then the make the big bucks with out ever leaving there home . JUST IMHO

I've completed 20 pano missions and have been paid on 15 of them. I live around a lot of houses so i can complete 10 jobs in less than a few square miles and takes about 2 hours to complete those 10 jobs. Its great if you feel like flying but don't really have anything specific to shoot. I haven't been approached for any client missions though unfortunately, I've seen they pay upwards of $300. I would definitely recommend trying it out though. Hope this helps.

I've completed 20 pano missions and have been paid on 15 of them. I live around a lot of houses so i can complete 10 jobs in less than a few square miles and takes about 2 hours to complete those 10 jobs. Its great if you feel like flying but don't really have anything specific to shoot. I haven't been approached for any client missions though unfortunately, I've seen they pay upwards of $300. I would definitely recommend trying it out though. Hope this helps.
It's truly amazing that you can drive around to 10 different jobs , set up your drone at each one and do this all in 2 hours ! you are truly fast . so please show us some check stubs . would love to see what they pay you for those 10 jobs

I've been doing work for Drone Base for over a month and I am very happy with these folks. I've been paid for two roof missions and about a dozen or more Pano missions, made over $400.00. Here's a few things to consider;

1. This is "beer money." Unless you're going to secure 3 or 4 roof inspections a day, don't think you're going to get rich doing this or quit your day job.

2. I do Pano missions at my convenience, basically to and from my full time job. If I'm board and have nothing to do I go out, not more than 10 miles from my home and do Panos.

3. I do nothing but commercial property, I don't like photographing private residences.

4. They (Drone Base) pay quickly. Communication is excellent and I hope they continue to grow.

5. I think the chance of "payout" on Pano missions may vary from city to city. Where I live the housing market is hot so I think that's why the Pano missions are paying.

6. It takes me 8 to 10 minutes for me to do a Pano mission. Roof inspections between 45 minutes to an hour.

By trade I'm an aircraft mechanic (A&P/ IA) and have always done "side work," either working on people's GA planes or I have worked as a part time flight instructor. If this continues to work I will forgo "wrenching and teaching" and just fly my drones. This new side work has been fun and enjoyable. BTW, my "Tach Time" (for those who know what that is) on my drone has been about $70.00 an hour.

No - I won't show you my check stubs.

Reactions: JWH
I've been doing work for Drone Base for over a month and I am very happy with these folks. I've been paid for two roof missions and about a dozen or more Pano missions, made over $400.00. Here's a few things to consider;

1. This is "beer money." Unless you're going to secure 3 or 4 roof inspections a day, don't think you're going to get rich doing this or quit your day job.

2. I do Pano missions at my convenience, basically to and from my full time job. If I'm board and have nothing to do I go out, not more than 10 miles from my home and do Panos.

3. I do nothing but commercial property, I don't like photographing private residences.

4. They (Drone Base) pay quickly. Communication is excellent and I hope they continue to grow.

5. I think the chance of "payout" on Pano missions may vary from city to city. Where I live the housing market is hot so I think that's why the Pano missions are paying.

6. It takes me 8 to 10 minutes for me to do a Pano mission. Roof inspections between 45 minutes to an hour.

By trade I'm an aircraft mechanic (A&P/ IA) and have always done "side work," either working on people's GA planes or I have worked as a part time flight instructor. If this continues to work I will forgo "wrenching and teaching" and just fly my drones. This new side work has been fun and enjoyable. BTW, my "Tach Time" (for those who know what that is) on my drone has been about $70.00 an hour.

So 26 jobs and a little over 400bucks ? that averages to just over $15.00 a job . how much is your liability insurance ? how much gas and wear and tear of your car ?
I see Drone base as a bad thing for those that will go out and make a ligit business out of inspections and photos/videos of property.
i guess some peoples time and investment isn't worth much , At least drone base is making some good bucks off of others peoples work

Reactions: LJM
I signed up on Drone Base. I have yet to receive an order for a client mission. I won't go fly the residential jobs without an order because that puts me into a position of flying over someone's property without their permission. One of their prospective jobs on the map was my daughter's house, which had been for sale and they hadn't closed on it yet!

I may do some of the commercial pano missions, if I can figure out how to safely do it early morning before the businesses open. All of the ones on the map in my area are over heavily populated areas. That seems too risky, unless I can arrange to fly it during times when no people are there.

It would be great to turn this fun hobby into a business, even if I just make enough to pay for the drone.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

You sound like a good friend of mine here in Georgia. He is a full time mechanic for an airline. He does GA aircraft on the side. He has done the annual inspections on my plane for many years. He does flight instruction too. He has all the FAA credentials; A&P/IA, pilot ratings all the way through ATP. He isn't into drones yet. I am just a private pilot, so I called him up to mess with him. I told him that I finally have an FAA rating that he doesn't have. He was puzzled for a while. I finally told him I had completed the part 107! :)

So 26 jobs and a little over 400bucks ? that averages to just over $15.00 a job . how much is your liability insurance ? how much gas and wear and tear of your car ?
$15.00 for 10 minutes, do the math - $90.00 an hour. Wear an tear on my car is negligible and without going into detail I'm insured through the company that covers me for my airplane and doing flight instruction.
I see Drone base as a bad thing for those that will go out and make a ligit business out of inspections and photos/videos of property.
i guess some peoples time and investment isn't worth much , At least drone base is making some good bucks off of others peoples work
Your opinion - as I said it's beer money, legit and I'm having fun doing it.

You sound like a good friend of mine here in Georgia. He is a full time mechanic for an airline. He does GA aircraft on the side. He has done the annual inspections on my plane for many years. He does flight instruction too. He has all the FAA credentials; A&P/IA, pilot ratings all the way through ATP. He isn't into drones yet. I am just a private pilot, so I called him up to mess with him. I told him that I finally have an FAA rating that he doesn't have. He was puzzled for a while. I finally told him I had completed the part 107! :)
I got my CFII and stopped there. I was starting to do my multi rating in hopes of eventually becoming a Corp. pilot but landed a pretty good job managing a fleet of GA aircraft for Uncle Sam. Getting into drones put me into a new direction and I'm really enjoying it!

I signed up on Drone Base. I have yet to receive an order for a client mission. I won't go fly the residential jobs without an order because that puts me into a position of flying over someone's property without their permission. One of their prospective jobs on the map was my daughter's house, which had been for sale and they hadn't closed on it yet!

I may do some of the commercial pano missions, if I can figure out how to safely do it early morning before the businesses open. All of the ones on the map in my area are over heavily populated areas. That seems too risky, unless I can arrange to fly it during times when no people are there.

It would be great to turn this fun hobby into a business, even if I just make enough to pay for the drone.

That's exactly where I'm at. Make a hobby into a money maker and maybe enough to pay for your "hobby" investment. I've done a few other endeavors on the side and this by far is the easiest way to get work, and again it's fun! At times I'd rather do this then droning around (pun intended) in my 172 looking for that perfect $100 hamburger! :)

$15.00 for 10 minutes, do the math - $90.00 an hour. Wear an tear on my car is negligible and without going into detail I'm insured through the company that covers me for my airplane and doing flight instruction.
Your opinion - as I said it's beer money, legit and I'm having fun doing it.
look at it how you want to make it justified in your head . $15.00 a job is a joke . you leave out to many costs . it's not $90 an hr and i highly doubt your 10 minute time frame for a shoot once on location . you have drive time and i doubt your insurance will cover your private use of your drone for commercial purposes . i can see your time is not worth much , your investment , or your drone . but it is to others that will do professional work and offer the full package to their clients . all the shoots you make and turn in are no longer yours , drones base is no doubt making over $300 or more per shoot . your just a contract employee . And Don't forget your taxes !
your helping drone base take away from ligit drone business's . if it makes you feel good great but in no way is drone base good for the industry. nor is it a business for any pilot
I guess your beer money will buy you new batteries and a new drone when needed that is if you don't drink it all up

Reactions: PhantomMan78
look at it how you want to make it justified in your head . $15.00 a job is a joke . you leave out to many costs . it's not $90 an hr and i highly doubt your 10 minute time frame for a shoot once on location . you have drive time and i doubt your insurance will cover your private use of your drone for commercial purposes . i can see your time is not worth much , your investment , or your drone . but it is to others that will do professional work and offer the full package to their clients . all the shoots you make and turn in are no longer yours , drones base is no doubt making over $300 or more per shoot . your just a contract employee . And Don't forget your taxes !
your helping drone base take away from ligit drone business's . if it makes you feel good great but in no way is drone base good for the industry. nor is it a business for any pilot
I guess your beer money will buy you new batteries and a new drone when needed that is if you don't drink it all up

Again your opinion with a lot of inaccuracies. The originator of this thread asked about experiences with Drone Base, I gave mine and could give a rats if you believe it or not!

I've been doing contract work for years and have ran several businesses so please spare me the whine. This is a legit business. Capitalism sucks at times. I have a 50 foot crying towel for you.

Last edited:
That's exactly where I'm at. Make a hobby into a money maker and maybe enough to pay for your "hobby" investment. I've done a few other endeavors on the side and this by far is the easiest way to get work, and again it's fun! At times I'd rather do this then droning around (pun intended) in my 172 looking for that perfect $100 hamburger! :)

We used to fly the 172 every Saturday for the $100 hamburger. It was a lot of fun, but we ran out of places to go.

The drone is a lot of fun. It doesn't burn 9 gallons of avgas an hour, so I can afford to fly it more!

Man your salty AF about this whole thread. I dont get why you keep bashing people for making money doing something they love. I just genuinely enjoy flying my P4 and if i can make ANY money doing it thats a plus. Your probably a really hard person to get along with...good day.

Ihaven
Man your salty AF about this whole thread. I dont get why you keep bashing people for making money doing something they love. I just genuinely enjoy flying my P4 and if i can make ANY money doing it thats a plus. Your probably a really hard person to get along with...good day.
I haven't bashed anyone . I have spoke out against drone base . I'm stating fact . so please tell me anything that i got wrong . if you want to take the risk and fly your drone for peanuts fine but pushing drone base as a good thing for people as any kind of business is a joke . My time is worth more then beer money along with my 1200 drone and other expenses . IF it makes you feel good do it . but to think it will lead to anything substantial is ludicrous.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj