Drone at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just curious about what I saw the other day. I was just seated on my flight from Fort Lauderdale to Houston. I was returning from filming in Newfoundland and the Bahamas for Sea Shepherd, so not new to drones. Much to my surprise, I see what looks like a Phantom series drone rise from behind the airliner in the photo. I was able to grab my phone and take this one shot capturing the drone hovering about 50' above the winglet of the airliner. after taking the shot I lost visual on the drone. When we taxied by the location I saw no one with a controller, nor the drone. This seems unusual, but maybe the drone is used to scare birds away? Maybe they were filming a commercial? Anyway, since I saw nothing in the news, I thought I'd share it here to get your pure speculation on the event =0)
Drone at FT Lauderdale.jpg

Reactions: ianzone and Capt KO
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just curious about what I saw the other day. I was just seated on my flight from Fort Lauderdale to Houston. I was returning from filming in Newfoundland and the Bahamas for Sea Shepherd, so not new to drones. Much to my surprise, I see what looks like a Phantom series drone rise from behind the airliner in the photo. I was able to grab my phone and take this one shot capturing the drone hovering about 50' above the winglet of the airliner. after taking the shot I lost visual on the drone. When we taxied by the location I saw no one with a controller, nor the drone. This seems unusual, but maybe the drone is used to scare birds away? Maybe they were filming a commercial? Anyway, since I saw nothing in the news, I thought I'd share it here to get your pure speculation on the event =0) View attachment 115506
It's a seagull dressed as a drone trying to steal a potato chip. Seriously sheezo, I can think of NO reason a drone could be anywhere near an operational aircraft, but it sure looks like a drone. I used to live near SRQ the Sarasota airport here on the other coast of Fla., and birds are a real problem here. I used to hear shotgun fire and finally discovered they use shotguns with blanks to scare birds. But I can not imagine the reason for the one you saw. Good Eye.

Capt KO

Capt KO
Reaction score
Blown up, it appears to have a bubble of some sort underneath where the camera would be. ?? Tech?

Drone killing drone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are deploying drones at airports to scare away birds, which are much deadlier to planes than drones. Or like the poster said, it could have many legal reason to be there. From airport inspection to airplane inspection to filming for the airport itself.

ianzone

**P4**
Reaction score
Yes blown up makes a strange shape,
Bit of topic but go the Sea Shepherd, just watched the thunder chase awesome,, @gringorio keep up the staunch work if you part of the team,;)

Reactions: gringorio

JeffreyS

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I flew out of Ft. Lauderdale airport on Wednesday. Didn't see any drones. Got home alive.

Reactions: gringorio

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ixf4414