Downtown Minneapolis Flying

Reaction score
Anyone know of issues or concerns flying over the Mississippi area in downtown Minneapolis? I was thinking of getting some video in the stone arch bridge area. It's more than 5 miles from MSP, but there are helipads all over the place down there.

That area looks like it'll give you some nice views. It's chilly there so keep them batteries warm. Pretty windy too so I'm surprised about flying there.

Are you flying Hobby or 107? if 107 then you *should* not, AFAIK, have to worry about the helipads in the sense the flying as Hobby does, for distance & notification.

Not withstanding the helipad issues (4 in the area says AirMap & it gives phone #'s), I don't see why you could not fly there. Looks to be far enough from KMSP KSTP & KMIC airports.

You are within 3 miles of the USBank stadium / MetroDome (?) so the No Fly Zone rules regarding that apply.

AirMap and NPS.GOV seem to indicate the river and the surrounding banks are part of a National Park. The NPS says Take Off / Landing are prohibited in National Parks as we all know, right?.

Also nearby is the Southeast Steam Plant, so no loitering around / over it is advised.

I haven't looked at the Hobby rules regarding visibility and ceiling but IIRC for 107 it's 3SM and 1,000ft.. Since it's not summer time then down/up drafts when transitioning near the shore to over the river should not be much of a concern.

That's about all I can see. Of course I'm sure others will chime in if there is anything else.

Daveisim, thank you for taking the time to reply. Good information there. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking based on my understanding of the law and published guidelines. I know I've seen footage from downtown river area from some rather brave pilots, but of course that alone doesn't makes it legal.

I am very envious! I moved to AZ from MN 2 years ago (lived in Cottage Grove) and I have also thought there would be some very cool things to shoot. Davisim gives some great advice. I looked at DJI's no fly zone map and there aren't any no fly zones downtown. Your copter won't even make it off the ground if you're in one anyways. USBank Stadium would be very, very cool. If there is an event there will probably be a TFR in place and you shouldn't even think about it. Any other times I don't *think* there would be anything legally preventing you. Me personally, I'd stay away from the stadium but that's just me. According to the FAA, if you're flying for fun you should never fly near/over a stadium. Regarding airspace, you'll be in Class B airspace but it looks like it doesn't start until 2300 ft. according to where you would be.

Good luck and post some content if you pull the trigger. On a side note, judging by your handle I'm guessing you could probably get some great footage over Lake Minnetonka during the Summer. ;)

Reactions: TonkaMayhem
. If there is an event there will probably be a TFR in place
And there is a standing TFR / NOTAM regarding stadium events. Google NOTAM 9/5151

... Regarding airspace, you'll be in Class B airspace but it looks like it doesn't start until 2300 ft. ...

Remember that's 2300' MSL. Ground level around there is mid-800's to mid-900's MSL so adjust accordingly. Typically the inner layer bottom under the Class B or C is about 1100-1500AGL. Sometimes higher.

Reactions: InforGuy
And there is a standing TFR / NOTAM regarding stadium events. Google NOTAM 9/5151

Remember that's 2300' MSL. Ground level around there is mid-800's to mid-900's MSL so adjust accordingly. Typically the inner layer bottom under the Class B or C is about 1100-1500AGL. Sometimes higher.
Yes, very important point. Thanks for correcting.

Oh I apologize if it sounded I was stepping on your toes. You weren't wrong, I was just relaying some additional info.
Oh gosh no - I was/am being very sincere. That is one reason why I hate every kind of electronic communication - things can get misinterpreted or lost in translation. No worries!

I am very envious! I moved to AZ from MN 2 years ago (lived in Cottage Grove) and I have also thought there would be some very cool things to shoot. Davisim gives some great advice. I looked at DJI's no fly zone map and there aren't any no fly zones downtown. Your copter won't even make it off the ground if you're in one anyways. USBank Stadium would be very, very cool. If there is an event there will probably be a TFR in place and you shouldn't even think about it. Any other times I don't *think* there would be anything legally preventing you. Me personally, I'd stay away from the stadium but that's just me. According to the FAA, if you're flying for fun you should never fly near/over a stadium. Regarding airspace, you'll be in Class B airspace but it looks like it doesn't start until 2300 ft. according to where you would be.

Good luck and post some content if you pull the trigger. On a side note, judging by your handle I'm guessing you could probably get some great footage over Lake Minnetonka during the Summer. ;)

Good comments. Yeah, I had no plans to fly near US Bank Stadium. I have seen drone footage of someone flying right over the thing. With winter settling in now, I'm not sure if I will fly much before spring.

Yeah I love being on the water on Lake Minnetonka. I have a few drone flights off of my boat.I learned under duress that your home point doesn't move along with you when the boat is drifting. :openmouth:

Good comments. Yeah, I had no plans to fly near US Bank Stadium. I have seen drone footage of someone flying right over the thing. With winter settling in now, I'm not sure if I will fly much before spring.

Yeah I love being on the water on Lake Minnetonka. I have a few drone flights off of my boat.I learned under duress that your home point doesn't move along with you when the boat is drifting. :openmouth:
Yep, I don't believe there is a dynamic home point feature available. you'd have to keep resetting your home point via the app while out floating.

Good luck!

I live downtown directly across from US Bank Stadium. I flew my Spark this morning from the roof of my building towards US Bank Stadium, but got nervous because of the winds blowing the copter around like a baloon in the wind and compass errors whenever it got within 70 yards of a building. I reached the area above the light rail turned around and am back. Flight time under 7 minutes.

Anyone of youare welcome to get in touch with me and we can arrange a time to fly from the Edition apartments roof. I would appreciate the knowledge transfer from someone who has been doing this longer.

Here are a few:
o Dickman Park. NE Main St and NE 7th Ave.
o North Bryant Ave and North 18th Ave.
o North Lyndale and North 14th Ave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers