Download and preview photos while in the air

Reaction score
I used to be able to download photos to my phone while the phantom was in the air or on the ground while it was on.

I would hit the play icon in the right then on each photo I could download. This option is not there anymore.

How can I get images immediately again?!

Why the hurry or rush? And the quality is best as recorded onto the micro SD card (which can’t be accessed until after landing). I’m an experienced professional and it takes all of my concentration and time in the air to get the very best composition - then to double check exposure and other settings, plus to make sure I’m flying safely - without worrying about the immediate transference of data. Or are you a journalist where every minute counts in our 24-hour-news world?

Apologies, Brian, if I’m missing something. I’m just trying to be helpful. Getting a “wow” image (or footage) takes a lot of effort.

Why the hurry or rush? And the quality is best as recorded onto the micro SD card (which can’t be accessed until after landing). I’m an experienced professional and it takes all of my concentration and time in the air to get the very best composition - then to double check exposure and other settings, plus to make sure I’m flying safely - without worrying about the immediate transference of data. Or are you a journalist where every minute counts in our 24-hour-news world?

Apologies, Brian, if I’m missing something. I’m just trying to be helpful. Getting a “wow” image (or footage) takes a lot of effort.

In a situation like the OP explained, he may want a quick file to post to some form of social media (where the quality is generally compressed, and lacking anyway) or want to send the image containing “X” to a friend, regardless of quality. Sometimes, especially to a non-professional, quality is moot. I wouldve found it more pertinent to answer the OP’s question instead of bantering. Be helpful instead of telling him why you think his question is irrelevant.

As for the OP, this function you speak of is still working for me as of yesterday. Have you changed anything recently?

In a situation like the OP explained, he may want a quick file to post to some form of social media (where the quality is generally compressed, and lacking anyway) or want to send the image containing “X” to a friend, regardless of quality. Sometimes, especially to a non-professional, quality is moot. I wouldve found it more pertinent to answer the OP’s question instead of bantering. Be helpful instead of telling him why you think his question is irrelevant.

As for the OP, this function you speak of is still working for me as of yesterday. Have you changed anything recently?

I have a new iPhone X phone. I went through every single setting.

I need for social media and have right away is important.

Sounds like you have "cache video locally" turned off in the go app. Goto camera settings in the go app and check that its enabled and select your cache size. That should bring back the preview mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

DKG13CC: In my reply, I clearly asked if there was some reason for speed. And, yes, a social media post was the most likely reason (since confirmed). But, equally so, there have been a few posts I’ve seen in the past year where forum members have believed that cached footage or stills are the same quality as data from the micro SD card - not true - which is why I mentioned that particular point. After all, this is a forum for people of varying degrees of knowledge, expertise, and reasons for flying to learn - and I’m very aware that it isn’t just the OP in each case who stands to possibly benefit. Very few of us read everything going way back, so any thread or post is potentially beneficial in a wider way.

Yes, quality isn’t always needed. But it is gradually being appreciated more and more. And social media is changing to accommodate better quality images. The days of low resolution images are gone or reclining into the past. Most people get better and better with quality - through education and general exposure to the concept that quality is usually preferable and a statement in itself.

An additional tiny point, which I didn’t make above, would be to wait until after landing before accessing a cached image. (The OP did state this as one of two options he’d previously used.) Anything you don’t need to do whilst flying the drone has to be a step towards decreasing the risk of crashing - which, at very least, is inconvenient and likely costly. Sadly, drone crashes are hardly a rarity. Multi-tasking can be done, but research has confirmed that it always reduces competence and increases the risk of something going wrong. “Less haste, more speed” and so on.

Reactions: DKG13CC
I fly golf courses... slow. Having a preview is show to client is awesome. Post a quick social media post is even better.

In past, I hit the play icon and there was a download. (Not sure it was cached).. I am 90% sure caching video is on and I see nothing on my iPhone in photos, in the app and the download option is gone.

I fly golf courses... slow. Having a preview is show to client is awesome. Post a quick social media post is even better.

In past, I hit the play icon and there was a download. (Not sure it was cached).. I am 90% sure caching video is on and I see nothing on my iPhone in photos, in the app and the download option is gone.
I would confirm it's turned on and not full. There's a setting to auto delete the oldest cached data if its full and that may be turned off.

Most people get better and better with quality - through education and general exposure to the concept that quality is usually preferable and a statement in itself.

An additional tiny point, which I didn’t make above, would be to wait until after landing before accessing a cached image. (The OP did state this as one of two options he’d previously used.) Anything you don’t need to do whilst flying the drone has to be a step towards decreasing the risk of crashing - which, at very least, is inconvenient and likely costly. Sadly, drone crashes are hardly a rarity. Multi-tasking can be done, but research has confirmed that it always reduces competence and increases the risk of something going wrong. “Less haste, more speed” and so on.

I completely agree with that, and from that perspective I understand your reply better. Youre very right in going ahead and landing before accessing the cache. Going temporarily blind in the air isnt preferred for safety.

Ill add Ive watched and listened to your criticism on this forum and have applied it to my work and seen great improvements. I thank you for that.

I have a new iPhone X phone. I went through every single setting.

Im not sure the issue is in the phone as I used that device and now have an XS with no issues. What app version are you on?

Once you press the “play” button try pressing “select” at the top right and then tap each media file to select. Then, once youve selected your desired targets, press the little down arrow at the bottom left pointing into a tray. Do note that if youre only shooting raw photos, or 4K video, its inaccessible over the air. Only jpegs and 1080p video or less can be downloaded over air.

The download icon is not there anymore - I shoot jpgs. I will adjust the settings mentioned above
This from me p4,,once you select ,the download option comes up
Screenshot_20181017-093020.jpg
Screenshot_20181017-092925.jpg
Screenshot_20181017-092959.jpg

I get to these menus and the download icon is not there. Was not for my iPhone 10 and now the new one.
Um not sure why yours like that,mine was not there till I selected something,,mayby try reinstall the app,it might return,,,,,,my pictures wrong way around ,second pic should be at top,,,see in my second picture the download icon is greyed out until I select ,,,is yours like that or just not there,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DKG13CC
I get to these menus and the download icon is not there. Was not for my iPhone 10 and now the new one.

Im not sure if this is plausible, but is it possible your phones memory is full and not allowing the drop? Im spitballing here. Id advise trying to uninstall and reinstall the app also.

I used to be able to download photos to my phone while the phantom was in the air or on the ground while it was on.

I would hit the play icon in the right then on each photo I could download. This option is not there anymore.

How can I get images immediately again?!
Are you shooting 100% in RAW mode? You can try to set this to DNG+JPG. At that time it should be possible to download the JPG.

Still you have to keep in mind that the DNG can be edited afterwards and will be of a higher quality!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers