Downgrading from 1.8.8 to 1.7.6 messed up my gimbal

Reaction score
Hey all - had terrible range issues (including loss of signal with drone in perfect LOS 100 feet away) with 1.8, so just rolled back to 1.7.6. Unfortunately during the FW flashing the gimbal started making a terrible buzzing, and now here's what the gimbal does:

I do have Rainbower's fantastic set of ND filters and the barrel/ring to mount them, so I also have the included weights on the gimbal arms where he says to put them and it's perfectly balanced when off, so I know that's not the issue.

One other oddity is that it's a P3A with a Pro cam/gimbal; did that very early on and zero issues since except awesome 4k footage.

Zero crashes or events, and worked perfectly for hundreds of flights before the firmware downgrade.

Thank you VERY much for your help!!!!

I should add that I did recalibrate the IMU, relink the controller, and recalibrate both the gimbal and controller.

The thing flies great now...just the gimbal has palsy :/

I've been under the impression that the latest firmwares were "all in one" releases - was this not the case with 1.7.6?

The file I got from phantomhelp.com.was P3X_FW_V01.07.0060.bin.

Thanks a lot!

That's the pro version I believe. The Advanced began with P3S believe it or not.
The rest of the AC is the same for Pro and Adv. but gimbal is different hardware needing different firmware, thus different FW package.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Gotcha. So because mine is basically a pro since it has a pro gimbal and a pro camera, that was the right one for me, correct?

Yup. As a Matter of fact, if you have the gimbal removed, the app will report your craft as a Pro. Freaked me out for a minute when I ran a test motor run without the gimbal to be sure the motor replacement went OK before putting it all together. Then "oh yeah, no gimbal".

OK, I'm confused......so yours was originally an Advanced, but you put a Pro gimbal on, and without the gimbal the app identified it as a Pro? Or the other way around??

I have loaded Pro firmware on the upgraded bird before with no issues......but I don't know how else to explain the issues I'm having.....gimbal control is all whacked out, almost like it's expecting a different gimbal......

I have an Advanced gimbal, but immediately after replacing the motor and before I closed her up, I wanted to make sure it worked where I didn't have the gimbal installed at that time which is when GO reported it as a Pro. Must be the default discovery if no gimbal is reporting.
You have a Pro gimbal, so you need to use the Pro firmware package. The file name you indicated is for the pro so it looks like you are doing it right.
Unless the gimbal isn't really a Pro.

I'm not sure if you didn't understood what @DanMan32 proposed, or checked that and still have issues.
If it's the latter, please post your update log from the P3X firmware update - maybe then someone will be able to help.

Hey all - I apologize! I must still be fuzzy on this. I thought he was saying to be sure I was using Pro firmware, which I was; did I misunderstand? Should I try Advanced firmware instead? Though I thought 1.7.6 was an all-in-one release.....was it not? Should I try a P3S firmware instead?

If that was the cause of this issue, I would be delighted!! Thanks for the help!

And here's what the update log has to say. First several attempts at downgrading was me formatting the card and putting the 1.7.6 firmware on it, but it wouldn't downgrade, saying "The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version." So, I added an empty debug file and it did start the firmware downgrade.

ALTHOUGH...it simply says 1.7.6 "Upgrading...." - never anything about it being completed, though the AC beeped in the "FW flashing finished" way and the status LED turned green.....so maybe it didn't completely finish? So weird.......continued input greatly appreciated!

You should use pro (P3X) firmware. Actually thinking about it, the camera probably wouldn't even accept the firmware from Advanced - the pro version probably only searches for files which start with "P3X".

Anyway there should be a second log, with more details within, ie. versions of software in all components.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing another log, but I will look as soon as I get home! Would be very useful to see all software versions involved. Thanks quad!

Ran the update again, same result - no detailed log, just "upgrading"... I gave up and emailed DJI :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20