Double check your missions !

Reaction score
I swear I am the luckiest guy ever. I also just realized I only seem to post my stupid screw ups. I fly a lot but never post the good ones. Maybe some of you can learn from this. AKA dont be stupid.

Let me preface this by saying I have been flying the phantom "like I stole it" since ordering a new Solo. And having more fun than ever.

The lesson here if you fly missions is double/triple check your missions. Elevation, waypoints, etc. This was a stupid error that could have been avoidable if I rechecked my mission as I usually do.

No damage although I might replace the motors and/or ESCs as they were hot and still trying to spin when I found it.

Reactions: yorlik
Thanks for the PSA - a good reminder to all of us. Great soundtrack too.

How did you find your bird - did your Marco Polo work?

Yes Marco Polo for the win. I was about a mile and half from where I lifted off. So started heading the direction I flew and picked it up about 1/2 mile away. The weeds (poison ivy) was about 4 to 5 feet tall. I doubt I would have found it with something with 50 to 100,' accuracy. The Marco Polo took to to the point I about stepped on it.

This is 3rd time I have went after it with the tracker. Worked all three times.
20150614_102532.jpg

The tracker did better that the pilot. Good reminder for us all the get height to clear the trees or else stay in the channel so to speak as captain of plane or was that captain of a boat(grin) . Good recovery hope the ESC's were not damaged.
Mine went down on wood and motors running for 7 minutes with two motors props hung. Got a little hot but no damage either. Seems if the go for 12-15 minutes they overheat and start melting or burn out ESC. Happy next mission. I love waypoint flying but really have to be careful and do the math out and back, up and down.

You are right Roy. Tracker did better than pilot. It was my intent to fly the river below the trees but I moved a waypoint to line things better and do not recheck it. My fault for sure.

I just tossed in a battery and launched it in front yard and flew around for 5 minutes. Everything seems OK. I think I will burn a couple batteries in the yard before going long :)

jeeez.... first the crash on the river bank, now this.

the Phantom took multiple lickings and kept on ticking. Calling it Timex?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20