there are much cheaper and better alternatives. As an example the tk102 tracker. www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLq1w2n_6As

We use it every time we send the bird far enough and/or above rough terrain.

We have been testing it and the worse result was about 10 meters from the actual location. You find it for 15 usd and you add a preloaded sim card for a few bucks.
I'm guessing this wouldn't be useful in areas where this no cellular reception, but the Marco Polo device would, yes?

I'm guessing this wouldn't be useful in areas where this no cellular reception, but the Marco Polo device would, yes?
if no GSM signal.... no GSM tracking.

I live in a microscopic country -Switzerland- where we have cellular coverage to the last square cm so for us is not a problem.

If someone doesn't know the general direction their drone was at when last under control, to get somewhat closer, they may need other help.

I know where my p4 is by looking at the map on screen, the other info tells me distance, speed, height. If you dont go too far away then there is nothing to worry about. If flyaways were a real problem rather than a **** up by the operator who hasnt learnt what everything does but who wants to get out there straight away, then they wouldnt sell any, who would want to buy something like that

Save your money, read and learn to fly, if youbreally do want something, get the tk version like some has posted elsewhere, cheap and works

there are much cheaper and better alternatives. As an example the tk102 tracker. www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLq1w2n_6As

We use it every time we send the bird far enough and/or above rough terrain.

We have been testing it and the worse result was about 10 meters from the actual location. You find it for 15 usd and you add a preloaded sim card for a few bucks.

Also using the same on my P3A and have a matching holder which is mounted on the side, just next to the RX pair button.
As I just received the tracker and did not fly with it yet: Do you notice any interference with compass/control or anything? And did you try requesting the location when flying? That would be a good "interference" test cause the tk102 will be receiving a call and sending a SMS.

Another one: When pressing the TK102 powerbutton for 5 seconds it will shut off, will it in this "off mode" not use any battery anymore?

If someone doesn't know the general direction their drone was at when last under control, to get somewhat closer, they may need other help.

we fly our drone most of the time for survey and photogrammetry. Sometime we are over very rugged areas with plenty of vegetation and using software like Altizure for driving the drone. It is very easy to loose visual control with the drone.
The "somewhat closer" is by far not good enough.

The only time we lost it -our error in setting the altitude- we knew roughly were it was. The place was of very difficult and dangerous access. It took us two full days to find it -with just one propeller damaged-. Had we equipped the drone with the tk102 it would have taken minutes.

Last edited:
Also using the same on my P3A and have a matching holder which is mounted on the side, just next to the RX pair button.
As I just received the tracker and did not fly with it yet: Do you notice any interference with compass/control or anything? And did you try requesting the location when flying? That would be a good "interference" test cause the tk102 will be receiving a call and sending a SMS.

Another one: When pressing the TK102 powerbutton for 5 seconds it will shut off, will it in this "off mode" not use any battery anymore?

Run plenty of test. Absolutely no interference with video or commands between remote and drone. Every time you call the number you get the exact lat/long position as well as its point on the map if your phone is connected with the internet.
You can also program it to send you a position report at a given time interval.

If you switch the tk102 off it won't draw any current. We have been leaving ours for 2 months without recharging and they were still working just well.

Reactions: Flash3d
Flyaways do happen.....
Regardless of system failure or pilot error, many will find themselves experiencing that sinking feeling when your Phantom drifts off on its own.
Most commercial pilots use our Marco Polo trackers on every job.
Watch our video at www.UAVfind.com and see the Marco Polo tracker in action.
No GPS. No monthly fees. 2 mile range.
Fly Safe......

is it really accurate to say most pilots use marco polo? do you have data to back that up?

From my interactions with commercial pilots Trackmo is the market leader and most popular.

tk102 tracker - the best value

Last edited:
I don't think there is a fit you all system out there.

In most of our areas we are on a very sloping and exposed terrain, were you often need to descend with ropes.
Trying to track a signal with a Marco Polo in such a situation would spell pure nonsense.

A GPS system tells me exactly where the drone is and I just have to get there.

On the other hand if you are in a place with no GSM coverage, a system like the RK102 is just useless and your only option are Marco Polo, Trackmo and similar.

I don't believe in flyaways are so current. My experience is more that people either lose visual contact and react wrongly and/or fly programmed routes -Litchi, Altizure, etc- and make a mistake with the altitude.

if no GSM signal.... no GSM tracking.

I live in a microscopic country -Switzerland- where we have cellular coverage to the last square cm so for us is not a problem.
But for those who fly in areas without cellular signal, this product wouldn't work, correct?

The only product that would work in an area where there's no cellular coverage would be Marco Polo. Macro Polo does not rely on any cellular or GPS availability.
How about getting a brightly colored helium filled party baloon and tying it to the P4 with a long length of string - then just look out for the baloon with binoculars when it crashes

I bought RFV18 tracker and can not get it to work. It says I'm offline in app and can not even get tracker to answer a call to it. Using h2o & At&t SIM card and neither will work. I've read that it has to do with 2g not being supported after 2016. If anyone knows answer please let me know. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub