Don't Fly to Istanbul!

Apparently he was reported and appears in this Turkish news article Dated January 18, 2015. http://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik-haberleri/ahl-uzerinde-skandal-ucus.html

According to Google Translate it reads..
---------------------------------
"Aspetti Manukyan event is created images taken by the young aviation enthusiast.
Ataturk Airport for minutes display area on and around young, flight response drew on the grounds that jeopardize safety.

Manukyan's 12-minute video of the social networking site shortly after loading the YouTube commentators accused engaged
in dangerous shot from planes landing in the pattern of irresponsibility Manoukian.

Remote lifted the video on responses from uncontrolled shooting that Manukyan in the region with their takeoffs and landings
of aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles. Manukyan that Airporthaber get "GPS system on the air in the vehicle does not permit
to be made shots airports. The system remains is disabled automatically. I wanted to shoot on the airport to try it. I waited
for the disarming of the GPS system, but I continued to empty of shooting. I did not have a bad intention "he said.

On the other hand, this has reached some pilots Airporthaber for images and image areas expressed in response to the person.

Aviation should make unauthorized flight ban rules on airports. Police and military personnel were flown over the airport where
you have to fly by even let's sanctions.

Acts of terrorism to continue discussions after this flight made to show the way, how about a process Aspetta Manukyan
is curious to do.

Here rattling handles traffic between Ataturk Airport invites danger in the sky as she brings the aircraft's take it displays:"
---------------------------

Clearly, Google translate isn't great. But from what I can gleam from it, it seems clear that he didn't have permission and flew with the GPS turned off
to avoid the no-fly zone restriction. I don't read turkish, so I don't know if he was prosecuted.

According to another news story... "An amateur drone pilot has revealed that any remote-control unmanned vehicle can freely roam the skies over a busy Istanbul airport, despite huge risks. Turkey’s General Directorate of State Airports Authority (DHMİ) launched an investigation after Aspet Manukyan, an amateur drone pilot, shot 12 minute-long footage with an unmanned vehicle flying unauthorized over the Istanbul Atatürk Airport, Doğan News Agency reported Jan. 19. The police are conducting a separate investigation."

I liked the video I found (assuming I found the right one), and I'd do it too if I knew I was the only person doing it and I was not going to be arrested and my drone confiscated. Unfortunately I know the latter is probably the case, so I won't be doing it. If everybody was doing that, then we would have a real problem (because the probabilities of crashing would escalate).

and this quote sums up what is going to kill our hobby.

Meanwhile, Sefa İnan, a retired Turkish Airlines technician, said the sale of drones should be regulated. “There should be directives. Any person can buy and fly a drone anywhere now; this should be stopped,” İnan added.

Completely lame excuse that he "was just testing security". I'm sure the authorities will thank him for that in their own special way.

Shouldn't this thread be in General Discussion?

Probably should have been in NEWS.

Since he didn't have permission his drone(s) should be confiscated and he should be banned for ever owning one again. If caught with a drone, will be charged with felony possession and do at least 2 years in the pen, sort of like the gun laws in America.

LordEvil said:
Since he didn't have permission his drone(s) should be confiscated and he should be banned for ever owning one again. If caught with a drone, will be charged with felony possession and do at least 2 years in the pen, sort of like the gun laws in America.

Seriously, does that even make sense to you?

I must say I was surprised to see the "authorized" drone video in Mexico. Either way, I think that authorizing this kind of activity is completely irresponsible. The risks are too high, and I am not just talking about a collision with an airplane - this actually has a lower risk. However debris on the runway from a crashed drone could be aspirated in a jet engine and cause a disaster. Airports are for airplanes not for drones, at least not yet - when they do not have enough redundancies and safety mechanisms.

As to regulation not being able to stop the crazy guy - I agree, it won't stop the crazy one. But I am not worried about the crazy one, as much as I am worried about the one trying to 'be cool'. Or the 'me too' guy. Look at the responses on this thread. There are already some that said they would do it too. There are probably more thinking they want to do it, that want to 'dare it'. For these, the regulation should be an important factor. Regulation could also impose creating devices with systems that are not easily hacked to turn the GPS off.We will not stop all of them, but if we stop the majority of these that think 'they are so cool, cause they pulled off doing something that is daring and forbidden', then we would have a safer place.

Foosy said:
I must say I was surprised to see the "authorized" drone video in Mexico. Either way, I think that authorizing this kind of activity is completely irresponsible. The risks are too high, and I am not just talking about a collision with an airplane - this actually has a lower risk. However debris on the runway from a crashed drone could be aspirated in a jet engine and cause a disaster. Airports are for airplanes not for drones, at least not yet - when they do not have enough redundancies and safety mechanisms.

I'm not seeing why the authorized flight was irresponsible. The runways, taxiways and tarmac are controlled environments. The drone operator was under the supervision, and in close contact with, the control tower and pilots. In this instance, a crashed drone on the runway would have been known to air traffic control.

Doesn't matter if there was some kind of permission.It's freaking stupid to put this on Youtube.It's a wrong example of showing what drones can do.There will be always idiots who are trying to do this also.It's good for politicians,so they can shout about "drones must be banned".I think I wouldn't be happy if I was on a plane and a drone is above this plane

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj