Don't buy cheap cases for your drone

So Dirk, I like the custom embroidered Phantom Pilots logo you have there. Sharp! ;)
I know people :cool:
monker thumbup.gif

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I purchased the DJI Hardshell backpack but it was not what I was looking for.

I wanted a backpack that I would put into an Osprey Aether 70 backpack so that I could bring my P3P to the mountains including water, food and additional clothing. For my opinion Osprey packs are the best you can have for hiking.

Now I purchased another one from Amazon China - Anbee Backpack for DJI Phantom 3. It looks narrower than the original DJI Hardshell backpack so I really hope it will fit. I also plan to cut off the straps to make it even more fit to my Osprey backpack.

But until I get it from China I just made a shell from a paper box. I first put the P3P into this paper box shell, then I put the shell into my Osprey Atmos 50 AG backpack. I was still able to add 2 liters of water, food for the whole day, two fleece jackets, a lower layer shirt and 3 additional DJI batteries. I was in the mountains today. So far so good.
I've got that Anbee one, and been using it since September. I'm more than happy with it, with the right configuration I van easily get everything in, including windsurfer, sunshades, tablet, at least 2 batteries etc. Build quality seems good too.....

I have the hard case. Good quality. The only thing I don't like is you can't fit the props in it once you take them off the bird. So I took a knife to it and cut out one of the side foam pockets. So all fits now. The only thing I have to carry is the iPad. There are bigger cases out there. Mine came with a bundle from slr hut which effectively made it free. Good but would be annoyed if I paid full price and had to cut it to fit the props. Where do they think you put them?

hi,
I noticed that you mentioned slr hut.
I am in the process of research to buy a P3 advance or Pro and I know the Advanced is on offer at most places but the Pro is still very expensive.
I noticed slr hut had the pro for a good price including a spare battery and a backpack, the only problem is I have heard mixed reviews of slr hut and I'm a bit worried that if I use them I will be making a big mistake.
I know the phantom is made overseas but I live in the UK and I don't want to end up without support if slr hut use so called grey imports.

Sorry for crashing the thread and thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Has anybody found a case that doesn't require removing the propellors?
I feel like the plastic threads inside the propellor will wear out if I'm removing them every time I fly.

I have the Manfrotto D1 and it's very good. I can't fault it to be honest and I went through three backpacks trying to find one that suited!

Got mine for £130 delivered from 3DBroadcastsales - Calumet will price match them if you prefer.

I recommend it :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RayH
I have the Manfrotto D1 and it's very good. I can't fault it to be honest and I went through three backpacks trying to find one that suited!

Got mine for £130 delivered from 3DBroadcastsales - Calumet will price match them if you prefer.

I recommend it :)

I was looking at them to buy some stuff from, how did you find them service wise?
I have just noticed a solid case on there which lets you leave your blades on......
HPRC 2700WPHA3 Wheeled Hard Case for DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter | 3D Broadcast

3DBroadcast sales were good.

Hard cases offer ultimate protection but at a cost of weight.

I tried a £109 German made (MC Cases) backpack from Amazon the foam was great the backpack was like something you would give a primary school kid.

Then I tried the Manfrotto 35N1 (like the Expensive DJI backpack only a third of the price) but it was useless due to tight fit and Velcro that wouldn't stick.

Then I bought a B&W Type 61 Phantom 3 case with harness.

It's great but heavy!

And now I have the Manfrotto D1 and despite me being the fussiest of people in the U.K (if I'm spending £130 on a backpack I don't want one that looks like it can be picked up from Asda)

The D1 is perfect for me and I highly recommend it.

I have attached some pics if you want any specific shots just let me know and I will gladly supply.

Good luck in your choice - My own advice is to try the D1 if tempted.

Even if you don't like it you have 14 days to return worst case it's £11 for return postage.

You can have the Props on in the D1 and it seems fine for moving a little bit onwards to a new location nearby.

I'm not sure I would have them out all the time as they are by design exposed to falls etc

Hope it helps!

Murray

b29d8e80216d23267f742061c7c3c201.jpg
9db6b21e80f2ef2bc1bef3523d659b1c.jpg
3c3ebddef60b209a8d29b0b72b3dca26.jpg
f31855e169bc62d3cd9e072ddc13e9a9.jpg
2bde27ce3df0e29e92660b9d4d5247b9.jpg
5b23a0ab56f19619daea5575d4afbad5.jpg
dd22bb72dd0dcf50e8b220ac6394fa69.jpg

Reactions: Ti22 and RayH
Thanks for that, I will be getting one [emoji106]. It looks a lot nicer than the dji one.

I purchased the DJI Hardshell backpack but it was not what I was looking for.

I wanted a backpack that I would put into an Osprey Aether 70 backpack so that I could bring my P3P to the mountains including water, food and additional clothing. For my opinion Osprey packs are the best you can have for hiking.

Any way you could share some pictures? I'm looking to do the same thing. Mainly day hikes but will still need food water etc. Been looking at modifying a lowepro camera bag. (ProTactic 450)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Any way you could share some pictures? I'm looking to do the same thing. Mainly day hikes but will still need food water etc. Been looking at modifying a lowepro camera bag. (ProTactic 450)
Hi, I'm sorry for being a bit late. I didn't notice your post before.

I did some changes to my setup since I wrote that. I still have the Osprey Aether 70 backpack for hiking. But I sent the protective Chinese backpack (that I wanted to slid into the Osprey backpack) back to the supplier because it simply was huge and I wasted too much space in my "outer" Osprey backpack.

I purchased LowePro DroneGuard Kit instead and I now slid this one into my Osprey Aether 70 backpack.

Please tell me what kind of photos would you like to have.

I first noticed Osprey Aether backpack in 2014 when reading an interesting post at SLRLounge about some guys who went to Mt Whitney for several days and they brought all of their photo equipment with. You can see the post here:
Adventure Report #1 - Mt Whitney's 97 Switchbacks, Under The Milky Way!
Oben Tripod Review - CT-3451 Carbon Fiber Tripod with BE-113T

The D1 is perfect for me and I highly recommend it.

I have attached some pics if you want any specific shots just let me know and I will gladly supply.

Good luck in your choice - My own advice is to try the D1 if tempted.

Hope it helps!

Murray

Thanks for the photos and detailed post. This pack looks just about perfect.

I do have some questions on its capacity to carry non-drone related stuff such as food and water, first aid, raincoat etc.

I'm looking for a pack that I can take on full day hikes into location.

Thanks for your time.

I use the DJI case. It seems to do the job. Do you know if it's recommend to remove the gimbal lock while in the case? I notice the foam has an imprint on it, probably due to the gimbal lock.

I use the DJI case. It seems to do the job. Do you know if it's recommend to remove the gimbal lock while in the case? I notice the foam has an imprint on it, probably due to the gimbal lock.
I noticed the same with mine but I leave the lock on anyway. I don't want the gimbal flapping around when I'm walking.

I noticed the same with mine but I leave the lock on anyway. I don't want the gimbal flapping around when I'm walking.

Good point. It's a lot cheaper and easier to replace the foam instead of a broken gimbal.

Reactions: RayH

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj