Don't buy cheap cases for your drone

Reaction score
Before few days I bought from ebay a cheap backpack case for my Phantom, just to move it from my home to my car. I knew that this case was not the best, but for some months could be a low cost solution until i could order the DJI's hard case or other similar.

I used it only 4 times as backpack and one strap dismantled (i don't if this the correct verb) and the second strap is ready to do the same in next use.

Of course i was lucky enough and the ebay seller refund me.

So, take care and don't buy the cheap backpack case you can find on web, but a better case for your aircraft !

regards

Eddie

Reactions: SilverStone641
I bought a cheap dji style case and as yet had no problem, but I appreciate what you say

I don't know about the DJI style hard case.... mine was a soft case.

Eddie

I have the hard case. Good quality. The only thing I don't like is you can't fit the props in it once you take them off the bird. So I took a knife to it and cut out one of the side foam pockets. So all fits now. The only thing I have to carry is the iPad. There are bigger cases out there. Mine came with a bundle from slr hut which effectively made it free. Good but would be annoyed if I paid full price and had to cut it to fit the props. Where do they think you put them?

@oal331,
Sorry to hear about your inexpensive back pack's shoulder straps already coming unstitched at the upper most seams. But the adage goes, "You get what you pay for." And in the case of cheap made back packs, perhaps truer words were never spoken, particularly in this instance. If I had my drothers I would use nothing but my badlandspacks.com hunting bags, like my Monster Fanny Pack. ;-)
For Phantom 3 specific use, I purchased the @dji branded hard shell backpack. It fits the bill to a tee, and everything is very secure in its specific compartments. Only wish it had more battery storage spaces.
A well made protective shell for your safe Phantom 3 traveling pleasure.
@Simonb3526,
I didn't have any trouble finding plenty of room to put my detached rotor blades, one set goes above the charger slot. And I have extra sets in the cloth sleeve, tucked into the slot on the opposite side.
My iPad Air 2 is securely placed in behind the foam of the back/lid. It's thin enough that every thing closes tight and when it gets zipped up, it fits great, without any undo stress or pressure on the bird or radio controller either. No need for cutting and remodeling its interior. YMMV

RedHotPoker

A related question if any of you know

I plan on using the DJI go app with the follow me mode as I mountain bike down a hill very close to my home.

Question is. If I start the app. Set the altitude and distance. Then quickly pack the RC in the hard shell backpack keeping my iPhone 6 out secured to myself will I have any signal issues?? Can it communicate through the case?

People drive around using Follow Me, with the radio controller and device in their Steele Cage vehicles ... You should be fine.

RedHotPoker

A related question if any of you know

I plan on using the DJI go app with the follow me mode as I mountain bike down a hill very close to my home.

Question is. If I start the app. Set the altitude and distance. Then quickly pack the RC in the hard shell backpack keeping my iPhone 6 out secured to myself will I have any signal issues?? Can it communicate through the case?
How will your phone be plugged into the transmitter if it's in the backpack? I've seen guys strap the RC on their handle bars which seems to work. As far as communicating through the backpack, that wouldn't block the signal, but your antenaes would be folded down and you wouldn't know if the signal became weak or you lost GPS lock.

Reactions: dirkclod
Looks like same $40 eBay case I got months ago and heave used it dozens of times. I wear it frequently on my motorcycle no problems with the straps. Build quality probably varies but for an old P1 I can't see paying much more than $40 for a case.

I have the go pro hard case which I have been really happy with. For hiking I picked up and old school framed pack and I just strap the hard case onto it. Works great. Hiked 4km the other day.

@oal331,
Sorry to hear about your inexpensive back pack's shoulder straps already coming unstitched at the upper most seams. But the adage goes, "You get what you pay for." And in the case of cheap made back packs, perhaps truer words were never spoken, particularly in this instance. If I had my drothers I would use nothing but my badlandspacks.com hunting bags, like my Monster Fanny Pack. ;-)
For Phantom 3 specific use, I purchased the @dji branded hard shell backpack. It fits the bill to a tee, and everything is very secure in its specific compartments. Only wish it had more battery storage spaces.
A well made protective shell for your safe Phantom 3 traveling pleasure.
@Simonb3526,
I didn't have any trouble finding plenty of room to put my detached rotor blades, one set goes above the charger slot. And I have extra sets in the cloth sleeve, tucked into the slot on the opposite side.
My iPad Air 2 is securely placed in behind the foam of the back/lid. It's thin enough that every thing closes tight and when it gets zipped up, it fits great, without any undo stress or pressure on the bird or radio controller either. No need for cutting and remodeling its interior. YMMV

RedHotPoker
Do you store the chargers in the case as well? Mine don't fit with them in. Like to keep it all together. Didn't think about putting the iPad behind the front.

Hard backpack does not have enough carry capacity.
I opted for the soft pack purely on the basis of capacity. Straps started ripping as shown in your pics. I used Gaffa Tape to repair. Works fine.
repair.jpg

Reactions: oal331
I purchased the DJI Hardshell backpack but it was not what I was looking for.

I wanted a backpack that I would put into an Osprey Aether 70 backpack so that I could bring my P3P to the mountains including water, food and additional clothing. For my opinion Osprey packs are the best you can have for hiking.

Now I purchased another one from Amazon China - Anbee Backpack for DJI Phantom 3. It looks narrower than the original DJI Hardshell backpack so I really hope it will fit. I also plan to cut off the straps to make it even more fit to my Osprey backpack.

But until I get it from China I just made a shell from a paper box. I first put the P3P into this paper box shell, then I put the shell into my Osprey Atmos 50 AG backpack. I was still able to add 2 liters of water, food for the whole day, two fleece jackets, a lower layer shirt and 3 additional DJI batteries. I was in the mountains today. So far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
I purchased the DJI Hardshell backpack but it was not what I was looking for.

I wanted a backpack that I would put into an Osprey Aether 70 backpack so that I could bring my P3P to the mountains including water, food and additional clothing. For my opinion Osprey packs are the best you can have for hiking.

Now I purchased another one from Amazon China - Anbee Backpack for DJI Phantom 3. It looks narrower than the original DJI Hardshell backpack so I really hope it will fit. I also plan to cut off the straps to make it even more fit to my Osprey backpack.

But until I get it from China I just made a shell from a paper box. I first put the P3P into this paper box shell, then I put the shell into my Osprey Atmos 50 AG backpack. I was still able to add 2 liters of water, food for the whole day, two fleece jackets, a lower layer shirt and 3 additional DJI batteries. I was in the mountains today. So far so good.
If you are looking just for a secure "holder" to slip inside another backpack, check out the Drone Guard from Lowepro. I own 6 large quads and have either hard cases or custom back packs for all of them, but this has become my go-to carrier for all the drones if they are just going to be hauled in the car. For the couple of drones I don't have a custom backpack for, I just take the precut foam out and slip the drone guard in the pack. Everything is strapped down and it holds everything secure. With a larger pack you'd have plenty of room for personal items.

DroneGuard Kit Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Reactions: Ti22 and apprentice
I've mentioned this issue in several posts. I have two of these packs and the same issue with both. What I've done is sewn in the upper part of the straps on each of the packs. No other issues and both work perfectly.

Reactions: oal331
I'm having a very hard time finding a backpack/case for my P2/Zenmuse. I don't care if it's a backpack or case, but would like something that would fit my controller with Black Pearl mounted. I have a mount for it that makes the BP sorta hard to remove. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money on one either. Right now I have everything floating around in a $6.00 WalMart storage bin. Not elegant, but it works for now...

I have this case for my P2, as well as the hardshell case for my P3.

You're right that it is cheap. The second it arrived and I saw the zippers, it just fees cheap, although mine has stayed intact. But that is why it costs $35-40. It's perfectly fine for the money, and it serves its purpose. I never understood the people who buy $250 fancy cases to put in the back seat of their car, as if they're carrying some kind of treasure. This is good enough, and better that some expensive cases that don't have foam surrounding everything and instead use cheap partitions that can move and damage the gimbal.

Just browsed eBay quickly, they all look the same! Yikes... Was just hoping I could find something that didn't require me to take off the Black Pearl AND the antennas. But it looks like with these I can keep the BP on at least, and just remove the antennas.

Any thoughts??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav