Does wifi really matter!?!?!?

And here is he inside of the extender. What am I missing here? Everything looks fine installed under the hood. No links or anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 397
Like I said before I am not sure if it matters but your wires are crossed so maybe switch em and see if that don't help .

Attachments

• cableinstall-500x500.jpg
    cableinstall-500x500.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 359
well I received a timely response from Tony at FPVLR about what he thinks my issue is....although it's perplexing.....he says that since my wires are crossed that is the reason why I am not getting the distance that I was anticipating....he said I need to re-route them to look like the picture that you posted dirklod and that if the case had put any pressure on the back of the wires that I would need to buy new ones.....so I did....cost me about 16.00 shipped....I am a little confused tho because the link that he points to on his website for installation.....the wires in their extender look identical to mine so i'm not sure where the disconnect is there.....I haven't gotten a response about that since I emailed and asked him so we shall see.....

edit: to add picture that his installation refers to....

Attachments

• stage1-3.JPG
    stage1-3.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 957
That is strange as yours is wired like that picture but not in the other picture I got from page 3 he sent :?
Switch em and see . I order 2 of the 4" last nite and that shipping is a killer huh.. :lol: Twice as much as the cables . I will be taking mine apart when they get here and see how mine is wired . Pretty sure it's like in that video .

Edit / Just looked and mine are like yours :shock: Your TX does beep twice when you cut it on right ?

dirkclod said:
That is strange as yours is wired like that picture but not in the other picture I got from page 3 he sent :?
Switch em and see . I order 2 of the 4" last nite and that shipping is a killer huh.. :lol: Twice as much as the cables . I will be taking mine apart when they get here and see how mine is wired . Pretty sure it's like in that video .

what kind of distance are you seeing with your stage 2 upgrade?

I've had the stage 3 for a little while now and will have to find a screenshot from earlier but I believe the best I did get with just that was a little over 7000' . I added to that post you just quoted while you were posting . I did have that in a post but they were deleted .

dirkclod said:

Edit / Just looked and mine are like yours :shock: Your TX does beep twice when you cut it on right ?

yes my TX beeps twice....your wires in the extender are set up just like mine?!

1st_time_flyer said:
dirkclod said:

yes my TX beeps twice....your wires in the extender are set up just like mine?!
I did mine like in the video I posted .

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 381
now I am 100% confused....that doesn't look like what FPVLR posted....and from what you're saying you are getting far better range than I am......maybe something wrong with the antennas he sent me?

If you are just hooked in to one of the antenna ports in the re700 try the other one. You want to be hooked up to which ever one it is that sends and revives to the phantom and not the one that only sends and receives to your phone or tablet.

Even when I just did a regular antenna mod on my Re-700 i dint get much improvement at all out of my fpv range. So I went inside and switched the plug to the other antenna connection and instantly went from about 900 feet to over 3000 feet on the next test flight.

This is what I was talking about in the PM . When ya do switch em just make sure the pin that goes in here is not bent over , And like JJ said sometimes that's all it takes ;) and make sure ya hear it click when ya put it on .

Attachments

• PIN.jpg
    PIN.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 349
J.James said:
If you are just hooked in to one of the antenna ports in the re700 try the other one. You want to be hooked up to which ever one it is that sends and revives to the phantom and not the one that only sends and receives to your phone or tablet.

Even when I just did a regular antenna mod on my Re-700 i dint get much improvement at all out of my fpv range. So I went inside and switched the plug to the other antenna connection and instantly went from about 900 feet to over 3000 feet on the next test flight.

hmm Intriguing!.....I was going to do as you said but when I emailed tony he said that it didn't matter which one plugged into which they both have the same purpose....that would be great if that's all it was.....I will try that when I get home from work and report back....I will also be checking the connections with a magnify glass as well just in case.

edit: looking at the picture in which FPVLR posted it looks like his are plugged into the opposite of mine....so maybe.....just maybe this will fix it....will let you guys know this afternoon.

It may not matter on the re500s and I do see a lot of people say it dont matter which one you use. But at least the the case of my re500 it made a huge difference. Which is also how it is on most ordinary wifi repeaters range extenders also. Some they can switch antennas for what ever one is getting the strongest signal But usually thats not the case cause that takes extra circuitry and its easier for who ever makes any of them to just have it so one antenna sends and receives from point a to point b and then to or from point c from point b

But also like others pointed out even if on the right spot still make sure the pin is in and that the connector is down all the way. Cause not only will it not work good if your antenna is not plugged in or having a good connection. Also a lot of different types of transmitters can burn out if they are run with no antenna connected. Which would suck way more then just not having the right connection. Some times you can have it one all right and straight then even just closing the extender can push on the wire and cause the connector to lift off and move. Which is why its also a good idea if you know you have it were you want it and down all the way to put a tiny dab of some thing on it to glue it down. like how dji uses the drop of silicone. Which also not only keeps it in place but I also think it may help some with keeping the contacts from ever corroding and not makeing good contact. Which even that can also make a big difference in antenna connections. a lot of serious radio people even go as far as to use deox-it on all there antenna connections just to help ensure the best conductivity and contact. Even a lot of manufactures and the areo space industry use it on every connection.

J.James said:
It may not matter on the re500s and I do see a lot of people say it dont matter which one you use. But at least the the case of my re500 it made a huge difference. Which is also how it is on most ordinary wifi repeaters range extenders also. Some they can switch antennas for what ever one is getting the strongest signal But usually thats not the case cause that takes extra circuitry and its easier for who ever makes any of them to just have it so one antenna sends and receives from point a to point b and then to or from point c from point b

But also like others pointed out even if on the right spot still make sure the pin is in and that the connector is down all the way. Cause not only will it not work good if your antenna is not plugged in or having a good connection. Also a lot of different types of transmitters can burn out if they are run with no antenna connected. Which would suck way more then just not having the right connection. Some times you can have it one all right and straight then even just closing the extender can push on the wire and cause the connector to lift off and move. Which is why its also a good idea if you know you have it were you want it and down all the way to put a tiny dab of some thing on it to glue it down. like how dji uses the drop of silicone. Which also not only keeps it in place but I also think it may help some with keeping the contacts from ever corroding and not makeing good contact. Which even that can also make a big difference in antenna connections. a lot of serious radio people even go as far as to use deox-it on all there antenna connections just to help ensure the best conductivity and contact. Even a lot of manufactures and the areo space industry use it on every connection.

this stage 2 kit is installed on an re700

Ok after some work done on the extended again. I was able to get the cables uncrossed and i also switched which terminal they were connected too. Surprisingly my distance was much better. At 400' up I was able to travel 1650 feet before I decided to bring it back instead of flying over traffic. So it's significantly better than what I was getting before with the extended being setup differently. Needless to say I ordered two new wires. I am not sure what I did to achieve more distance but whatever it was worked. I will push it further tomorrow after work. Here is what the new extender looks like now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 365
sorry I just noticed I "mistyped and said in the case of my re500" Tho I meant 700 cause thats what I have, not a 500

FPVLR said:
guys, the u.fl connectors are very delicate, and ruining a cable is too easy, you just look at it the wrong way and it's done.

To insure a good install, remove all the junk under the board, including all copper tape and square patch antennas.

I like to start with a clean extender.

The most important thing is when you place the u.fl connectors over the male ones on the board, you need to really center it prior to pushing, and if it does not snap in place, pushing too hard can ruin the cable. 99% of all issues are fixed by replacing the u.fl cables.
Thanks for chiming in with those tips ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav