Does Tripod Mode chnage image colours?

• Thread starter Deleted member 99081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 99081

I was trying out tripod mode on my P4 Advanced, taking still images on Raw image files. I tried all of the colour profiles, and they all look the same (because they are in Raw, I presume). I forgot to set Raw+JPG. So, all those images have a flat, neutral colour appearance, which actually suits how I post process images.

However, the images shot in Tripod Mode have a different appearance. The colours are stronger and more saturated and vibrant, and have less highlights (which I like) and more contrast than the other Raw files. There is also a dust (or rain) spot on the Tripod mode images, which is not on the other shots, although they were taken a few minutes apart, but this could be a coincidence, and the lens cover got dirty in the meantime.

Does anyone know if Tripod mode has an enhancing effect on the colour / appearance of images, even when the files are set to Raw? If not, is there another explanation?

Two files are below, the top one is the Raw image and the one below it is in Raw + Tripod mode. No post processing has been done on either of them.

Thanks for any feedback.

Stephen
phantomraw.jpg

phantomtripod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the change of angle and distance had an affect on the shot,( aperture).

I didn't change the aperture and even if I had, the aperture ONLY effects depth of field - the amount of sharpness in the image - not colour tones or saturation. It doesn't even affect exposure in Aperture Priority mode (which it was in), as the camera sets a corresponding shutter speed. Trust me, I've been a pro photographer for 35 years.

It could have possibly have been a change in the light, but not a lot of time had passed for a significant difference. I've just done a 2nd set of images to compare and I'll come back with the results. I'm wondering if I've discovered something new about the app?

Stephen

It may well have been the light. I can't see any significant difference in this 2nd set of tests. The first one is the Raw only file, and the second is the tripod mode Raw version.

The "normal" colour setting does come up nicely in Lightroom with a small bit of post processing, though (see third image). I prefer working with the flat original as opposed to one with a colour setting, as it's harder to take out saturated colours than to put them into a flat image.

raw2.jpg

tripod2.jpg

edited.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl