Does this mean No More NFZ ,GeoFencing..

Quoted from the Article:

"Today, the company takes its privacy efforts a bit further with the release of a 'Local Data Mode' that allows pilots to fly their DJI drones without an internet connection.

Since when did you ever need an internet connection to fly anyway?????? Map Caching and updates sure, but never to actually fly. Sounds like a completely useless feature to me.

Reactions: embayweather
'Offline mode' has nothing to do with geo restrictions, they will still be fully in place. Rather it simply prevents any upload of data (logs, photos, etc.) to DJI during a flight where security might be an issue. This is to try to satisfy concerns from potential military and corporate users.

Quoted from the Article:

"Today, the company takes its privacy efforts a bit further with the release of a 'Local Data Mode' that allows pilots to fly their DJI drones without an internet connection.

Since when did you ever need an internet connection to fly anyway?????? Map Caching and updates sure, but never to actually fly. Sounds like a completely useless feature to me.

It prevents any connection from the app to the DJI servers, either during the flight or at any other time. It's primarily to establish unambiguously that no flight data are being transmitted to those servers. Definitely not a useless feature at all - quite the opposite in fact, since it is the only way that the equipment will be approved for use by many Government and military agencies.

It prevents any connection from the app to the DJI servers, either during the flight or at any other time.
That's a bit more clarifying than the original statement, however, if you are "offline" anyway, at all other times, except for app updates and such. Where does that benefit? Transmitting to the servers would only be accomplished while "online". That's why I said it was a useless feature for the everyday user. It basically serves no purpose other than to "satisfy" and ease uneasiness. If you were to delete your flight records prior to connecting, it would do the same thing wouldn't you think?

That's a bit more clarifying than the original statement, however, if you are "offline" anyway, at all other times, except for app updates and such. Where does that benefit? Transmitting to the servers would only be accomplished while "online". That's why I said it was a useless feature for the everyday user. It basically serves no purpose other than to "satisfy" and ease uneasiness. If you were to delete your flight records prior to connecting, it would do the same thing wouldn't you think?

The problem with the existing app is that it transmits encrypted data to the servers. If one were to fly offline and then delete the flight records before going back online, that might well achieve the same thing, but that's unverified since data are still transmitted. This is intended to make the lack of transmission unambiguous.

This is intended to make the lack of transmission unambiguous.
Completely agreed. Just trying to wrap that info up in my head. It was quite vague in the article, that's all. ;)

Completely agreed. Just trying to wrap that info up in my head. It was quite vague in the article, that's all. ;)

I was not expecting them to announce that for another couple of months at least, but presumably it was brought forwards by the recent issue with the DoD which possibly contributed to the rather vague language.

presumably it was brought forwards by the recent issue with the DoD which possibly contributed to the rather vague language.
Agreed, have dealt with the DoD on numerous occasions and they can be as vague as that was...

Would love it if the new "local data mode" would allow you to cache the satellite map and then go to a location with P4P+ controller powered off and still have the map when powering it back up in "offline mode" at a location where there is no wifi.

Reactions: SeanMHenry.SMH
Would love it if the new "local data mode" would allow you to cache the satellite map and then go to a location with P4P+ controller powered off and still have the map when powering it back up in "offline mode" at a location where there is no wifi.
You can already do that. As soon as you cache the maps, turn off the Wi-Fi.

You can already do that. As soon as you cache the maps, turn off the Wi-Fi.
It didn't work last time I tried it (before this firmware update) - when I got to my location there were no satellite maps cached. The only way it worked is if I left the P4P+ controller powered on the whole time. The drawbacks to that are that the battery will be lower and it generates heat. I wasn't sure about leaving it on in the case with no airflow, or how much the battery would go down if it took me a while to arrive at the site(s) I wanted to fly.

What I don't understand is, what proof is there that flight logs aren't sent to the server the next time you log on. There's no way to know what these things send to the home office once you're connected...

What I don't understand is, what proof is there that flight logs aren't sent to the server the next time you log on. There's no way to know what these things send to the home office once you're connected...

It sounds like you are thinking of this as a consumer-oriented feature. It really isn't. In the case of the target audience, (Government and some corporate) the software will be tested and certified before being accepted. If it is even made widely available and you choose to use it then you, as a regular consumer (I assume that's what you are) will have no proof unless an independent body that you trust runs equivalent tests.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl