Does Phantom 4 Pro+ screen overheat?

Reaction score
Currently have a P3S which I fly with an ipad air 2.

I've been flying in 80-90 degree temperatures, and one problem I had with the ipad air 2 was that it once overheated and the ipad just went black with a thermometer icon until I brought it inside, so now I'm always afraid the ipad air2 will overheat and shut down without warning.

I'm extremely tempted by the Phantom 4 Pro and am thinking of getting the Pro + with the built in screen which I'd like for its brightness and portability. (but wondering if I should go with the Pro+ with bright integrated screen, or just the Pro so I'm flexible to use other screens if needed/desired.)

Curious how the Pro+ built in screen will handle flying in bright sunny 80-90 degree days. Does it run hotter because it's brighter, or does it have better cooling than the ipad air 2 because it's purpose built? Has anyone had it overheat from the sun/heat?

Last edited:
I have been using a P4P + controller with the embedded display for about 3 months. It does get hot to the touch when outside in the direct sunlight and brightness is cranked all the way up. I have not had any thermal shutdowns. However, I don't recommend getting the embedded display because the GO app and android OS is so buggy it crashes for other reasons. DJI refuses to acknowledge the bugs and has let embedded display software fall 3 versions behind apple version. It is also very limited in that you can't run any apps on it. Even DJI's own mapping app isn't supported. It may be that, since P4A + uses same embedded display and Android OS that they will put some resources into supporting it, but for right now, I suggest getting a sunscreen or hood for your ipad.

Reactions: Jobo95
Thanks for the reply wataero.

I made a cardboard hood for my ipad air 2 and so far (fingers crossed) it hasn't overheated again. I might upgraded to a "real" white or more reflective hood to further reduce temp.

I suspect the best option, except for money being a factor, would be a crystalsky display with a P4P. Then, I presume, if a display did lock up you could bring along an additional iphone and hook that up in a minute or two and regain video and continue (or have video to bring it home as safely as possible at least.)

I wonder how the thermal (and other) reliability compares between the crystalsky and the slimmer P4P+ integrated display?

Really could use additional brightness. Today in the very bright sun I accidentally got an exposure point set on the screen which I honestly couldn't see until I turned and then realized I had wasted 2 minutes with the exposure point causing everything to be under exposed slightly. I love my big screen, but brighter would be so much easier as sometimes I can barely see my ipad air 2 in the brightest sun conditions.

I made a cardboard hood for my ipad air 2 and so far (fingers crossed) it hasn't overheated again. I might upgraded to a "real" white or more reflective hood to further reduce temp.

I suspect the best option, except for money being a factor, would be a crystalsky display with a P4P. Then, I presume, if a display did lock up you could bring along an additional iphone and hook that up in a minute or two and regain video and continue (or have video to bring it home as safely as possible at least.)

I wonder how the thermal (and other) reliability compares between the crystalsky and the slimmer P4P+ integrated display?

Really could use additional brightness. Today in the very bright sun I accidentally got an exposure point set on the screen which I honestly couldn't see until I turned and then realized I had wasted 2 minutes with the exposure point causing everything to be under exposed slightly. I love my big screen, but brighter would be so much easier as sometimes I can barely see my ipad air 2 in the brightest sun conditions.
Are you using a full Hoodman when your out in full day sun? It's awesome! Oops just read that you made a cardboard one. Trust me save up and get the full Hoodman for your Air 2. It's like a theatre man. I have had my Air 2 get got once on me too btw. Just have to fly one battery and then wait for a bit after ipad cools a bit. But I would not opt for the built in screen at all imo. Too small. No other apps at all! Just my opinion though.

I've got the Plus, and I love it. No overheating, no connection issues, no cables to fuss with. I can be up and flying in less than a minute. And it's plenty bright for use in the sun.
If you read closely, most of the posts you see complaining about the Plus are from people that don't own one. Most of us that do own one are satisfied. I certainly am.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I've got the Plus, and I love it. No overheating, no connection issues, no cables to fuss with. I can be up and flying in less than a minute. And it's plenty bright for use in the sun.
If you read closely, most of the posts you see complaining about the Plus are from people that don't own one. Most of us that do own one are satisfied. I certainly am.
I flew a plus for one day! Too small for me man. Plus I love Litchi!

I flew a plus for one day! Too small for me man. Plus I love Litchi!
I'd like to be able to load DJI Ultimate Flight, I prefer it over Litchi. I bought both for my P3P. But I can wait. Right now I'm looking forward to Goggles...:)

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I second what wataero said. Screen doesn't get hot, is bright enough, you can get a sun hood for $20 off amazon if u wish. But don't waste your $, the + controller software is so problematic it is nearly unusable for most professional jobs. Really disappointed they have not fixed the "app not responding problem" yet. Half the time the screen hangs and I can't tell if I am still rolling or not because the record button stops functioning.

Thanks very much for the feedback -- decisions, decisions :)

I don't yet use Litchi or any other app except DJI go, and after my ipad air 2 overheated once, I make sure to run only the DJI go app for fear that anything else running might lead to further heat problems, so for now I could live with the limited app support of the built in screen. Don't like the reports of it hanging at all though :(

I just saw the crystalsky DJI displays advertised, but they seem to all be on pre-order.

The 5.5" crystalsky with a brightness of 1000 is on pre-order for $469.
The larger crystalsky with a brightness of 1000 is on pre-order for $699 or with a brightness of 2000 is on pre-order for $999 but that is too much for my budget right now.

I wonder how the 5.5" crystalsky software/hardware would differ from the built-in P4P+ display?

I've been flying in 80-90 degree temperatures, and one problem I had with the ipad air 2 was that it once overheated and the ipad just went black with a thermometer icon until I brought it inside, so now I'm always afraid the ipad air2 will overheat and shut down without warning.

Hey Island, are you using a case around that iPad Air 2? If you are protecting your Air 2 with a plastic case around it, remove it so it can cool better on hot days. I haven't had my Air2 overhead yet. However my iPad Mini2 will overheat in temps over 90F, with no case protection.

As for hoods, I like my Hi Aerial hood. It's a little more money, but it works well. There two levels you can buy, the Base (that's all you need IMO), and the Boost extension. I only use the lower Base portion, even though I have both. What I like about it is the rigidity and light weight, not to mention easy access to the screen through a louvered side window. It also folds flat to easily store in my backpack. Although Hoodman works good, I sent mine back and use Hi Aerial on bright days when there are no shade trees available.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20