Does humidity affect range?

A GA pilots perspective.

The four H's that contribute to lower performance of any aircraft:
Hot
Humid
High Altitude
Heavy (this is your payload, so it will not affect a P3 unless you mod it)

These all make your aircraft work harder for the same performance. Hot is part of what is called Density Altitude, as air gets hotter it is less dense so a prop has to work harder to create lift, it is as if you are at a higher altitude, your MR is less efficient. Humidity also effects performance of a propeller (and an internal combustion engine, this of course does not apply to a Phantom).

Batteries also don't perform as well when it is hot (or very cold).

So all in all the H's will effect the performance thus the range of a Phantom just like any aircraft.

Some tests will tell you how much, you could come up with a chart to show performance relative to density altitude and humidity.

Fun project, I just don't have the time...

Your experience with this subject, is probably more hands on, than many here. Blocking the vents may indeed help in preventing unwanted moisture, from entering the shell at those points, but does that vent blockage cause the drone to run hotter, internally? Do you check your battery temps regularly in the app?

RedHotPoker
I've not checked the temps. Thought about it but decided that it was too involved. My line of reasoning is such - people fly the things in 100F weather. I typically have 50 - 60 degrees of headroom so I figure I'm OK. My battery temps seem pretty typical. I have the lower vents open. Works so far .....

From my test, it's all free, from every link I tapped. Where is he asking for any recumbence?
Anyway, it's not a drone-specific website. Certainly there are far better.

I have often questioned the effectiveness of the way our Phantom vents are presently situated, even on the newer Phantom 4. Seems like they could have wind tunnel tested and figured out something far more efficient. Perhaps in the future. ;-)

RedHotPoker
I'm pretty sure the vents were designed by the marketing department. Zoom! Zoom!

Humidity and temperature affect all aircraft dynamics. Especially helos and quads with lift

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr