Does anyone here drive an EV or Plug-in Hybrid car?

Reaction score
Does anyone here drive an EV or Plug-in Hybrid car? we're thinking of buying one and I would like some feedback.

I have a bumper sticker that says:

My coal powers your electric car.

Does that count?

My diesel truck has a sticker by the exhaust that reads Prius Repellent dispenser..... That count ?

I guess I wasn't being very subtle either, huh?

I'm a partner in a company that makes equipment for EV's.
I have long-term experience with Leafs and Teslas, go ahead and ask and maybe I can help.

images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
o_O Ya ask that in OT / What was ya thinking Steve !
Here's a trainer...
$_35.jpg
:D

I suppose the question is - Why should I buy an electric/hybrid car?

Less CO2 emissions - yes. Although a better way of doing this is to drive less miles in a normal car.
Lower running costs - not really. If you factor in the battery replacement or battery lease costs there isn't much in it.
Impressing people with your Green credentials - yes. Like the A listers who have a garage full of Ferraris but tell everyone they drive a Prius.
Impressing yourself by being an early adopter - yes. Electric cars are the future.

Interestingly in 1899 and 1900 electric cars were the top selling vehicles in the US and in 1916 a Chicago manufacturer produced a hybrid, so not really new technology after all. My little Citroen from the 1920's does 60 mpg, so fuel efficient cars aren't new either.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I have a large carbon footprint when it comes to auto's

But did you know that:
Cow farts are a source of greenhouse gases, while kangaroo farts are methane free thanks to a particular bacteria in their stomachs.

Kangaroo-australia-32220270-500-375_zpsz9qhlfuh.jpg

Reactions: IflyinWY
I have a large carbon footprint when it comes to auto's

But did you know that:
Cow farts are a source of greenhouse gases, while kangaroo farts are methane free thanks to a particular bacteria in their stomachs.

images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
:eek: FRED !!!! Where ya been !!!!!!

Reactions: mad in nc
We're considering buying one because my wife's employer has an incentive program that puts some money into her paycheck as long as she owns the car, and they have free recharging stations. One of her co-workers has a Chevy Volt and she fills the gas tank once a year and recharges at work. That plus the fed and state tax credits really brings the cost of ownership down. The cost of a new battery is $2500, but in my state the battery warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles. We typically keep card that long but our 12 year old Mazda it would replace only has 140,000 miles on it.

The reason I am looking for an EV owner is to ask, would you do it again?

We're considering buying one because my wife's employer has an incentive program that puts some money into her paycheck as long as she owns the car, and they have free recharging stations. One of her co-workers has a Chevy Volt and she fills the gas tank once a year and recharges at work. That plus the fed and state tax credits really brings the cost of ownership down. The cost of a new battery is $2500, but in my state the battery warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles. We typically keep card that long but our 12 year old Mazda it would replace only has 140,000 miles on it.

The reason I am looking for an EV owner is to ask, would you do it again?
images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
..Nice incentive !!! Fred over there runs
Me run out of juice :(
electric though and forgot to plug in and ya see what happened to him :eek:
Now he can't get back up Steve ;)

Does anyone here drive an EV or Plug-in Hybrid car? we're thinking of buying one and I would like some feedback.
Personally, I wouldn't own an electric car. In my opinion they are way less "green" than a conventional automobile when you take into account all the stuff that goes into the batteries and the fact that coal and natural gas provide the electricity to charge them. That, along with the putrid range, make them a no-go for me. I commute 50 miles each way to work so that's no good for me.
From a practical side, I just traded my 2011 Polaris Ranger EV in on a new gas model because, after only 65 hours and 4 years, I was looking at a $3500 battery replacement. After looking at the blogs, and forums, it seems that is about the norm. So every 60 hours or so, you get to replace the 8 big 12v batteries. That's not very "green" either. So, as far as I'm concerned, EV's are a joke.

One of her co-workers has a Chevy Volt and she fills the gas tank once a year and recharges at work.

Your wife's co-worker isn't real bright. The fuel doesn't like sitting around for that long. She's gonna be sorry one of these days when she needs the engine. :confused: Ya might want to pass that one on.

Your wife's co-worker isn't real bright. The fuel doesn't like sitting around for that long. She's gonna be sorry one of these days when she needs the engine. :confused: Ya might want to pass that one on.

Especially if the fuel has ethanol.... I hate corn in gas! nothing good...

Especially if the fuel has ethanol.... I hate corn in gas! nothing good...
That's the reason the EV companies recommend premium fuel.

Around here, all grades have ethanol. I know of one station that has ethanol free, and the marina where I fuel my boat has it.

Worst idea ever using food for fuel. The stuff causes all sorts of problems in boats. Sorry for the sidetrack, can't help with the decision although it's sounds like some decent incentives.

I'll stick with my 1 ton dually diesel. :cool:

My F350 Ford runs on Hydrocarbon fuel. I was filling up a while back when a college kid noticed my sticker,he gave me a big thumbs up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.