Does anyone here drive an EV or Plug-in Hybrid car?

batmobile1.jpg

Mine runs off bat crap .I was stopped at a station one time and some collage kids passed me but they just gave me the finger !

That's the reason the EV companies recommend premium fuel.

I only burn 93+. In the Twin Turbo I had I ran 106. Nothing to do w fuel grade. Ethanol is just bad. Mixing a process'd carbon based product with a processed "food" is just wrong. I've at any times have 3-4 "classics" and even new super cars and very particular about ethanol. To the point I store my chainsaw, power washer, leaf blower empty as ethanol will destroy literally the gas lines in small engine devices.

We can still get ethanol free gas in a few stations here but it's about a dime more a gallon and I still run a can of Seafoam with a tank about every 3 fill ups !! I use all STIHL saws and such and if's got ethanol in it then it just don't run to swift :eek:
And like you said mad ya shore don't store it with any in for long !!

Reactions: Tallyrver
I only burn 93+. In the Twin Turbo I had I ran 106. Nothing to do w fuel grade. Ethanol is just bad. Mixing a process'd carbon based product with a processed "food" is just wrong. I've at any times have 3-4 "classics" and even new super cars and very particular about ethanol. To the point I store my chainsaw, power washer, leaf blower empty as ethanol will destroy literally the gas lines in small engine devices.

....and it absorbs water. Perfect.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, I drive an Leaf EV. Yes, I'm from California. But before you midwest folks spit your chewing tobacco and blow diesel fumes my way, hear me out. I'm a sports car guy. Heck, I've never owned a car with more than two doors. But with gas prices hovering around $4.50/gal in 2013, $10,000 in rebates, single-driver access to carpool lanes, and a 65-mile round trip commute on the 405, leasing an EV was a no-brainer.

Yes, it is a dork-mobile made of chick repellant and doesn't have room for your gun rack, but it saves me about 15-20 minutes to and from work each day. Energy costs are about a third as much per mile as my previous car. Maintenance costs are extremely low. There are simply fewer parts to replace (no muffler, alternator, fan belts, radiator, fuel pump, oil filters, transmission, etc). True, the battery will need to be replaced eventually and this will be a significant cost, but it will not occur during my lease period of 45,000 miles. The quiet, instant, and continuous acceleration when you nail the accelerator on an EV makes driving a conventional automatic feel stone age. The biggest downside I've found with 36,000 miles on the Leaf is that my range has decreased range from about 95 miles to about ~75 miles per charge.

In this region EVs and PHEVs are everywhere-- Teslas, Fiat 500e, Leafs, Volts, Focus, and the dreaded Prius-- so you won't be alone. Too bad my EV of choice, the Tesla Roadster 2.5 S with 300 mile range and 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds, is beyond my budget or I'd be driving it.;)

Your wife's co-worker isn't real bright. The fuel doesn't like sitting around for that long. She's gonna be sorry one of these days when she needs the engine. :confused: Ya might want to pass that one on.

Actually, the Volt cycles the combustion engine periodically so this doesn't happen. Until battery tech improves, the Volt gives you the best of both worlds-- long range and EV efficiency. It's a good compromise.

Anyway, SteveMann, ask away.

Reactions: cjmwales
Actually, the Volt cycles the combustion engine periodically so this doesn't happen. Until battery tech improves, the Volt gives you the best of both worlds-- long range and EV efficiency. It's a good compromise.

The same gasoline in a tank for a year? Are you reading everything? So what if the engine starts sometimes. Sheesh...:confused:

Last edited:
Steve,
I drive a plug-in hybrid prius. I rarely drive over 15 miles a day, so it is ideal for me. The hybrid engine alone only gets about 50 miles to the gallon. Right now, I am getting 185 miles per gallon. I think I last got gas in February and have about 1200 miles on this tank of gas. A full tank is just less than nine gallons. An electric mile comes out to about 1/5 the cost of a gasoline mile when considering fuel alone. Maintenance is a little less, but the initial cost of the car is a bit more. There was a tax advantage my first year.

Reactions: offthefront
We have owned a Chevy Volt for about a year now.
Used it for short and long distance driving. Great car, will buy another one.

Is this close enough? ( and yeah, it's got a HEMI ) :cool::D:cool:

17256-fc32ff5d411c8bebc892dfd1d4ec6225.jpg
:D Nothing like straight blacktop and high octane dino juice eh !! Nice wheels bro:D

Does anyone here drive an EV or Plug-in Hybrid car? we're thinking of buying one and I would like some feedback.

Yep. I drive a Nissan Leaf on a lease purchase agreement. I've covered almost 40,000 miles in it since October 2013.

My daily commute is 80 miles / day (round trip) and my clients have kindly installed a type 2 charge station in the car park so I can top up the battery as I work. I drive it like a normal car, because that's just what it is!

I've never run out of charge, and thanks to the ecotricity rapid charging network here in the UK, I've done many journeys well beyond normal range without hassle.

It's an amazing car that is saving me an absolute fortune (300 quid / month!!). It's quiet, vibration free, and I wake up every morning and get into a pre-heated cabin and set off with a full 'tank' after charging overnight.

I will never go back to a combustion engine powered car as a daily driver.

Considered very strongly of purchasing a Volt. And it's still on the radar. Although there are even nicer ones coming out now, I think they are mostly way over priced. Hydrogen...?
So, anyway, instead bought an awesome Canadian built '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S. Se5=Semi automatic 5 speed with reverse. Neutron Green Metallic on flat black. I even looked at the Electric Harley Davidson, and their trikes, but I lost interest, as they ran $40K.
Oh, if you have never seen a Can Am Spyder, they are a reverse trike with two wheels up front. It's surprising to me every day, the looks, oohs, ahs, whistles, nice bike, hoots and hollers, people pointing, taking pictures. Yeah, at nearly every red light, a conversation ensues. How do you like 'rYding' the SpYder? Is it as much fun as it looks? One beautiful gal, girl, young lady, asked how much fun is that to ride, and I only could think of but one reply,
"It's the second best I ever had, for sure." And I winked at her and we both laughed.
Met up with a guy a couple weeks ago at a long light. Get this, he's driving a lemon yellow 2014 Lamborghini and telling me how much he likes my green SpYder and then says he just bought a grey, 2012 RS SpYder in Winnipeg Manitoba last week. The SpYder takes me places and opens doors most other mid priced vehicles could never do. I get over 300 kilometers on a full tank of 94 octane premium fuel. If I don't gunboot it around too much... ;-)
Have already taken dozens of cool pictures with my SpYder sitting next to all sorts of luxury sport cars, an old souped up '32, mint metallic green '29, these are people I meet.

I couldn't be happier, and I took it out in December and January when we had warm spells and the roads were dry.
I could create an album, just to post a few winners.
Looks like this...
"It's a gas."

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
The Spyder looks cool as an alternative to a motorcycle, but I am replacing my wife's commute car. We do have winters here in New England. I agree that the Volt (and other electrics) is overpriced because the manufacturers are not spreading the design, engineering and production costs across their entire fleet as they do with other models. The Volt fleet is a completely separate unit from the rest of the Chevrolet fleet.

I haven't been able to see a Leaf in New England as they are only sold by special order. I just got back from Spain, and they are very common there, but there was no time to inquire about them.

We have owned a Chevy Volt for about a year now.
Used it for short and long distance driving. Great car, will buy another one.
Where are you located? Any snow or sub-zero days?

The Spyder looks cool as an alternative to a motorcycle, but I am replacing my wife's commute car. We do have winters here in New England. I agree that the Volt (and other electrics) is overpriced because the manufacturers are not spreading the design, engineering and production costs across their entire fleet as they do with other models. The Volt fleet is a completely separate unit from the rest of the Chevrolet fleet.

I haven't been able to see a Leaf in New England as they are only sold by special order. I just got back from Spain, and they are very common there, but there was no time to inquire about them.

Where are you located? Any snow or sub-zero days?
blank stare.png
....Steve..Look at his signature ! Edmonton Alberta
Canada
savy.gif

He must have just added it?

I really didn't see a location in his sig which is why I asked.
Blame jet lag - I just returned from Spain yesterday.

I really didn't see a location in his sig which is why I asked.
Blame jet lag - I just returned from Spain yesterday.
boy.jpg

Has been there though, just had to get ya Steve ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20