Do You Think That the FAA Rules are Ridiculous?

its the same people like this that dont stop and yield on the on ramp to the highway knowing dang well they have a yield sign you got the green light... but ahh man them rules are for losers.. but hey you cant teach common sense. Its one thing when your out in the middle of Wyoming or flying at 600 agl on a mountain side but to be putting people, business or your drone at risk is whats asinine.. your elitist comment could be compared to arrogant people who think they are above everyone else and the rules because they are so smart and that kind of stuff wont ever happen to them..you ever been in a car wreck?? Bet you didn't plan that the day it happened. What a goof.. heck these days it doesn't take much for a disgruntled neighbor to report you for bad flying or flying at all the faa aint taking my hard earned drone. Hope they dont take yours. By the way dont worry about any of those laws out on the highways and roads or any of those pesky federal laws for that matter too. They dont mean nothing they are just meant to be broken.safe flying. Self entitlement..
I wish that guy had followed the rules and use his brakes at the red light. He totalled my car and my back and hips because he didn't follow the rules...

Yes, but for a several different reasons. First, if you're just a recreational flyer, i.e. you don't fly for money, you don't need the cert. The day you charge for your service, you do. There is nothing about charging for your service that affects safety. Second, remote controlled airplanes have been in use for years with no FAA certs required. Why just of drones? Third, you can by a $20,000 ultralight helicopter and fly it all you want with no certs. Why are drones singled out for such stringent certs?

Partly, I suspect, because if you are flying an ultralight you have a significant incentive to understand the airspace and fly safely. Fail to do so and you are dead. With drones there is no such incentive, and that's evidenced by the number of videos and accounts of blatantly unsafe flying, and the number of crashes reported on forums like this one.

I wish that guy had followed the rules and use his brakes at the red light. He totalled my car and my back and hips because he didn't follow the rules...
Sorry to hear that Weston. I also wish my sorta friend/coworker who decided to drive after a night of some fun i dont agree with didnt drive home the next morning at 10am. Crashing his grandfathers vehicle.. killing his two cousins and another friend.. now his family is paying the price while he is sitting in the local prison system for at least the next 25 to 50 years...its sad and avoidable. Thats the point..or maybe some freinds/family having a few drinks at a bbq pool party. And Mr. To heck with the regulations thinks its cool to pull out his new drone and do a couple laps but doesn't realize hes as buzzed as he is. Swoops in at 30 mph and crashes into his sisters kid swimming in the pool. Causing a youngin to have to go to the emergency room and receive stitches or worse surgery to remove an eye..

I understand the need for the rules, but it’s kind of like posting a 55 mph speed limit on a interstate highway. Nobody speeds right? Don’t say it’s different, there are more car accidents than aviation accidents. When the government raised the limits to 75 mph, more people complied... but unfortunately some still bend the rules.

You got to draw the line somewhere...

I understand the need for the rules, but it’s kind of like posting a 55 mph speed limit on a interstate highway. Nobody speeds right? Don’t say it’s different, there are more car accidents than aviation accidents. When the government raised the limits to 75 mph, more people complied... but unfortunately some still bend the rules.

You got to draw the line somewhere...
Very true. Never said i was perfect or i dont bend the rules occasionally. Or speed sometimes. I don't speed everytime i get in the car just to buck the system or cause I think the laws are asinine.. Or not buckle my seatbelt everytime because I think its for the squares.. i alsondont agree with every faa regulation eother but I feel like they are doing a fairly decent job keeping all there ducks in a row while changing the regulations and keeping eveyone informed they arent out a slapping every roque flier with fines and taking away their rights.. they are just asking you take precautions and use some sense and there are also reasons you can't drive a power wheel on the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weston Ney
The day you charge for your service, you do. There is nothing about charging for your service that affects safety.
Sure there is... if someone wants to hire you to do a shoot less than a mile south of runway 36

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Sure there is... if someone wants to hire you to do a shoot less than a mile south of runway 36
Or you have to pay the bill from and accident that the insurance company would normally take care of. But if there was no certification.. no insurance.. then you wouldn't be qualified to inspect your drone before flight or use any of those newly learned safety measures.. so therefore the blame would fall on you and your stuck paying 50,000 dollars for the bmw you crashed into or little billys hospital bill..

I think we need some clarifications here.....

First, if you're just a recreational flyer, i.e. you don't fly for money, you don't need the cert.
In the very near future you WILL need to take a test etc just for hobby operations.
Second, remote controlled airplanes have been in use for years with no FAA certs required. Why just of drones?
We operated RC planes and heli for DECADES without flying near people, downtown, near airports etc. Part of this is because the aircraft needed more room to fly so we flew away from people. But a big (and probably the most significant) reason for new regulations is because with previous RC aircraft you had to learn to fly.. you had to learn to build... you had to understand rules (if you're flying from an established flying field) and you had more SKIN in the game so you learned HOW TO FLY. Today all you have to know is how to scan your credit card, connect the battery charger, and hit the FLY button on your tablet. Night & Day different than how we used to fly.

Why are drones singled out for such stringent certs?
Ummmm sUAS includes RC planes and Helo... and all of those fall under the new rules & regulations. At no time do the regulations say "MultiRotors" or anything that might exclude planes and heli. Drones aren't being singled out in the least but this happens to be a MultiRotor forum where all of us fly at least one MR but don't kid yourself that other types of RC aircraft are ALSO INCLUDED IN THE REGULATIONS!!

Do you think that the required knowledge is over the top? I think the 303 test is way to hard, like why do you need to know how to read all these ridiculously complex flight codes to fly a drone. And in Canada it's just insane, like its easier to drive a car legally then fly a drone.
As a private pilot I found the test to be a cake walk. The information required is beneficial to all airmen, both drone pilots and airplane pilots alike.

Well put sir
I think we need some clarifications here.....

In the very near future you WILL need to take a test etc just for hobby operations.

We operated RC planes and heli for DECADES without flying near people, downtown, near airports etc. Part of this is because the aircraft needed more room to fly so we flew away from people. But a big (and probably the most significant) reason for new regulations is because with previous RC aircraft you had to learn to fly.. you had to learn to build... you had to understand rules (if you're flying from an established flying field) and you had more SKIN in the game so you learned HOW TO FLY. Today all you have to know is how to scan your credit card, connect the battery charger, and hit the FLY button on your tablet. Night & Day different than how we used to fly.

Ummmm sUAS includes RC planes and Helo... and all of those fall under the new rules & regulations. At no time do the regulations say "MultiRotors" or anything that might exclude planes and heli. Drones aren't being singled out in the least but this happens to be a MultiRotor forum where all of us fly at least one MR but don't kid yourself that other types of RC aircraft are ALSO INCLUDED IN THE REGULATIONS!!
. You think this heli couldn't do some damage? Its bigger.. ok as big. than my p3p

Attachments

• 20190904_142609.jpg
    20190904_142609.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 188
  • 20190904_142640.jpg
    20190904_142640.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 182
Show and tell... cool. Check out my P4P next to my raptor 60 and gas big stick...I would hazard a guess the both have been higher than 400’ back in the day. Don’t tell my wife I posted a pic of the messy hobby room...
835D27F2-8C64-4981-B0EC-51869E015225.jpeg
397E1E14-2541-4627-8A6F-C698529C420E.jpeg

Reactions: BigAl07
Don’t tell my wife I posted a pic of the messy hobby room...
THE hobby room? With all them flying Critters, looks like YOUR hobby room lol ?
Wimminz usually like crafts and sewing and such lol....

Show and tell... cool. Check out my P4P next to my raptor 60 and gas big stick...I would hazard a guess the both have been higher than 400’ back in the day. Don’t tell my wife I posted a pic of the messy hobby room...View attachment 114257View attachment 114258

I love Love LOVE Gassers!! What size is your Big Stik? Thats one of the funnest planes ever made... I can't tell you how many hours I've got on those.. I still have a 60size (Elec) that is a hoot to fly.

Reactions: Adamborz
I love Love LOVE Gassers!! What size is your Big Stik? Thats one of the funnest planes ever made... I can't tell you how many hours I've got on those.. I still have a 60size (Elec) that is a hoot to fly.

It’s kit built and now has zenoah g38 on it. I don’t know the history, bought it at an estate sale. I think it’s a 120 size bashed into a gasser. Very stable flyer

THE hobby room? With all them flying Critters, looks like YOUR hobby room lol ?
Wimminz usually like crafts and sewing and such lol....

Well, it might be my hobby room, but the wife would still be upset. As for sewing machines, I have to move all the RC stuff to get to it. Need that for the boat canvas and vinyl..,
4197B8EB-6486-4659-A217-E8C1C7681AA8.jpeg

As for sewing machines, I have to move all the RC stuff to get to it. Need that for the boat canvas and vinyl..,
All RIGHT ! Glad to know someone else here is into sewing the heavy stuff. I've just recently refurbished two 1950s gear-driven Singers... refurbed my grandma's Singer 27 last year. Trying my hand at leather outdoor gear... pouches, holsters and such

Reactions: Adamborz
Show and tell... cool. Check out my P4P next to my raptor 60 and gas big stick...I would hazard a guess the both have been higher than 400’ back in the day. Don’t tell my wife I posted a pic of the messy hobby room...View attachment 114257View attachment 114258
Man thats sweet that thing is huge! Mine was a freebie someone gave it to me. Its a beginner 400. But thats awesome! And hey at least.ypu get a hobby room haha

All RIGHT ! Glad to know someone else here is into sewing the heavy stuff. I've just recently refurbished two 1950s gear-driven Singers... refurbed my grandma's Singer 27 last year. Trying my hand at leather outdoor gear... pouches, holsters and such

It’s got an industrial walking foot to help move the fabric. Not the greatest pic, but I sewed the seat on my little 176 flyer. I sew canvas and whatever else needed. Made the wife table cloth and place mats too ?
58ACFD3F-3145-4DAD-A719-42AC5C5BCEF2.jpeg
A844B444-9A3E-4A17-9C11-8F0622440D53.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.