Do you really need a MAVIC? Lol

Reaction score
Ok ok we are sick of hearing about the next best drone. This is why I added this post. Every time a product launch happens everyone sells there old quads to buy the next best thing. I guess in a hope to get better captures and maybe become the next drone YouTube star lol. But the truth is you have to know how to film and get the captures first even with a old drone. Then you can get the best from your own creative moments. Don't get me wrong I want a Mavic. But just to put it in my pocket for light transport.. Hell now when you film you have to go through the ***** stuff of planning to capture that best one moment. This is a video of old out of date quads in my footage . I don't think a MAVIC would improve this. Not just right now. What's your thoughts
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I think the Mavic is cool, and depending on pricing and features of the Phantom 5, and whether or not the Mavic turns out to be workable in broad-based consumer hands, there may well be a Mavic in my future. I don't feel the inexorable, glazed-eyes pull to get one at this point, however. I am very experienced on generational consumer technology advances, led by my experience with " *drool* gotta-have-it" MacBook, iPhone, and iPad model advances over the last decade or more. I found my reaction to the Mavic to be the same as my reaction to the iPhone 7...."cool...(*yawn*)". I know that I'll have an iPhone 7. Eventually. It's inevitable. I don't know if it will be an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Just as I don't know if my next drone will be a Mavic or Phantom 5. But I find the technology advance that the Mavic feature set implies to be very cool.

Reactions: mike357 and Chris L
For last two days I wanted to fly my phantom to capture beautiful hills and ocean views of Hawaii island. Wind is pretty strong here and I don't want to take a risk.

I need a drone that can tear apart high winds and give me a good footage. Mavic can't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's not about if the Mavic is better in any way technically. It is good enough to equal that of the phantom 4 in terms of picture quality. I often battle with the need to take an extra back pack just to get the drone shot. Now with the Mavic I will always have it with me and never carrying an extra back pack. I travel frequently in remote locations making it tricky to get around with the phantom plus other camera gear, so the Mavic will be a huge improvement for me. I've missed drone shots before because of not being able to bring the phantom. So I will happily sell the phantom 4 and no longer stress about how to pack and carry an extra back pack.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think anyone 'needs' a Mavic, I'm getting one as my (very dear to me) P3P is too big to take walking, there's no room in the rucksack for food and water. My P3P will be a home alone drone for weekends, and the Mavic will be my travelling companion. I don't need either...

Nice use of light. Thanks for sharing. Every flight has something the rest of us can learn from.

My P3 got me hooked but as a company I cannot stand DJI, and I don't trust the new design yet, so rather torn...

(and it doesn't work with my phone)

Reactions: skiptv
I agree. I think the Mavic is cool, and depending on pricing and features of the Phantom 5, and whether or not the Mavic turns out to be workable in broad-based consumer hands, there may well be a Mavic in my future. I don't feel the inexorable, glazed-eyes pull to get one at this point, however. I am very experienced on generational consumer technology advances, led by my experience with " *drool* gotta-have-it" MacBook, iPhone, and iPad model advances over the last decade or more. I found my reaction to the Mavic to be the same as my reaction to the iPhone 7...."cool...(*yawn*)". I know that I'll have an iPhone 7. Eventually. It's inevitable. I don't know if it will be an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Just as I don't know if my next drone will be a Mavic or Phantom 5. But I find the technology advance that the Mavic feature set implies to be very cool.
Wise words in your comment, the I agree the last words of features are worthy. But who knows the apps around today are getting good. I think I may wait for the mavic2

Reactions: Efarrell and IGear
For the same reason as many already said, ease of transport. That's why I'm planning to get a Mavic. And that it has a terrain following mode.
To me, the Mavic's down side is that the controller won't accept anything larger than a plus size phone.

Love my P4 but taking it on hikes in its backpack is not as easy.

Probably get a P5 when it's available too. Why not ?

Why is it some people are trying to sour the experience of the Mavic? Is it jealousy, no budget for it, don't like the color? Be happy for anyone getting what they want. No one 'needs' a drone of any kind but many of us choose to own one. The Mavic is a new category for DJI and diversifying their offerings can only mean more business for them. I own many drones and the only reason I would sell one is if it was not getting any use... no need to let it sit and get old, someone may as well use it. Some may need to sell their older drone to afford the new Mavic. Maybe they have a P3 and are looking for more features, etc.
I will be getting a Mavic for traveling and for general use. I can easily carry it along with me where the Phantom was a pain to bring along. I travel with my family and lugging a huge hard case with just my Phantom and then another big bag with my DSLR gear in it along with my regular travel gear makes me look like a pack mule going through the airport. I am eagerly awaiting this smaller form to stick into my camera gear bag.

DJI makes a model for most consumers. Pick the one that works the best for your need, if you have the budget, then own several. We should not be judging each other by the drone that they prefer to use.

Why is it some people are trying to sour the experience of the Mavic? Is it jealousy, no budget for it, don't like the color? Be happy for anyone getting what they want. No one 'needs' a drone of any kind but many of us choose to own one. The Mavic is a new category for DJI and diversifying their offerings can only mean more business for them. I own many drones and the only reason I would sell one is if it was not getting any use... no need to let it sit and get old, someone may as well use it. Some may need to sell their older drone to afford the new Mavic. Maybe they have a P3 and are looking for more features, etc.
I will be getting a Mavic for traveling and for general use. I can easily carry it along with me where the Phantom was a pain to bring along. I travel with my family and lugging a huge hard case with just my Phantom and then another big bag with my DSLR gear in it along with my regular travel gear makes me look like a pack mule going through the airpot. I am eagerly awaiting this smaller form to stick into my camera gear bag.

DJI makes a model for most consumers. Pick the one that works the best for your need, if you have the budget, then own several. We should not be judging each other by the drone that they prefer to use.
Who in this thread is trying to "sour the Mavic experience"? Personally, I'm excited for you. Just not excited enough to get one myself. Maybe later. Probably later.

The mavic looks good but I will wait a while until the rush settles down ( i think :), my local dealer will have some by the end of month, so maybe will change my mind then.)

The P3 is also a very capable drone and I enjoy flying it.

From yesterday

Reactions: JWH and Phill2
This is a video of old out of date quads in my footage . I don't think a MAVIC would improve this. Not just right now. What's your thoughts
That when I see that beautiful footage in a postage stamp-sized 720p window on my 4K monitor it seems like an awful waste of opportunity...

I wouldn't make the effort of going to shoot anything for a result in lower than 4K size. I do have an I1 that can do it, but then the bulk is certainly reducing the number of shooting occasions where I have it with me, and the Mavic will solve that.
I'm more of an "opportunistic" shooter than a planner and given that I travel a lot for work means I have many opportunities but rarely have the tool with me, so for me that will make a big difference.

Reactions: CCTPREZ
Ok ok we are sick of hearing about the next best drone. This is why I added this post. Every time a product launch happens everyone sells there old quads to buy the next best thing. I guess in a hope to get better captures and maybe become the next drone YouTube star lol. But the truth is you have to know how to film and get the captures first even with a old drone. Then you can get the best from your own creative moments. Don't get me wrong I want a Mavic. But just to put it in my pocket for light transport.. Hell now when you film you have to go through the ***** stuff of planning to capture that best one moment. This is a video of old out of date quads in my footage . I don't think a MAVIC would improve this. Not just right now. What's your thoughts
I agree entirely with your approach to honing your photography/videography skill set. But if you have the opportunity to buy your first drone, whether that be for photographic related purposes or just the joy of flying, why wouldn't you want the latest technology to help you fly the thing safely and achieve great image quality. I don't know for sure, but I feel from what I've read and seen, a Mavic will suit my purpose better than a P3 or 4. One of the bigger benefits I like is the almost total lack of prop blade interference from the Mavic.

I think his rant is not about how to choose your first machine, but about the desire to upgrade with the latest and greatest when you've already got one that can still do the job.

I personally consider that doing something with anything less than the best tool I could afford is a waste of time and effort and a missed opportunity, so yes I'll always upgrade and get what I consider the best tool for the job from what's available.

Reactions: kmaluo
I think his rant is not about how to choose your first machine, but about the desire to upgrade with the latest and greatest when you've already got one that can still do the job.
Sure, but if flying drones is your hobby, acquiring a drone with the latest cool technology is also a part of that hobby. We each have a different threshold for "gotta have it"....the point where the technology is so much cooler that even though the ancient tech can "still do the job", the new tech does it easier, faster, more fun, and maybe enough better that the upgrade is worth it. I don't see that the Mavic is there yet, but other people have different thresholds.

I personally consider that doing something with anything less than the best tool I could afford is a waste of time and effort and a missed opportunity, so yes I'll always upgrade and get what I consider the best tool for the job from what's available.

I understand what Mr MacCool meant with the desire some people have of wanting the next best thing when you already have a perfectly serviceable tool at your disposal. I thought his biggest gripe was owners assuming that the best "tool" is all you need to capture great footage, rather than concentrating on developing your awareness of what makes a great finished video, opposed to capturing footage for the sake of it. Its like seeing people at a rock concert dancing around with a mobile phone held over their heads recording a video of their favourite band and expecting everyone on Facebook to like watching their footage, which at best makes you angry and at worst makes you feel physically ill ! Another analogy; a mid handicap golfer isn't going to improve his game by buying the latest set of clubs unless he gets fitted for them first and then does what he should have done before buying them by getting lessons from his local pro.

Many, myself included, just enjoy the latest tech. I drive for a living & frequently bring along one of my Phantoms as you never know when you might stumble across something interesting to record. This usually involves an extra trip in & out the door to load the Phantom case or backpack. With the reduced size of the Mavic I can more easily hang the smaller case over my shoulder or even toss it in my work bag. You can't grab shots if you don't have the drone & the Mavic makes bringing along the drone that much easier.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic