Do you get hounded by questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"People...people who need people...are the luckiest people..." Words to an old song. Think about those words for awhile. ;)

Been a technology fan for many years. Pilot a Phantom 3 Pro at 80 years of age. May still have questions, but get asked many by folks half my age. Having a blast in my golden years and have hopefully inspired a few, even though most are much younger.

Almost every time I go fly my drone in a public area, like a beach with tourists, I always get hounded down with questions from old people in their 40-60s, like old fashioned people who aren't up to date in technology. Ya it's cool they're amazed by it, but some of them think how can something like this be possible. Many of them doubt it and ask me stuff like what happens if it loses signal will it just crash. I tell them just comes back with GPS coordinates. I get the people born in the 60s-70s think something like this isn't possible, so anytime they see a drone they're like amazed by it.

Some people I have decent conversations with, like one old dude told me how he flew RC planes and showed me a video. But most the time I just feel like I get hounded down with questions than have engaging conversations with most these curious people. They just ask question after question rather than create a conversation.

Most younger people who are millennial and use smart phones are accustomed to drones. Especially when you go to a nerd convention then nobody really thinks much of your drone. It's always little kids or old people who are amazed by it or have tons of questions about the drone.

So many of them think it's hard to fly it, or think it would just suddenly crash or lose signal. But even with all the times I did lose signal, I usually don't have to worry since I know it will just come home. I trust this device and have so much faith in DJI that I don't really worry about losing the drone, even when signal goes out.

But seriously these are my list of questions

-Q:How far does this thing go
-How fast does it go
-Do you need license
-How is the battery life
-What happens when you lose signal
-What happens if you crash
-What are the laws
-What if you hit a plane/helicopter

I'm not really an expert, I just fly it for fun. But all these old people think you must be some kind of special person to operate these things. Even though now they're super cheap and a decent one can be obtained for less than $1000. To the point that anyone can just go on the internet and buy one. I don't really know how it works but I can go buy a used one on Craigslist and it usually just works. I just picked up a used Phantom 4 for $710 that came with 3 batteries, or 2 extra batteries since all drones should have 1 battery.

I drive a $80k limited edition orange M3 and for some reason the $700 drone gets a lot more attention and questions than my car.
Almost every time I go fly my drone in a public area, like a beach with tourists, I always get hounded down with questions from old people in their 40-60s, like old fashioned people who aren't up to date in technology. Ya it's cool they're amazed by it, but some of them think how can something like this be possible. Many of them doubt it and ask me stuff like what happens if it loses signal will it just crash. I tell them just comes back with GPS coordinates. I get the people born in the 60s-70s think something like this isn't possible, so anytime they see a drone they're like amazed by it.

Some people I have decent conversations with, like one old dude told me how he flew RC planes and showed me a video. But most the time I just feel like I get hounded down with questions than have engaging conversations with most these curious people. They just ask question after question rather than create a conversation.

Most younger people who are millennial and use smart phones are accustomed to drones. Especially when you go to a nerd convention then nobody really thinks much of your drone. It's always little kids or old people who are amazed by it or have tons of questions about the drone.

So many of them think it's hard to fly it, or think it would just suddenly crash or lose signal. But even with all the times I did lose signal, I usually don't have to worry since I know it will just come home. I trust this device and have so much faith in DJI that I don't really worry about losing the drone, even when signal goes out.

-How fast does it go
-Do you need license
-How is the battery life
-What are the laws

I'm not really an expert, I just fly it for fun. But all these old people think you must be some kind of special person to operate these things. Even though now they're super cheap and a decent one can be obtained for less than $1000. To the point that anyone can just go on the internet and buy one. I don't really know how it works but I can go buy a used one on Craigslist and it usually just works. I just picked up a used Phantom 4 for $710 that came with 3 batteries, or 2 extra batteries since all drones should have 1 battery.

I drive a $80k limited edition orange M3 and for some reason the $700 drone gets a lot more attention and questions than my car.
JetFalcon, I am an old man of 74. I still ride my Suzuki Hayabusa and I fly a DJI Phantom 4 Drone. I still swim 60 laps in our pool 3 times a week. I still own my new car I bought in 1967, A Pontiac GTO. I haven't slowed down yet.

-How fast does it go
-Do you need license
-How is the battery life
-What are the laws

What a condescending post! 'Old people in their 40s - 60s...'. I'm 59, I assure you I understand more about 'technology' than you (fancy coming out with a laser scanner to do to do a 'point cloud' on my next job?), I opened up one of the first 100 'internet shops' in the mid 90s and had a full page in a National newspaper about my 'skill and understanding' of the web, etc. My house is controlled by 'smart technology' and I now have the necessary funds to invest in emerging technology. I actually find the exact opposite problem to you - trying to gain the interest and understanding from 'kids' as, normally, they're too busy staring at their mobiles to even notice a drone - or what's happening around them! And to be honest, their complete lack of common sense makes their 'understanding technology' a mute point. Wish I knew where you lived, I'd come round and give you a good spanking - then send you to bed...

Reactions: ghutch
I can't stand it; not throwing in my comments to the imbecile who started this line. It's almost too easy to respond to this little kiddie. This kid's claim to fame is that he can tell the difference between cell phone models and pay for overpriced and impractical cars to mask his incompetence. Well, Whoop tee do. (Old Indiana cuss word). We old folks know that if his battery goes dead, he will be helpless in the real world and we will find him sobbing and quivering in a corner. Ask a waitress how to make change. Ask the little tyke how to add, subtract, multiply and divide simple numbers. Ask him anything about history, etc, etc.. He thinks he already knows everything in the world. I'm only 74 but at least I know how to fly real planes,(13,000 hours, 50 types up to and including airliners,), build a plane and test fly it, run an airport, sail a sailboat, shoot all calibers, build a house, remodel commercial buildings and houses, start and run multiple businesses, play golf, program computers, market real estate, etc, etc. I've gone through many cell phones back to the bag phone and I would be hard pressed to name more than 2 brands and no models. Actually, I am rather pleased that I can't name my cell phone because I have absolutely no interest in the subject. Every thing I do is more important to me than my cell phone. Oh no; I never used the word "like" so I must be old after all. Excuse me while I adjust my nose ring.

Reactions: AuldGimpy and Pharm
hahahahaha Old People 40+, hahahha, I must be a friggin Dinosaur then!

Good one I'm sure it's an innocent statement, but too funny!

I think this is a very successful troll.
This guy who seemingly pretends is in his early 20ies, WITH a 80K car!!!
Cmon.

Reactions: Pharm
Hi JetFalcon,
You sound very young, but be patient, you will mature. In the meantime, help answer people's questions. It will benefit our hobby. My wife and I are both 80 years old. We both fly drones, Right now we have four drones, and one of them (DJI P3P) has 359. air miles on it. Next week we are taking two drones to Colorado for 6 weeks of camping, Jeeping, and flying over 13,000 feet ASL (still less than 400 feet AGL). I wiil post a link to one of our flights from the last trip to Colorado.
See:
Dropbox - Colorado 2016

Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

PS: I would like to know if you have a block diagram of the Tx and Rx transmission channels on the DJI P3P lightbridge. I am trying to understand more about the actual flow of information to and from the RC and AC

Reactions: dirkclod
Joe this excludes your post .
But
Guys this has done got stupid and I am closing it now .
Got an Issue with it send it to me in a message and I will get right back to ya .
Promise :)

CLOSED

Reactions: Myetkt and gppms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4