Do you dare to use left throttle stick 100% to descent faster?

The myth probably comes from a bit of truth. While holding left stick fully down never shut off the motors you did risk your phantom going into vortex ring state because it was coming down too fast and washed any "good" air out from under your props and phantoms did fall out of the sky (Google vortex ring state it's too long winded to go into now). Over a year ago dji through firmware updates reduced the descent speed so VRS didn't happen anymore. I'm sure it is still maybe theoretically possible but we don't hear of it on phantoms that have the descent speed limited but even when if happened the motors never shut off.

Blimey .... all that in one breath ?? No commas ... full stops .... ??

No offence intended - just had to read it and put my own stops in !!

Nigel

Actually, I just got used to the throttle/yaw stick on the remote locking in down position (on the upgraded P2V controller) and was a bit surprised that the P3's controller doesn't do that. :)

- Roger

The P3 Standard controller can still be had with the locking down left stick ... mine has it. But my P3P does not lock down.

OK - I know from own experience :

1. The full CSC sequence of both sticks DOWN and IN will stop motors in the air - BUT there is a small delay to avoid accidentally applying drastic sticks and shutting down !
2. Left Stick full down only stops motors when Flight Controller gets data fed to it saying AC has stopped descending / moving vertically.

On the subject of Vortex and actually more important is Ground Effect : When the AC approaches ground and gets close - GROUND EFFECT causes the AC to 'float' a touch before continuing its last few inches / cms to the ground, even with Left Stick Full Down. BUT I suggest that using Left Stick full down to land as well is not good action. Nor is good to use the RTH to land as well ... much better to slow the descent before getting to the Ground Effect stage and then take care in choosing a nice spot to land. Once on ground - Left Stick Full Down to stop motors.

I will often use full descent speed as its a phase that often is not needed in the final video.

Nigel

Hi,

I just want to clear this issue for good, since now it is almost like a myth to me. Some people say that if I pull the left throttle stick 100% down to descent my Phantom faster, it may shut down the engines? Is there any truth to this issue?

I know the solo pull down of the left stick shuts down the engines when you have landed and already on the ground. Who would design such a feature if it may kill your bird when you're flying and descending? I hope it only is a rumor and urban legend.

So please, enlighten me. I am starting to get bored to slow descending ;)

Definitely not true - I quite often descend at 100% down

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik