Do we really need do break in the battery?

Reaction score
I read somewhere (and saw a video on youtube) that we should "break in" our battery properly:
First 10 flights, we should only use 50% (about 10mins) of flight, then recharge the battery to 100% and repeat the process...

Is that really necessary with DJI so-called "smart" batteries?

DJI does not mention this in the Phantom manual. So, they either forgot or it's not important. I'm thinking the latter :)

Smart batteries aren't a new DJI technology though. It's funny that this topic never came up when the Phantom 2 came out. And, now, it's important all of the sudden. Perhaps people got sick of talking about the free backpack that DJI did not give us :)

Reactions: arcaine25
I would like to add, I can't remember the group member that said it? so if it was you forgive me.

Make sure your firmware is on your SD disk in the bird when you put in any new batteries, as they update as well, just like the bird and tx.

Some say don't go below 50% for the first whatever charges I did not and everything is fine.
I did get some batteries and did not have the firmware on the sd disk, but now I am running them in the bird now with the firmware on.

That's all I can input. and it makes perfect sense seeing everyone is getting new batteries.

Make sure your firmware is on your SD disk in the bird when you put in any new batteries, as they update as well, just like the bird and tx.
This is what the DJI firmware installation instructions recommends too.

so im supposed to go through the update process with the 5 batteries I just bought? mmmmmmm no thanks

Julius717, just keep the latest firmware in the root of your memory card and the DJI Pilot application will update the firmware for you as you use each battery.

Reactions: Bill7259
I'm doing it... Maybe a different situation being a new Quad pilot, and getting my 3 batteries one at a time... I'm comfortable in "beginner mode" testing out things like RTH and the different flight modes while I break in my battery(ies) one at a time...

Even if it's not true with these advanced P3 smart batteries... Heli pilots have been doing it for a good while now and it's effectively proven to work with the older ones...

I'm no EE, but Pascals Wager might make this point, if not the intended... ;)

Yeah, but there's a LOT of "important" things DJI forgot to mention in the User Guide ;)

It seems the 2P4S P3 packs are constructed with LiHV cells. These may not require any of the conditioning mentioned.

Thus it may not have been forgotten.

Last edited:
Considering the rather high cost it's not a bad idea to bear in mind that running them very low is potentially going to shorten the life.
With the P2 it was often the best plan to do what you wanted at a location and bring it home around 50% anyway, then that battery is at around safe storage if you don't happen to get out again for a week or two.
This worked fine when you have at least 2 or 3 batteries, at the moment a lot of us are running one ragged so different rules apply!

As Clint Eastwood used to say, "Do you feel Lucky". If there is no harm, then why not do it. The worst to happen is you wasted some time. The best to happen is you extend the life of your $150 batteries.

What if "breaking in" does more harm since the Lipo are charge cycle sensitive? I don't know and I am just throwing that out. I am sure that if this was important DJI would have said something in the manual... Like what to do after 20 charge cycles...

Smart batteries aren't a new DJI technology though. It's funny that this topic never came up when the Phantom 2 came out. And, now, it's important all of the sudden. Perhaps people got sick of talking about the free backpack that DJI did not give us :)
Free backpack... I thought people wanted a free lens cap? Now they want a backpack??

This sounds like an "old wives' tale" - It's like swimming after eating. I have had lots of different heli's and now two Phantoms and have never had to break in a battery... I agree with spankybear - why use up good charge cycles just in case this is true (where there is no documentation from DJI supporting it).

so im supposed to go through the update process with the 5 batteries I just bought? mmmmmmm no thanks

well.... you might be on the latest anyway... but at some point you might be forced to go through that process - it's possible that DJI might force the issue by creating a Phantom firmware Battery firmware mismatch. Me? I'd rather be on the latest supported firmware.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea of 10 cycles to break in a battery (as I haven't seen any real technical data other than some guys saying it), but I do personally charge each new battery to 100% and then hover to get it back down to 50% just to make sure I get through one cycle without the battery going haywire for some unknown reason.

I will then fly normal, but play it a bit conservative for 5 flights and land at 45-50%. After that, I typically start to land at 30% (unless I am way out and have to start home earlier) to make sure I have plenty of juice.

I guess we will see if they last. I figure it only has to last me a year until I sell it and get a new version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.