Do I Need A Part 107 To Start A Drone Class?

Reaction score
I've been asked several times if I could do drone classes but always declined because of lack of time. Now that I have the time I've really been interested in doing drone classes in my area. But now I'm wondering if I need a part 107 to start a drone class and make money from it? I can't find anything online that answers my question, I also called a local college that had drone classes and they couldn't answer if the instructor had the part 107. It might be a stupid question to ask but I want to be 100% sure. I'm currently studying for the part 107 but I would like to do drone classes to help pay for the expenses.

I've been asked several times if I could do drone classes but always declined because of lack of time. Now that I have the time I've really been interested in doing drone classes in my area. But now I'm wondering if I need a part 107 to start a drone class and make money from it? I can't find anything online that answers my question, I also called a local college that had drone classes and they couldn't answer if the instructor had the part 107. It might be a stupid question to ask but I want to be 100% sure. I'm currently studying for the part 107 but I would like to do drone classes to help pay for the expenses.

You should read this...

Drone Law for Drone Training Educators, K-12 Schools, & Universities. (Updated for 2017)

How are you going to teach the class and never fly the aircraft?

If you fly the aircraft at all, outside, you'll need a Part 107 because "Teaching" is not hobby/recreational. Now if you genuinely don't fly and you are not there to take over the controls if something goes wrong then I could see where no Part 107 is required but is that really the right way to proceed? I just can't see not flying a single time. We "instruct" and we are constantly demonstrating what we are expecting and also "What-If" scenarios.

The test is a weekend or so of studying and $150. Why not step up to the plate and lead by example and you'll have that card in your pocket just in case.

While I can't personally imagine taking classes, I would not pay a fee to someone who is not licensed and insured at some level.

Once you have the required business credentials I think the question answers itself.

Reactions: BigAl07
While I can't personally imagine taking classes, I would not pay a fee to someone who is not licensed and insured at some level.

Once you have the required business credentials I think the question answers itself.

We teach EMS/LEO classes for Public Safety Depts and if you don't have the credentials to teach you aren't even considered.

Thanks for all the help! I should have been more specific but It's not a like first time flying drone class. I currently do photo and video editing classes and few clients have drones and asked me to consider doing classes. Basically, the idea is to show them camera settings for different weather conditions and situations, how to properly use the intelligent flight mode on DJI drones. Just a few examples, but after taking the class which would probably be just one class, they can go out take pictures and videos and use it in the photo and video editing classes.

Camera Settings would be no 107 required. Flying to demonstrate flight modes might be a whole other story. To really get the most definitive answer I'd contact your local FSDO and get something in writing one way or the other. This way you're covered.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20