dng/raw mode help needed ** TITLE CHANGE: Can I use use FC200 v1.3.0g and v3.08 without issue ?? **

Reaction score
hey

Started playing around with the camera settings and I don't know much about this stuff so maybe its part of the problem :]

Anyways the other day I set the output mode of shots to be "raw" and changed the amount of shots to take from 1 to 3.
I assued this means take 3 photo's ?

While flying I ran into an issue I've never had before... after some shots were taken, you know you wait the normal 10 or so seconds then FPV comes back... well FPV didnt came back, was just blank screen. The button to take another pic or video was greyed out.
To fix it I had to reboot the phantom. Even tried rebooting phone/RE before the phantom to resolve. have had over 300 flights (2x batteries on over 150 cycles) and this has never happened before. Sometimes you start app and its gre

The real reason for the thread was this next part beneath :]
(the black fpv was just what I remembered now while writing hehe)

So once I got back I looked on the sdcard and there was a DNG file and JPG both with exact same timestamp/picture for every shot I took.
I was expecting just a folder full of DNG files and 3 of the same, or 3 pics with tiny differances (if it takes 3 shots)

Oh yeah and again this might be user error but when I compare the DNG images to the replica JPG images, the JPG images have so much more color and just look way better...... not sure if this is related to my image viewer... adobe lightroom... no idea how to use lightroom, but assumed I don't need to change settings for it to display a DNG properly lol....

So for those TL;DR
a) why do I have DNG and JPG of same pic
b) how come I don't have 3 of either DNG or JPG.
c) is the killing the FPV, i.e black screen related to DNG ? Some may say my wifi module is dying but the next day I did another 2 batterys worth of flights and took heaps of shots in JPG and had no FPV death issues..
d)In adobe lightroom DNG images are less vibrant, less colors?? and just don't look as good compared to the replica JPG.

Oh yeah I am running either 3.08 or 3.06... I thimk 3.08.. will check in a bit.... incase there was known issues ????

I also aren't using the newish camera update that came out a while back to support 3.10 or something...

so yeah just running things needed for 3.06/308

When you tell the P2V+ to shoot DNG, it gives you a DNG and .jpg of the same shot.
DNG will always look uncooked and needs some clever post processing to give you the photo you want.
Shooting raw is a pain with the P2 and unless you are really going for painstaking high-end results, it's probably unnecessary for most operators.
Have a look at these ... all shot in jpg mode. It's not too shabby.
http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Land/i-QVRKCmk

The DNG look 'funny' when drawn with a simple viewer like (say) picasa, strange blue/green/red colours. I use Adobe PS to open/convert them. I think Lightroom does the same.

Cool thanks guys, that covers most of it.
Also I think the multiple photo thing might be me looking wrong...Say I set it to 3x photos... will it shoot 1 in DNG and 2 (or3) more in JPG ?

Basically threads almost solved... just if anyone has any input into the black screen after shot (only in RAW mode).. It doesn;t happen every time or every 10th time... seems to just be random so I can't replicate.

thanks again guys :)

I've had 'blank screen' twice in about 60 flights. One time was fixed by restarting the app whilst the phantom was in the air, the other I had to use home lock and bring it back 'blind'. Once the phantom was restarted it was fine again.

I actually re-read my OP and noticed I accidently chopped out abit of words in regarding to blank/grey screens ...
touchpad is making mouse jump to random spots and deleting/editing/chopping words/paragraphs...
verrrrrrrry annoying..

anyways previously I had an issue of a grey screen... more often than not.. start app the app.. click on camera, tele stats and GPS data all fine, GS all fine but instead of FPV it was grey. To resolve I went back to main menu in app (didn't even need to exit app) then clicked camera buttom and it was perfect again.. FPV was back, could reboot, change batteries all fine for a few flights. Barely consideed it an issue seems it was so easy and quick for me to get around.

But yeah this black screen issue only happens in RAW mode... tested for a good few hours today, diff settings etc etc and I can't say it will happen atleast once in every battery nor can I say it will happen after taking every X amount of pics... I can't say much really lol...

Its only just come about as a relative wants me to do some shots in RAW which made me notice the black FPV screen... My relative who is a photographer confirmed what you folks said about RAW being crap, so thanks for that :) I understand that bit now.

Did some searching and many people believe black/grey (depends on definition maybe?) means wifi module could be on its way out/dying. My wifi module and RE is perm boosted to 17dbm / 50mw and has been for around 280 batteries worth of flights out of approx 300 flights. (perm boostred as in, instead of using a booster amp on mobile device, when the module and RE boot up they run the commands themselves to change from default to 50mw so I don't need to use the booster every time. End result is exact same result, just saves me 1 minute of messing around. Anyways I don't think its due to this because if I change mode back to JPG I just have the grey screen issue that is resolved by going to main menu in app then back to camera.... then if I change to RAW if the prooblem occurs its only resolved by rebooting phantom.

So now the novel is out of the way the question lol... (and its more of another novel sorry) :/
I'm using v3.08 I'm not home at the moment so I can't check my version of the FC200 firmware but I know it is definetly NOT the latest version fc200-1.3.0g. If I recall that came out to support version 3.10 or some version of firmware/app I was not using... I am using the version of FC200 that came out before that.. it was included when I got my p2v+ (non v3) in Sep or Oct 2014.. I remember because before they upgraded the FC200 firmware a while before that I downloaded it and followed instructions to install it... in the end I discovered the firmware was not loaded onto the FC200 as it was already what was installed..

So back to the question(s) part :p in the FC200 1.3.0g readme it mentions

"
Major New Features:
The latest Phantom 2 Vision+ FC200 firmware (v1.3.0) fixes the issue of the camera failing to start in some cases and adds the ability to modify the filename prefix of photos if using the DJI SDK. Update your camera firmware according to your needs. "
The first part has sparked my interest....

a)will it perhaps fix the grey screen annoyance I have?
b)Will it fix the issue I have RAW / black screen requiring reboot
c) will it stuff up the camera and force me to update the firmware

I am very happy with 3.0x and don't want 3.12 or 3.14... I don't care about the new no flight zone crap... I live pretty far from the white house, but it seems like alot of people are not happy with 3.1x update ??

Does anybody have a copy of the FC200 Firmware before 1.3.0g came out ?
When I have the phantom infront of me I can confirm what version FC200 firmware I have... I recently got a new laptop so even though I downloaded the FC200 firmware a while before the update came out I didn't backup absolutely everything.... like old firmware :/

On that site that has old assistant/APK I can see the oldest firmware it has for FC200 is 1.1.9
but that raises another question... if I update to v1.3.0 and things get screwed up and I need to update phantom firmware, can i just downgrade back to 1.1.9 or what ever version I am running now. like I said I can confirm current FC200 version when I hook it upto assistant software tomorrow... and yes I know I need to ensure I have no internet acess or sme updates are FORCED upon me....

quite happy with my current setup/firmware...a little unsure of what updating camera FC200 firmware will do. BTW I'm happy to hear peoples opinions, thus why I posted up :) but please be specific if you say you can upgrade FC200 firmware and if your opinion is you can probably downgrade, please don't forget to mention the opinion part. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but with stuff like firmware adding in keywords such as "im my opinion", "probably", "perhaps" "who knows" goes a long while.

anywho sorry for the very long read :)

Last edited:
Noone either still running older firmware (3.0x) and updates to latest camera fw (v1.3.0g) ???

Or noone ever upsate camera fw to v1 3.0g then sucessfully downgrade back to previous version?

Ive started playing with other DJI apps finally so perhaps it will resolve some issues...or make alot worse :/

When you tell the P2V+ to shoot DNG, it gives you a DNG and .jpg of the same shot.
DNG will always look uncooked and needs some clever post processing to give you the photo you want.
Shooting raw is a pain with the P2 and unless you are really going for painstaking high-end results, it's probably unnecessary for most operators.
Have a look at these ... all shot in jpg mode. It's not too shabby.
http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Land/i-QVRKCmk
Wow, very nice. What did you shoot with please? If its a vision+ can you let me know the settings for night shooting please?

Thank you
Phil

Wow, very nice. What did you shoot with please? If its a vision+ can you let me know the settings for night shooting please?
Thanks .. most were shot with a P2V+ but I have been using the P3 for the last few weeks now.
Unfortunately the P2V+ doesn't do night shooting very well - so those were the P3 on auto.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31