DJI Repair Experience

Reaction score
I wanted to relate a positive DJI repair experience. I posted a few months ago about my P4P going into atti mode. @Meta4 correctly diagnosed a faulty or loose GPS module. I finally got around to sending the P4P to DJI in California for repair. They called and emailed me the day they received it to let me know they had it in their hands. A few days later they sent an email with photos of the GPS error and stated apparently there was a bad fan as well. The repair price was $179.00. Pricey? Maybe, but I wanted a working drone so I could sell it without issue. They completed the repair and shipped the drone back to me. Total turn around time including shipping was less than two weeks and they paid for shipping to their facility and back to my house.

The thing is, they didn't repair my drone. I received what appears to be a new P4P as it is shiny and new with a different serial number, stickers over the sensors and by the motors etc. They even retuned my ND filter that was on my old drone. I suppose it's possible it is a refurbished model, but based on its immaculate condition it looks new (???). So, a "repair" that cost $179.00 bought me a new P4P, not much more than 1 year of Care Refresh for a drone I've had since 2017. At this point I've decided to keep it.

I've already bound the new drone to the old controller and gone into the settings to change them as a like. Tomorrow I'll take it for a test flight. I am curious if it really is a new drone or does DJI commonly exchange repairs for refurbished drones and how could I tell?
05112022 P4P Drone.jpg

Reactions: Capt KO
Wow. With the DJI store in Scottsdale closed now, I wonder if we should send ours to CA for repair on the GPS (no sattelites) and gimbal (erratic camera swivels on startup).

I have had similar good experiences wit DJI repair. And I agree I believe they replaced my broken drone every time with a refurbished one. Doing so is probably just a lot quicker on their end and makes for a better customer experience.

Really no difference between refurb and new if it came from DJI.
There was talk at one time that DJI included a letter”R” in a serial number to distinguish a refurb product, but that was some time ago and may not apply any longer.
Not uncommon for DJI to send back“new” verses repairing what you sent.

Reactions: gringorio
I had the same experience with the California DJI repair shop. Great, quick service and low price for a new drone and controller! I had minor cracks in the "legs" and a burnt out battery connection (due to a swollen battery - lesson learned), and they replaced it, and controller for about $120. Your new Phantom will need to be updated before flying. Enjoy!

Cheaper than any repair shops, for sure. They replace remotes for $100 but sounds like you did even better. It's got me thinking.

I just had basically the same experience with DJI. My P4P started going in and out of ATTI mode. It's several years old, way past warranty. DJI paid for the UPS shipping cross country to Cali. Repairs cost $121, and the turnaround time from receipt at DJI to shipping me a brand new (or refurbed) P4P was 26 hours. They also offered me a new Refresh Care warranty, so now I have a new P4P with an extended warranty.

I just had basically the same experience with DJI. My P4P started going in and out of ATTI mode. It's several years old, way past warranty. DJI paid for the UPS shipping cross country to Cali. Repairs cost $121, and the turnaround time from receipt at DJI to shipping me a brand new (or refurbed) P4P was 26 hours. They also offered me a new Refresh Care warranty, so now I have a new P4P with an extended warranty.
Did new Refresh cost more than the replacement? They still charge again if used. But full on crash worth it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31