DJI Phantom 4 RTK extreme beginner questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My employer, an architectural firm, has given me the task of operating and using a DJI Phantom 4 RTK. We have the mobile base station and apparently everything. (I am not a surveryor, but an architect.)
I recently managed to set up everything I could figure out. I connected the mobile station and flew the aircraft in RTK mode and got a few files (photos + some files I don't understand) out of it. I am still quite in the dark on how to actually use the date provided by the aircraft. Having no experience in the field whatsoever I don't know what to expect. I am kind of hoping at least for a stitched giant photo of the site + some autocad file that includes the Z information perhaps?
I would share the files but that due to some legal issues I would rather not. The site is a village, so lots of small buildings rather than a continuous terrain of farms or mountains or w/e.
I am having a rather secondary issue which is that the map is blank on the remote controller. Nothing is showing up. I set the way points for the photogrammetry by rough estimation, but I would like a bit more precision than that.
So, two questions:
  1. How to process and use the data (preferably to integrate with BIM)?
  2. How to make the map show up on the RC, or at least some way to plan paths in advance without pressing blindly on it.
I noticed sites like DroneDeploy just say "upload everything to us" but I would like to avoid paid solutions for the time being, at least not until we know what to expect out of them. WebODM seems useful, but I cannot figure out from the website whether it supports DJI P4R or not.
Thanks for reading.

You might get better response from commercialdronepilots.com in the Drones in Surveying & Mapping section. The link is at the bottom of the page.

Reactions: lasersbee
Hey everyone,
My employer, an architectural firm, has given me the task of operating and using a DJI Phantom 4 RTK. We have the mobile base station and apparently everything. (I am not a surveryor, but an architect.)
I recently managed to set up everything I could figure out. I connected the mobile station and flew the aircraft in RTK mode and got a few files (photos + some files I don't understand) out of it. I am still quite in the dark on how to actually use the date provided by the aircraft. Having no experience in the field whatsoever I don't know what to expect. I am kind of hoping at least for a stitched giant photo of the site + some autocad file that includes the Z information perhaps?
I would share the files but that due to some legal issues I would rather not. The site is a village, so lots of small buildings rather than a continuous terrain of farms or mountains or w/e.
I am having a rather secondary issue which is that the map is blank on the remote controller. Nothing is showing up. I set the way points for the photogrammetry by rough estimation, but I would like a bit more precision than that.
So, two questions:
  1. How to process and use the data (preferably to integrate with BIM)?
  2. How to make the map show up on the RC, or at least some way to plan paths in advance without pressing blindly on it.
I noticed sites like DroneDeploy just say "upload everything to us" but I would like to avoid paid solutions for the time being, at least not until we know what to expect out of them. WebODM seems useful, but I cannot figure out from the website whether it supports DJI P4R or not.
Thanks for reading.
Hi
What I suggest you might do is read the manual. If you are looking to make maps and 3d models you will need software that will stitch the photos together. Like Agisoft, and several others, the basic agisoft photogrammetry software is about 180 quid, the pro version is about 3.5 k. If you want serious geolocated/referenced maps you will (for ease of processing) probably need to subscribe to drone deploy agisoft (stand alone software) or /and pix 4d, Zephyr etc. the p4 rtk can use NTRIP ( a 4 g card in the dongle of the remote controller to get geotagged photos.

To begin with are you a 107 pilot? If you are not, do not fly for work until you get you 107 license

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj