DJI Phantom 3 - Best new drone? Video overview and discussion...

Reaction score
DJI Phantom 3 Official Release and overview.
Could the Phantom 3 be the best small drone for 2015?

You decide... What do you think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: TMSmalley
"Best of 2015"... Seriously?
Ahhhh... a bit premature don't ya think?

Or are you just trying to drive up traffic, I mean sales???

It does look a little confusing though. Two types of Vision.. one that can take stills and one that can take video. It doesn't look like both versions can take both video and stills.

I might consider buying the camera and gimbal for my P2V+, if it can do both, and if it can retrofit.

I read on the website that the camera and gimbal are non removable. This seems pretty bad for the user. So if you crash your new p3 and bend the gimbal then your out the whole unit or at least you have to send the whole thing back to them to get fixed.

It does look a little confusing though. Two types of Vision.. one that can take stills and one that can take video. It doesn't look like both versions can take both video and stills.
I

They both have the same specs and capabilities for still photos. The Pro version shoots 4K video while the Advance version maxes out at 1080p.

I read on the website that the camera and gimbal are non removable. This seems pretty bad for the user. So if you crash your new p3 and bend the gimbal then your out the whole unit or at least you have to send the whole thing back to them to get fixed.
That's pretty much the same as the P2V+

So smaller battery and gets 23min flight time ? More weight with the new sensor . Autopilot because who wants to fly their machine ?
The way he says how incredible it is they added light bridge to the for the price of the bird . The way I take that is they where over charging everyone that bought a light bridge .
I won't buy anything that the cam dose not come off seems dji is doing away with us that use gopros . The flight time got me laughing can not wait till someone gets one and dose a hands on not reading the bs they say .

So smaller battery and gets 23min flight time ?

Smaller???
The P3 batt. actually has about 10 more watts or about 12% more capacity compared to the P2 batt.

So smaller battery and gets 23min flight time ? More weight with the new sensor
Well no .. it's a bigger battery for a start.
68 watt hours vs 57.7 Wh for the P2.
It needs a bigger battery because it has to power a lot more. The lightbridge transmits video and control signal up to 2 kilometres and that takes juice.

P3 owners are going to be either professionals or advanced users, they will never crash. Your piloting ability is clearly labelled on the front of the P3.

the still shots on the DJI site have no noticeable fisheye but the camera has a 2.8 lens, have they been edited or does the new camera not have fisheye???

I can see me selling a cheap P2V+

the still shots on the DJI site have no noticeable fisheye but the camera has a 2.8 lens, have they been edited or does the new camera not have fisheye???

I can see me selling a cheap P2V+
new camera does not have fisheye

P3 owners are going to be either professionals or advanced users, they will never crash. Your piloting ability is clearly labelled on the front of the P3.
LOL....I'll wait for the "Top Gun" version then....

Smaller???
The P3 batt. actually has about 10 more watts or about 12% more capacity compared to the P2 batt.
Going off the vid posted he said 4400 as to the 5500 in previous P2 it'll be lighter ?
Now mind you I am a redneck not a MC Square kinda guy so that maybe went over my head :( .
Sorry buddy ;)

Going off the vid posted he said 4400 as to the 5500 in previous P2 it'll be lighter ?
Now mind you I am a redneck not a MC Square kinda guy so that maybe went over my head :( .
Sorry buddy ;)

I didn't watch the video.
Here's the math:

volts x capacity (mAh) = wattage

Even though the P3 capacity is lower, the voltage is higher.

In this case the P3 has more power (watts)

The two cameras have lenses of different focal lengths.
The new lens is a rectilinear (flat) wideangle with a field of view of 94º while the old camera had a fisheye lens with 140º FOV
The new camera has an f2.8 lens - just like the P2V+ does
BUT f2.8 has nothing to do with fisheye or field of view.
It's a measure of how much light the lens gathers.

Reactions: locoworks
I read on the website that the camera and gimbal are non removable. This seems pretty bad for the user. So if you crash your new p3 and bend the gimbal then your out the whole unit or at least you have to send the whole thing back to them to get fixed.[/QUOTE said:
That's pretty much the same as the P2V+

Not true on the P2V+ .... cut the antidrop pins, pull the plugs and the gimbal/cam comes right off ....I have done mine and flies fine ........m

thanks Meta4

I think the best news is it runs on 2.4ghz so upgrading the transmitter to a regular brand and keeping FPV and camera control might be easier???

Last edited:
I doubt that you could use a different Tx and if you did not sure it would be an "upgrade" or why you would want to.
The lightbridge units are quite sophisticated and include camera controls.
It's most unlikely you can find a replacement that will handle the FPV video and work with the P3 app.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31