DJI Phantom 1.1.1

Reaction score
First of all , hello

We had purchased a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 from Bh Store, got delivered last week, lot of fun flying it so far we are happy, want to take a next step, is there a way i can get a live feed from gopro hero 3 , on to my ipad ,

Sorry we are not technically sound, or what will be the best way to get live video which i assume also called FPV.

Reactions: Sandra
First of all , hello

We had purchased a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 from Bh Store, got delivered last week, lot of fun flying it so far we are happy, want to take a next step, is there a way i can get a live feed from gopro hero 3 , on to my ipad ,

Sorry we are not technically sound, or what will be the best way to get live video which i assume also called FPV.

Not being technically inclined, you'll probably not be able to get a live feed from a P1 (i.e.V1.1.1) since it means opening up the quads shell and changing some electronics.

If you know someone that's good with electronics there are many links here that walk you through what has to be done.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774685&pp=10

Have the person doing the work, do searches for PMU V2, Can Bus connection and OSD to find out details.

Good luck and welcome to a really great hobby....;)

Reactions: Sandra
First of all , hello

Not sure what your budget is. I have a P1 with Fatshark Predator V2. Transmitter with Fpv goggles. Under $300. I also can plug in a lcd monitor to the goggles. Don't need to open Phantom. The video transmitter on the Phantom plugs into the balance plug on the flight battery.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Hello
You can put together an Fpv setup for ~$300 (transmitter, camera and receiver/monitor). Depending on where you live and the setup you buy, you may need an a ameture radio license to broadcast the video.

Honestly I would just play with the P1 as is and save up for a P3 or similar. I spent over $400 upgrading my 1.1.1 with Fpv osd ect and that does not include the cost of a GOPRO. It's fun to perform the upgrades but not very cost effective in the end.

Either way good luck and fly safe.

Hello
You can put together an Fpv setup for ~$300 (transmitter, camera and receiver/monitor). Depending on where you live and the setup you buy, you may need an a ameture radio license to broadcast the video.

Honestly I would just play with the P1 as is and save up for a P3 or similar. I spent over $400 upgrading my 1.1.1 with Fpv osd ect and that does not include the cost of a GOPRO. It's fun to perform the upgrades but not very cost effective in the end.

Either way good luck and fly safe.

Redmoe,
Are you happy with your upgraded P1 ?
If I can add live telemetry and decent FPV to my P1 for $400 I would be VERY happy.
That would mean a total investment of only $675.00
A real SJ4000 2k is only $139.00 and some say it beats the GoPro black.

Its fun to fly but no where near my P3 in the performance department.

I added following parts:
DJI upgrade board and modified it to get access to the CAN Bus - lots of soldering
DJI iosd mini
Fatshark go pro/fpv camera mount
Fatshark 600tvl camera
Immersion rc 600mw transmitter
Immersion rc rhcp antenna
This was about $250 but can be done cheaper. You need to be comfortable with soldering.

On the receiver side:
Flysky blackpearl
Immersion rc rhcp antennas
Mount for the monitor

About another $250 here

You can ditch the upgrade board and iosd to get the price in the $400 range but will not have the telemetry.

If you want gimble for the camera you are looking at another $50 to $300.

I would go ahead and just get a P3P but I hear too many horror stories still.
There are still too many FW issues for my comfort level.
It's not so much the cost as having the investment wave bye bye.
I'm sure this will anger some. But from all my reading it seems to be the case.

No harm in waiting for the p3 to mature. I do think there is a lot of focus on the problems vs positive. I have had 20 flights with no issues.

I have almost lost my p1 due to weak performance in unexpected winds. Obviously not the quads fault.

With any model aircraft you are assuming risk of losing it. The loss of investment is one thing but the bigger concern is having to land on someone. That's where fly a ways really scare me.

I'm sure you will have fun with either option.

I know. I've read some users posts where they had flown "X" number of times then out of nowhere.....
The prospect of harming someone with it magnifies the problem exponentially.
However, unless someone is disregarding the warnings and takes it upon themselves to regularly fly where the chance of hitting a person is elevated, I think the odds of hitting someone are slim.

I think the technology will mature in another year. It's all VERY new at this point still.

IMO any bird using BMS equipped battery packs (P2/P3) should probably install and use an RF tracker of some type. BMS can cut-off at any moment and bird can quickly drop and/or attempt to land someplace.

Marco Polo RC Tracker only adds 12g, no 3G cell service required.

P1's really don't suffer many fly away problems but I still use a tracker just for peace of mind.

I’ve personally tested the Pet tag version (45g) to about 1 mile over fairly flat, mild rolling hill terrain.

Of course, now contemplating if saving 30g weight is worth $95? This dang hobby, LOL….

Reactions: JKDSensei
First of all , hello

You can buy a fpv transmitter and r3ec set from either UUU store.com or Hobbyking for about 50 bucks. A cable adapter for your go pro to the trans from ready made llc for 12 bucks. use a 2s 800mah battery held on with velcro to powwer the trans. or splice in to two leads on your 11.1 v battery. use a 7.4 volt batt on your receiver also
First of all , hello

Not being technically inclined, you'll probably not be able to get a live feed from a P1 (i.e.V1.1.1) since it means opening up the quads shell and changing some electronics.

If you know someone that's good with electronics there are many links here that walk you through what has to be done.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774685&pp=10

Have the person doing the work, do searches for PMU V2, Can Bus connection and OSD to find out details.

Good luck and welcome to a really great hobby....;)
First of all , hello

Looks like Sandra checked out over two weeks ago and hasn't been back since.
I wonder if he/she was overwhelmed?

Looks like Sandra checked out over two weeks ago and hasn't been back since.
I wonder if he/she was overwhelmed?

Could be another "One-Hit-Wonder"... :rolleyes:, or maybe she started looking around and found what she needed to know.

Post number 4, which is by the OP, sure makes it sound like it "Thank you Guys Much Appreciate your help"

My main concern in this thread is that I also have a 1.1.1 and I also think about FPV occasionally (although I doubt I'll do it on the P1)

So, I guess I'm a little disappointed when people don't tell us if they found a solution or even if they've decided against it and why. I hope if the OP is still lurking and reads this they will at least share that since we did "try" to help.

But I won't hold my breath.

My main concern in this thread is that I also have a 1.1.1 and I also think about FPV occasionally (although I doubt I'll do it on the P1)

So, I guess I'm a little disappointed when people don't tell us if they found a solution or even if they've decided against it and why. I hope if the OP is still lurking and reads this they will at least share that since we did "try" to help.

But I won't hold my breath.
Hi JKD,
I'm a bit confused by your disappointment. Just a quick search found these threads in the forum:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/fpv-gimbal-for-phantom-1-1-1-with-easy-installation.10326/

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/fpv-setup.39351/

Here's a thread that's very thorough and detailed. Once again, thanks IFLY for starting that thread.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...or-adding-fpv-and-osd-sosd-to-the-fc40.39289/

Here's a thread I started sharing my FPV experience.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sj4000-wifi-distance.27547/#post-253627

From reading through the threads it seems to me that most people who have attempted it were successful and happy about doing so. I have to admit though if you read through my thread there was a point at which I was about ready to throw in the towel (LOL) but I eventually got'er done. :) Also, my setup was a bit unique since I'm using a windows tablet for my monitor.

If you want to give it a go I'd highly recommend it and should you run into problems I have no doubt that the great people here in this forum would get you through it. Doing so would also give you a lot of experience should you want to try on a different platform. You said that if you could add telemetry and FPV for under $400 you'd be VERY happy. It absolutely can be done for under $400 and it's obvious you want to but just may be a little hesitant thinking it might be beyond your capability. Trust me, it isn't and I think you'd be immensely happy with what you accomplished! In any event, best'o luck to ya and if I can help in any way feel free to reach out, although please note I have nowhere near the experience that's already here on the forum.;)

BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: redmoe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair