DJI LETTER RE DRONES TO BE INCLUDED IN LIST FOR NEW RULES CANADA

Reaction score

Cc: Avant Fu <[email protected]>; Derek Deng <[email protected]>

Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 10:31:44 p.m. EST

Subject: DJI Welcomes Release of Modernized Canadian Drone Rules

DJI Welcomes Release of Modernized Canadian Drone Rules

Government Implementing Rules That Will Balance Safety With Benefits Of Drone Technology

January 9, 2019 – DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, welcomes today’s publication of modernized Canadian drone regulations as a measured approach ensuring that Canada remains open to safe and responsible use of drones.

“The regulatory framework published strikes a sensible balance between protecting public safety and bringing the benefits of drone technology to Canadian businesses and the public at large,” said Brendan Schulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI. “The vast majority of drone pilots fly safely and responsibly, and governments, aviation authorities and drone manufacturers agree we need to work together to ensure that all drone pilots know basic safety rules.”

DJI is pleased that thousands of people submitted comments to Transport Canada to help them understand how drones are being used safely and productively already, and how to integrate them safely into the airspace without unduly burdening their ability to fly. These comments were clearly heard, as the final regulations are much improved from the draft rules.

“Several aspects of Canada’s new regulations are particularly innovative,” added Schulman, “including an easily accessible online test, rules that will allow for night operations, and a framework that will keep drones away from major airports while not simply outlawing operations anywhere near populated areas.”

A key component of these new rules is the Safety Assured Flight Envelope (SAFE) system, through which manufacturers will declare that their drones are suitable for use in advanced operations, such as over people or in controlled airspace. DJI will be examining the details of the SAFE system with the goal of participating in it, to continue to provide leading products for our commercial and enterprise customers in Canada.

DJI supports rules that make it easy for pilots to register with the authorities, as well as educational initiatives to ensure pilots understand how to fly drones safely. DJI strongly condemns unsafe and illegal drone operations, and believes registration schemes, online knowledge tests to educate drone pilots, and reasonable restrictions on where drones can fly are the best tools to ensure drones maintain their admirable safety record.

DJI has led the industry in developing technology to help enhance the safety of drone operations:

➢In 2013, DJI pioneered geofencing systems for its drones, using GPS position to warn or restrict drone pilots from entering locations which pose national security or aviation safety concerns.

➢In 2016, DJI upgraded its geofencing programming to include the capability for live updates of temporary flight restrictions and other changing hazardous conditions such as wildfires, while also adding flexibility for drone pilots with authority to operate in those locations.

➢DJI built automatic altitude limitations into its flight control apps to help pilots ensure they fly at safe altitudes.

Ill be very surprised if DJI adds the SAFE certification to any of their exisiting drones. In fact I've read elsewhere that they have no intention of certifying any phantom, mavic, or inspire models currently in use. However at this point it's all speculation. I'm strictly a recreational pilot and will only be taking the basic certificate so the SAFE certification isnt really important to me but for the many users that fly commercially this will be a very important issue and DJI would be foolish imo to exclude so many Canadian pilots from continuing their business. It will be very interesting to see how this develops....

Reactions: Capt. Joe
Ill be very surprised if DJI adds the SAFE certification to any of their exisiting drones. In fact I've read elsewhere that they have no intention of certifying any phantom, mavic, or inspire models currently in use. However at this point it's all speculation. I'm strictly a recreational pilot and will only be taking the basic certificate so the SAFE certification isnt really important to me but for the many users that fly commercially this will be a very important issue and DJI would be foolish imo to exclude so many Canadian pilots from continuing their business. It will be very interesting to see how this develops....

Are you in Canada? What area and where do you fly? I am also recreational but want to take videos over people??
Thanks

@3rdof5 - The UAV Site Selection Tool is a nice touch and kudo's for posting that. As a commercial operator I simply use ForeFlight (which was handy when a NOTAM is required), but this is a quick and easy free reference tool for all operators alike.

@DavidGnew Regarding the updated rules, It is important to note that all operators (of drones 250g to 25kg) will require an online exam, and advanced operators will require a follow up in-field competency review by an authorized Transport Canada trainer/reviewer. SFOC's are still required for drones larger than 25kg (That's 55 lbs for our US friends). The study sessions for your online exam should ensure you are up to speed for general questions. Canada New Drone Rules

My personal contacts with NAV Canada have not heard anything from DJI however, from a conversation with my DJI rep, he referred to their news release (also quoted above) and noted the following:

"From the trainer in here last week, SFOC’s will still be valid going forward but that they won't be all that relevant except in those circumstances where Advanced operations cannot be applied. You wont need it until you do. Having one will still be advantageous for a while it seems.

But, equally clear was that no one really knows anything yet, but certainly the manufacturer self-declaring assurance is necessary.
The States have a similar assurance clause in their RPAS so this should be of no surprise to anyone at DJI, or industry generally.

We are 26 days post TC announcement. Will the 70% all, to 80% enterprise level, global leader ignore ICAO and leading nation regulatory bodies? Doesn’t seem like it would be a good B2B decision.
We have a ways to go yet. But knowing sooner rather than later would be nice."

@Hendricks posted a nice thread this morning In Canada, after June 1st. what are you likely to face?

Have a good day, Eh.

Last edited:
I am in Ontario and have taken and passed the basic.
Still, I am not sure because everything regarding commercial use is so vague.
Can we fly for profit (I.E.: take a pic for a realtor) with a basic ticket in non-restricted airspace and according the all relevant regulations of basic flight after the new rules take affect?

I am in Ontario and have taken and passed the basic.
Still, I am not sure because everything regarding commercial use is so vague.
Can we fly for profit (I.E.: take a pic for a realtor) with a basic ticket in non-restricted airspace and according the all relevant regulations of basic flight?
Hi
Firstly what material did you use to study for the basic exam please?
Secondly I believe if you stick to the rules and law determined by your level of certificate you’re ok. Check on distances allowed. For the basic exam certificate I believe they are very restricted.
Cheers

Hi
Firstly what material did you use to study for the basic exam please?
Secondly I believe if you stick to the rules and law determined by your level of certificate you’re ok. Check on distances allowed. For the basic exam certificate I believe they are very restricted.
Cheers
I used no study material, don't think there is one.

So you just used general knowledge?
I have flown helicopters and RC CP rotary aircraft in the last 40 years, so I suppose you could call it that.

Conversely, some questions you would not know (I.E.: weather, wind shear, NOTAM, tower radio frequencies) if you only fly drones, so a lot of questions were not at all relevant to flying UAV, clearly designed to limit passing of the exam.
I also hear that many of the exam questions in the "basic" are simply repeated in the "advanced" with additional, more relevant questions thrown in regarding unmanned air vehicles.

The "basic" is a joke and won't do any more for safety than our gun laws do; only the honest folks will abide.....

Are you in Canada? What area and where do you fly? I am also recreational but want to take videos over people??
Thanks
If you want to fly over crowds or lower over people than the basic allows, you need to go "advanced", or get something under 250 grams, like a ZeroTech Dobby to be on the safe-side!
Unfortunately the DJI Spark weighs more than 250 grams......

Hi
I have a Phantom 4 Pro. Love it so will need to take the advanced exam.
Keep in mind that the advanced exam will be basically useless with any DJI model as the aircraft needs to be self declared SAFE certified by the manufacturer to qualify under the advanced certificate. The Phantom 4 (nor any model from Dji) are certified nor are they likely ever to be.

We hold a national standing SFOC for complex operations in Canada. Our pilots have also passed the online TC advanced exam. The exam knowledge base is clearly stated in "Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems" published by Transport Canada. If you are planning to take the exams, it is unlikely that you will pass unless you have a very thorough knowledge of air law, flight procedures, communications, etc. There is almost nothing in the exam that relates to "flying a drone" so be prepared, enrol in an accredited flight school, do your ground school and learn how to fly safely and legally.

"However at this point it's all speculation. " Bingo!

Keep in mind that the advanced exam will be basically useless with any DJI model as the aircraft needs to be self declared SAFE certified by the manufacturer to qualify under the advanced certificate. The Phantom 4 (nor any model from Dji) are certified nor are they likely ever to be.
I have been in touch with Dji and Mir Aviation who work with Transport Canada. The info coming out is Dji will certify Phantom pro 4 and up and Mavic Pro and up.

I have been in touch with Dji and Mir Aviation who work with Transport Canada. The info coming out is Dji will certify Phantom pro 4 and up and Mavic Pro and up.
I hope they do. There's alot of conflicting info on whether DJI will or not. Time will tell..

What "information" ? Exactly?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers