DJI Go app

Reaction score
Full disclosure: these are pre-purchase questions - I would rather not ask DJI these questions and receive a standard SALES PITCH "YES" answer when their history and honesty is questionable at best, after researching here, RCgroups, YouTube and Amazon/BestBuy reviews of their products.

Background: I'm looking at the P3P to add to my photo gear set. I'm in the desert, shoot hobby and some commercial/pro stuff.

DJI Go app:

1. Can this software be used in conditions where NO CELLULAR connection is available? I regularly encounter areas in the northeast that have ZERO cellular connection (dead zones) and need to know if this machine, with the accompanying DJI Go app software, will function and operate in these cellular dead zones?

2. I downloaded the DJI Go app onto my iPad Pro- The 1st thing I noticed is that this software wants to "phone home" after selecting the machine. If this is the case, how can this machine be used in remote locations WITHOUT cellular services?

You can use it without cellular service. You just won't get a live map view with the AC's location. Since the quad uses GPS, it can still return to the home point and you will still fly FPV and "see" where you are going.

As I understand, when you first launch DJI Go, there is an activation needed on first run. Otherwise, you are good on subsequent runs. It will always see if there is a connection to download maps. But it will fly without them. For example, I use my iPad mini to control at times without a network (its wifi only).

I assume the app probably can cache the maps to some extent, but not sure how much is actually stored.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BoydBros
It works just fine with no cellular connection. If you know that you are going to be flying in an area with no coverage (or if you just don't want to use it), open the app somewhere that you do hav coverage and download the map. Make sure that map cache is on and scroll the map to your flight location and zoom in as far as you need to so that you have the rsolution that you want then close the app. When you get to the flying location and open the app, your map should be there. Even without a map, the app will still show your flight tracks relative to he ho,e point, just not overlaid on any map.

Reactions: BoydBros
It works just fine with no cellular connection. If you know that you are going to be flying in an area with no coverage (or if you just don't want to use it), open the app somewhere that you do hav coverage and download the map. Make sure that map cache is on and scroll the map to your flight location and zoom in as far as you need to so that you have the rsolution that you want then close the app. When you get to the flying location and open the app, your map should be there. Even without a map, the app will still show your flight tracks relative to he ho,e point, just not overlaid on any map.

Thanks Richard ... can the DJI Go app store/cache multiple maps?

I believe it only stores the one loaded when you shut it down. It doesn't ask for any map name, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20