DJI Go App Incompatible With iPhone 5c?

Reaction score
Folks,

I recently acquired a P3S. My smart device is an iPhone 5C, with iOS software version 10.3.3. People HERE and HERE claim they've successfully used their iPhone 5C to fly their P3S. The P3S's quick start guide HERE claims it supports iOS 8.0 and later. Last night, I tried to download DJI Go from the App Store. No dice though. A message popped up saying, "this device is incompatible with the app." Can anyone explain this? How are other folks using it on their iPhone 5C, but I can't seem to download it? If the User Guide says 8.0 and later, I would assume my 10.3.3 version should work. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Folks,

I recently acquired a P3S. My smart device is an iPhone 5C, with iOS software version 10.3.3. People HERE and HERE claim they've successfully used their iPhone 5C to fly their P3S. The P3S's quick start guide HERE claims it supports iOS 8.0 and later. Last night, I tried to download DJI Go from the App Store. No dice though. A message popped up saying, "this device is incompatible with the app." Can anyone explain this? How are other folks using it on their iPhone 5C, but I can't seem to download it? If the User Guide says 8.0 and later, I would assume my 10.3.3 version should work. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
It has been something like 2.5 years since an iPhone 5 generation (A6) device has been compatible with the latest versions of the GO app. Per DJI’s spec page, the App Store, and this list which we regularly reference, the 5s generation is the oldest compatible device. Even so, I’d recommend something higher spec’d than a 5s for the best experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
It has been something like 2.5 years since an iPhone 5 generation (A6) device has been compatible with the latest versions of the GO app. Per DJI’s spec page, the App Store, and this list which we regularly reference, the 5s generation is the oldest compatible device. Even so, I’d recommend something higher spec’d than a 5s for the best experience.
How does that explain other folks using the 5c successfully? Is that because they have an older version of the app?

Is it possible that my Kindle Fire HDX 7 might work?

Update, in case anyone else strolls here one day, in a similar situation...
I was able to load the app on my old Kindle Fire HDX 7, OS 4.5.5.3.
I first went HERE to learn about sideloading an app, and installing the ES File Explorer app on my Kindle. Then I followed instructions HERE and downloaded on old version of DJI Go to my PC. I then connected my Kindle to the PC with the USB cable and transferred the downloaded APK file to my Kindle internal storage. On the Kindle, with the ES File Explorer app, I browsed to the APK file. Tap it and install. Done. It opened up on my Kindle, like I hoped.

Note...I downloaded the oldest DJI Go version from October 2016. The newest version didn't work. It's possible though, that something in between might work, but I didn't try any since my Kindle is old, and I just defaulted to the oldest DJI Go version for simplicity.

I'll report back once I've sync'd it with the drone.

Reactions: Oso
Update, in case anyone else strolls here one day, in a similar situation...
I was able to load the app on my old Kindle Fire HDX 7, OS 4.5.5.3.
I first went HERE to learn about sideloading an app, and installing the ES File Explorer app on my Kindle. Then I followed instructions HERE and downloaded on old version of DJI Go to my PC. I then connected my Kindle to the PC with the USB cable and transferred the downloaded APK file to my Kindle internal storage. On the Kindle, with the ES File Explorer app, I browsed to the APK file. Tap it and install. Done. It opened up on my Kindle, like I hoped.

Note...I downloaded the oldest DJI Go version from October 2016. The newest version didn't work. It's possible though, that something in between might work, but I didn't try any since my Kindle is old, and I just defaulted to the oldest DJI Go version for simplicity.

I'll report back once I've sync'd it with the drone.
Sideloading usually scares people away when we explain it here on the forum, but you jumped right in yourself and nailed it. Nice. :)

Reactions: JoBe and m_ridzon
My Kindle does not have GPS. Can I simply set my iPhone as a HotSpot and tether the Kindle to it, for GPS?

Not sure why your tablet needs GPS, not needed for normal flying.

Rod

Not sure why your tablet needs GPS, not needed for normal flying.
I'm new to this, and I blindly read the Owner's manual. It talks about using GPS in P-mode, which is supposedly preferred. It also said Return To Home features needed GPS. So I assume GPS is needed, correct?

I'm new to this, and I blindly read the Owner's manual. It talks about using GPS in P-mode, which is supposedly preferred. It also said Return To Home features needed GPS. So I assume GPS is needed, correct?
GPS for those features is built in to your P3S which has it's own GPS receiver. Separately, GPS in your mobile device can be used for optional features such as follow me or to change the home point to your current location after it is set automatically on launch with your P3's GPS.

My Kindle does not have GPS. Can I simply set my iPhone as a HotSpot and tether the Kindle to it, for GPS?
FYI that tethering an iPhone does not share GPS data.

Last edited:
But this person HERE said they tethered a tablet to their Samsung WIFI to get Maps. What's going on in their scenario? Is the Samsung's cellular data enabling the tablet to read Map location? Or is that result of the Samsung's GPS?

When your tablet is connected to your remote and Phantom, the GPS position is known, but you won't see any map data (detail). That information needs an internet connection.

If you want this map information and your are not going to have cellular data. Then cache the area (maps in advance)
How do you cache the maps in DJI GO? ;)

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and m_ridzon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic