DJI Go 4 software glitch causes RTH altitude increase above limits

Because the screen data shown in the video I posted in post #1 does not show that the aircraft is perceiving any obstacle in any direction, as the aircraft rises uncommanded from 398 to 538 feet.
As I said before.... The screen will only show you obstacles from the front, side, and rear sensors. Not bottom. There is no on screen alert for bottom sensing. The bottom sensors are only used for VPS, automated OA for RTH (to go over objects), and landing.

Reactions: Bigbells
As I said before.... The screen will only show you obstacles from the front, side, and rear sensors. Not bottom. There is no on screen alert for bottom sensing. The bottom sensors are only used for VPS, automated OA for RTH (to go over objects), and landing.
I have OA disabled for RTH.

The screen does show downward sensing anytime an object, including the ground, is within about 30 feet, when there's sufficient light for the vision sensors to work. The distance from the object is shown via the VPS readout. So you must be referring to the ultrasonic sensors, right?

You put more stock in relayed info from DJI personnel than I do, but you shouldn't be perplexed that there are still questions.

Oh well, whenever DJI addresses the issue, we STILL are likely to not know what the problem was.

Last edited:
I have OA disabled for RTH.

The screen does show downward sensing anytime an object, including the ground, is within about 30 feet, when there's sufficient light for the vision sensors to work. The distance from the object is shown via the VPS readout. So you must be referring to the ultrasonic sensors, right?

You put more stock in relayed info from DJI personnel than I do, but you shouldn't be perplexed that there are still questions.

Oh well, whenever DJI addresses the issue, we STILL are likely to not know what the problem was.
It doesn't matter if you have OA disabled or not. DJI had me test that. The bug ignores whether or not you have OA enabled.

End of the day, DJI knows the cause and is working to fix it. Beating a dead horse at this point.

That sure sounded logical, until I checked my settings and saw that I have max altitude set at 120 meters. So, that doesn't explain why my bird elevates to over 500' during RTH.
The bug also causes it to ascend past your max altitude setting, if you were above your RTH setting elevation. Raise your RTH setting to well above the highest elevation you intend to fly.

The bug also causes it to ascend past your max altitude setting, if you were above your RTH setting elevation. Raise your RTH setting to well above the highest elevation you intend to fly.
Just for the heck of it, I set my RTH the same as my max altitude, at 120 meters. I didn't test it today, even though I flew, because the weather was too poor to make me feel like wandering far enough away from home to lose signal. No visibility in the AM, wind in the PM.

Just for the heck of it, I set my RTH the same as my max altitude, at 120 meters. I didn't test it today, even though I flew, because the weather was too poor to make me feel like wandering far enough away from home to lose signal. No visibility in the AM, wind in the PM.
Based upon my understanding of the bug, that should prevent it from occurring, because the max altitude setting will prevent the drone from ever flying above your RTH altitude, which is what triggers the bug.

Captioned screen video from this morning's flight shows the problem. This has happened at least 2 times previously.
..BB, its been awhile since you've made this post, I'm wondering if you'd mind posting the DJIFlightRecord*.txt file, or you could
email it to me at the following email address, thx in advance..
VaData(at)YaHoo(dot)com
IIIDaemon

..BB, its been awhile since you've made this post, I'm wondering if you'd mind posting the DJIFlightRecord*.txt file, or you could
email it to me at the following email address, thx in advance..
VaData(at)YaHoo(dot)com
IIIDaemon
The flight is in my flight records but I don't know where to find the .txt file for downloading or emailing from my Android device. If you can tell me, or point me to a set of clear instructions, I'd be happy to give it a try.

The flight is in my flight records but I don't know where to find the .txt file for downloading or emailing from my Android device. If you can tell me, or point me to a set of clear instructions, I'd be happy to give it a try.
...BB, the flight-log file on an Android device is in the a sub-directory created by the DJI-Go prog, on mine, its:

DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord/DJIFlightRecord*.txt
...also another good resource is Healthy-Drones, using that service you can Auto-Upload your flight logs for further trend analysis or prev. maintenance, they have a free-acct and of course paid versions of the service.. I have no vested interest in the HD so I can tell you without any reservations it is currently the best of its kind out there, to fly without it is essentially flying blind.. If you're Excel and/or DashWare savvy you could also use a FlightLog converter called FlightLog to CSV Converter ( [TOOL][WIN] Offline TXT FlightRecord to CSV Converter ) to generate your own database and/or graphical representations of your flight data.. clear skies and thx for your help...
IIIDaemon

also another good resource is Healthy-Drones, using that service you can Auto-Upload your flight logs for further trend analysis or prev. maintenance
The program is going to have to wait until I have the patience to deal with it again. I get "please enter valid token" and can't find a way to access the files, which HealthyDrones says are already uploaded and synced.

I sent a link to the file on Healthy Drones, Daemon. Then I sent a new link, with CSV and KML downloads permitted. I still can't find a .txt file.

...BB, the flight-log file on an Android device is in the a sub-directory created by the DJI-Go prog, on mine, its:

DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord/DJIFlightRecord*.txt
...also another good resource is Healthy-Drones, using that service you can Auto-Upload your flight logs for further trend analysis or prev. maintenance, they have a free-acct and of course paid versions of the service.. I have no vested interest in the HD so I can tell you without any reservations it is currently the best of its kind out there, to fly without it is essentially flying blind.. If you're Excel and/or DashWare savvy you could also use a FlightLog converter called FlightLog to CSV Converter ( [TOOL][WIN] Offline TXT FlightRecord to CSV Converter ) to generate your own database and/or graphical representations of your flight data.. clear skies and thx for your help...
IIIDaemon
Healthydrones is awful for trying to figure out stuff like this. Plus they collect data on their users flights etc. I recommend people avoid HD.

You can get a much better look at what went wrong uploading your txt file to here
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/

Healthydrones is awful for trying to figure out stuff like this. Plus they collect data on their users flights etc. I recommend people avoid HD.

You can get a much better look at what went wrong uploading your txt file to here
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
Yes, the collection of personal data by HD bothers me, too. However, PhantomHelp is also collecting all your data. Once your file is uploaded, they can do anything they want with it, and there is no way, that I know of, for you to delete the uploaded file, after analysis. However, when you have crashed, or need answers, it's probably worth the informed risk.

Yes, the collection of personal data by HD bothers me, too. However, PhantomHelp is also collecting all your data. Once your file is uploaded, they can do anything they want with it, and there is no way, that I know of, for you to delete the uploaded file, after analysis. However, when you have crashed, or need answers, it's probably worth the informed risk.
PhantomHelp doesn't actively do anything with your data.

Healthydrones does. HealthyDrones.com - Privacy Policy

Hi, I'm the HealthyDrones founder. We take user privacy very seriously. Your data remains private and is not shared or sold (it is shared only if you choose to share a flight using the sharing function). Please read our entire privacy policy, specifically "HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?" and "HOW DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION?" which will hopefully clarify and remove any confusion.

Hi, I'm the HealthyDrones founder. We take user privacy very seriously. Your data remains private and is not shared or sold (it is shared only if you choose to share a flight using the sharing function). Please read our entire privacy policy, specifically "HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?" and "HOW DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION?" which will hopefully clarify and remove any confusion.
My issue is a few lines in your privacy policy.

- we may collect and store flight information including: flight duration, location, speed and altitude, and images captured during the flight.

You're collecting and storing images captured during flight? That's pretty invasive.

- We may use the information we collect for the various purposes described below:
  • obtain information about users for marketing and market research purposes;
Can we opt out of that?

Lastly, and this one REALLY is just as invasive as the images one:
  • detect, investigate and/or prevent fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activity;
I don't even know what to say to that, other than no thanks. It's one thing if you are forced to give up info via subpoena, but to actively try to detect and seek out such activities? So the guy flying outside of VLOS could be in trouble for using your site. Etc and so on.

Thank you for clarifying that aspect. A closer reading confirms your statement:

"With Your Consent. We may share your information in other circumstances with your consent. Your consent to share your content and information is assumed when you post or share content or information to our website. Flight information is treated as private, unless you choose to share it. Your consent to share flight information is assumed when you use the sharing feature, or when you share a direct link to a flight page."

Reactions: EranSteiner

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie