DJI Go 4 software glitch causes RTH altitude increase above limits

DJI said it's the drone thinking it has to climb over an obstacle falsely. It's nothing to do with meters vs feet. A DJI rep on RCG had me do some tests and upload my dat files. It helped them determine the problem.

Also RTH height preset is ALWAYS in meters. Even if you select imperial measurements. Same goes for max distance and altitude settings.
Sakumar's post had nothing to do with meters. You were replying to the wrong post. Sakumar's post actually makes sense, relating to possibly not handling negative numbers correctly. Bigbells is the poster mistakenly thinking it was related to meters v. feet.

I'll have to give that a try, F3, setting both the maximum flight altitude and the RTH altitude as 0 meters, the way you've indicated in your post.
No it only shows 0 because I wasn't connected to the craft. If I connect my altitude max is set to 500 and RTH I set based on what is around me. (Always set higher than objects)

Sakumar's post had nothing to do with meters. You were replying to the wrong post. Sakumar's post actually makes sense, relating to possibly not handling negative numbers correctly. Bigbells is the poster mistakenly thinking it was related to meters v. feet.
Yea I quoted wrong post haha.

Be afraid... be very afraid.

Or at least aware

690924330f04b691d188855e8bb648c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Be afraid... be very afraid.

Or at least aware

690924330f04b691d188855e8bb648c8.jpg

Except the DJI GO 4 app has absolutely no way of measuring AGL! The FAA 400 foot height limit is Above Ground Level. They don't care what your height above your launch site is when you are flying up a hillside! Conversely, if you are flying over descending ground level below your launch site, you may have to enter into negative values to remain under 400 feet AGL below the aircraft! You cannot rely upon the displayed elevation in the app to remain in compliance with the FAA 400 foot AGL. As the Pilot in Command, you must know the topography of the area you are flying over and stay within 400 feet above the ground below it, and not your launch site!

Exactly, but my focus was more on the we are not liable if you change this setting part.

Good point. Pretty much a contract of adhesion entered into under duress, if you ask me! You need to fly up a hill more than 400 feet higher than your launch point with your new $1500+ investment, so you have to agree that DJI is not responsible, in any way, even though you have no understanding of what you are agreeing to, and that DJI's app does not display AGL! :eek:

As bigbells admitted, it rose past 400' because the RTH was set to '164' which in meters is 538 feet; very simple explanation, no bug in software just wrong setting in app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Rumrunnner's issue may have been unrelated to Bigbells which had to do with an incorrect RTH setting.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
It is an acknowledged bug. It has nothing to do with an incorrect RTH setting. If you are flying above the height set in RTH, it keeps ascending before it returns home.

Last edited:
It is an acknowledged bug. It has nothing to do with an incorrect RTH setting. If you are flying above the height set in RTH, it ascends to the highest ceiling set in the app (up to 500m) before it returns home.
That sure sounded logical, until I checked my settings and saw that I have max altitude set at 120 meters. So, that doesn't explain why my bird elevates to over 500' during RTH.

That sure sounded logical, until I checked my settings and saw that I have max altitude set at 120 meters. So, that doesn't explain why my bird elevates to over 500' during RTH.
It does. As stated. It's a known bug. The craft will climb during RTH and will exceed/ignore both your RTH set height and will also exceed the max limit height you may have set. DJI is working to fix it.

It does. As stated. It's a known bug. The craft will climb during RTH and will exceed/ignore both your RTH set height and will also exceed the max limit height you may have set. DJI is working to fix it.
Well, that's different than what GadgetGuy said. He said that it would rise to the maximum altitude setting entered by the user.

You also said previously that it had to do with object avoidance, and there's no indication that's true.

A lot of sure-sounding answers all over the map, but they conflict with each other and can't all be true.

The fact that DJI is aware that there's a bug doesn't mean that they know WHY there's a bug.

Last edited:
Well, that's different than what GadgetGuy said. He said that it would rise to the maximum altitude setting entered by the user.

You also said previously that it had to do with object avoidance, and there's no indication that's true.

A lot of sure-sounding answers all over the map, but they conflict with each other and can't all be true.

The fact that DJI is aware that there's a bug doesn't mean that they know WHY there's a bug.
DJI knows why there is a bug. It's caused by the software thinking that the bottom sensors are telling it go to up over an object. This is what was told to me by a DJI rep, passed on by the DJI engineers. I assisted them in testing a few scenarios and providing DAT files to help nail the problem down. I'm not sure why you think there is "no indication that's true" regarding the OA? I've already posted all of this information in the thread multiple times. I am unsure why confusion remains on the issue. The bug occurs in very specific RTH situations, and ignores the preset RTH height as well as max flight height.

I'm not sure why you think there is "no indication that's true" regarding the OA?
Because the screen data shown in the video I posted in post #1 does not show that the aircraft is perceiving any obstacle in any direction, as the aircraft rises uncommanded from 398 to 538 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20