DJI Go 4 App Freezes During Flight

Reaction score
I am flying a Phantom 4 Pro using an iPad mini 4 with cellular service.
I have the most recent version of the DJI Go 4 app (4.2.14) on my iPad, and the iPad is updated to the most recent version of iOS.

The last 2 sessions I have flown, I have had the app lock up and the camera view freeze.
Sometimes I could fly the Phantom with the control sticks, but the image and read outs on the iPad would not change. The only way I could remedy the problem during flight was to quit the DJI Go 4 app and then re-start the app. A somewhat scary proposition in mid-flight.

Yesterday this freezing issue happened a couple of times during each flight. (Yes I kept flying, both because of an assignment and secondly to test). I have 2 Phantorm 4 Pros, and it happened with each one of them. The furthest distant I was flying yesterday was around 1200 feet. The freezing even happened on a flight where the drone was within 200 feet. There were some buildings and trees but no big obstructions. I was flying around a suburban apartment complex on an assignment. It's possible there was some radio interference due to wifi signals, but I suspect that it's an iPad app locking up problem.

On one flight I ended up flying back with no active camera feed, and then having an assistant catch the Phantom, followed by me powering it down.

I have uploaded flight data to airdata.com and it's showing green for the Minor Signal Errors section.

I really believe this is not a signal transmission issue, because it has occurred at short distances in an open area.

I somehow think it's an iPad app issue. I am trying deleting the app so that it will not have as much data connected to it, and I am re-installing it. I will test fly later today and see if that makes a difference.

Questions:

Is there anyone else having this problem?
What potential solutions can people suggest?

Thanks in advance.

GB

Have you tried changing the frequencies from 2.4 to 5.8? I would also try to borrow an iPad Pro from someone and see if that changes the freeze-ups.

Remove any unnecessary apps from the iPad mini 4, clear the cache, turn on airplane mode.

Thanks for the advice.

I deleted the DJI Go 4 app from the iPad and then reinstalled it from the App Store.This has the effect of clearing extraneous data that is in the app, kind of like clearing the cache.

When I re-installed the app I had to login to DJI and re-set several preferences in the app. Which takes time.

I made a 17 minute test flight today and did not have one freeze. So fingers crossed, the problem may be remedied. I'm thinking that periodically it may be a good practice to re-install the app say, every 20 flights.

In terms of 2.8GHz vs 5.2GHz, that haven't made a difference for my situation.

The last 2 sessions I have flown, I have had the app lock up and the camera view freeze.

Don't know if you found a long-term solution to your problem but, which iPad and OS are you using? Since the same problem happened to two of the same Phantom models, I'm inclined to think it's related to the iPad and/or cable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl