DJI GO 4.0.5 NOTORIOUSLY UNSTABLE

Samsung may be behind a lot of why Android is so bad with DJI GO.
Nonsense.

DJI GO is unusable on any Android tablet running Nougat. The problem is DJI and the lousy software development, nothing else.

If you haven't developed apps for both Android and iOS, especially if you are not familiar with software or programming at all, this is hard to understand. Android has a particular app "lifecycle" and the way the Android system manages resources and application through various states (foreground and interactive, background, dormant, etc.). These "phases" of app state require action on the part of the app to maintain state. Failing to do so can result in the app coming back to the foreground, and important data that was in variables and other memory storage is lost.

iOS operates differently. So, if you haven't designed an app around the Android lifecycle from the very start, its extremely error/bug prone to take a complex app with intricate logic, variable, etc. and shoehorn it into the Android run-time model.

BTW, same thing occurs often going the other way -- develop first on Android, then port over to iOS. However, in my opinion this is an easier direction to go.

The Android model has trade-offs. It offers superior resource management over iOS -- IF the programmer understands Android run-time and programs to it, even exploiting it.

This is no shortcoming of Android. This is run-of-the-mill software stuff. Every platform and operating environment has its own unique requirements.

Hence, the "best practice" of implementing cross-platform applications using an Abstraction Layer, as I mentioned in a previous posting.

I disagree. Samsung adds to what Google has made and why their rollouts are so slow too. Why do you need Google, Samsung, and the Carriers messaging systems included in one OS? Samsung has their S-Health incorporated in their phones that do the heartbeat, walking, and blood oxygen stuff, but if you noticed the recent Samsung update to it, you must approve their 24/7 snooping of the S-Health app and storage of your data on their servers that runs in the background else you cannot run it nor use those features. They've added their own bloat to the system, and then comes along the Carrier later who decides to add their own texting and messaging and billing on top of the OS. So you have three places who have already added to the basic OS - and none of it you can get rid of unless you root it back to Android alone.

At least Apple controls how much bloat can be added and running in the background, and why their batteries can last far longer where my Androids die in a half day without the need for a Mophie battery case to keep them running while all the Android appware runs and relaunches 24/7. Why do I have some 81 apps needing access to my camera in Android? It really is a spyware and leeching loaded system with far too much access by app makers, redundant factory apps, and the proof is their batteries dying too soon with them is enough. My iPad can still show 100% full after a day of idling, but the Android is half dead in a day even without me bothering it.

But yes, DJI needs to give a good swift kick to their software writer's butts. Okay, include their firmware writers too. Their engineers and designers might be evolutionary to the drone world, but they sure can screw it all up with "We got a new software or firmware update!" and then the problems ensue.

I disagree. Samsung adds to what Google has made and why their rollouts are so slow too. Why do you need Google, Samsung, and the Carriers messaging systems included in one OS?
This is a pointless argument. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

As a developer that has written apps for both platforms, the problem is the DJI application, not the Android operating environment and vendor bloat. There are plenty of apps -- resource intensive apps -- written properly that run well on any Android device, regardless of bloat.

You simply have some bigotry regarding Android for some reason, but your criticisms are not based on factual knowledge of the two platforms -- just bad experiences with apps written for iOS and then poorly ported to Android.

There are plenty of apps that were developed first on Android that run flawlessly there, but the iOS port is full of bugs and performance issues.

The run-time models are vastly different between the two platforms. If this is not properly accounted for in a porting or parallel development plan, the platform with the ignoramuses developing for it will have problems.

Its definitely the app that is broken. Four guys in our club with P4's, me included, we all have poor signal, breakup, green and multicolored lines on the devices. I have the latest Moto G4, and Google Nexus 7 (supported device apparently, or it was), others have Samsung Galaxy 6 (this has the best signal of the bunch so the Samsung red herring doesn't wash), Ipad Mini 3 & 4, and we all have issues since the forced Go4 'upgrade'. The app is broken for all of us.....

Thankfully Litchi still works.

The same with my Huawei MediaPad 2. I asked Zendesk "support" for help (it's probably some guy from a faraway chinese village, who has never seen a drone) and they sent me an "allowed devices" list - mainly last decade's mobile phones.
"Android Version v4.1.0.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, LG V20, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1."
...kill me.

The video breakup problem I solved for me on iOS by going into the Fred settings and choosing manual,picking an unused channel (this is not the fix) then picking a lower feed bandwidth (this IS the fix).

The feed may not look as good but it won't effect your recordings or pictures, just your feed.

It seems that (again in my case) that DJI has upped the amount of video feed data being sent to your tablet or phone thru the US. cable and that's what is breaking up the picture.

Another thing that DJI has removed is the Hardware Decoding option that appeared under general settings. This helped with video breakup.

The video breakup problem I solved for me on iOS by going into the Fred settings and choosing manual,picking an unused channel (this is not the fix) then picking a lower feed bandwidth (this IS the fix).

The feed may not look as good but it won't effect your recordings or pictures, just your feed.

It seems that (again in my case) that DJI has upped the amount of video feed data being sent to your tablet or phone thru the US. cable and that's what is breaking up the picture.

Another thing that DJI has removed is the Hardware Decoding option that appeared under general settings. This helped with video breakup.
The problem is deeper. DJI GO 4 reports "aircraft not disconnected", black screen, no avionics, nothing. JR

Another total crash for me last night. Rebooted the App and got it back from 500 feet out. Lame, just lame and not what I signed up for tbo..... No more DJI for me till they come good on this crap...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic