DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

I really can't believe I am reading all this nonsense!
And I still can't believe that people in the USA aren't allowed to fly in the national parks their tax dollars pay for!
People need to stand up to all this NOW before it is too late!!!
10,000 people in the USA get killed by guns each year and yet nobody does anything and yet the humble hobby drone is seen as pure evil............
There needs to be a drone lobby or something!

That's because the dead don't complain about privacy and rights.

Read the Dji announcement: DJI Forum|DJI Introduces New Geofencing System For Its Drones
They are trying to (IMO) stay ahead of people's outcry that we be more strictly regulated. I think this is a positive step by Dji.
I guess I can understand even if I'm not fully happy. I have only had mine for a short time and already I feel that I am being watched by a disapproving public that hears about near misses and long range flights from unknown locations. If this will help the public more good than bad, its probably better.

Reactions: Dounin Front
@JoBe - I do agree with you to some degree. Freedoms are lost a little at a time and we barely notice until we reflect back. Also, those who follow rules will still follow these new rules, and those who dont follow rules will not. Same as everything else. Regardless, IMHO this should not be a political discussion so let's try to not be so heavy.

For me personally, I am very sensitive to the public perception of "drone" operators. Though I also am not thrilled with needing to provide personal data, in this case it feels to me like a small price to pay to help show the public that our hobby is just that - a hobby. Not something evil.
I agree.

I have been reading this forum for about a month but only joined recently. I have seen your name so many times, and you always seem to be diplomatic and helpful with direct information or links to information.

Have you ever thought about being a moderator?

I agree.

I have been reading this forum for about a month but only joined recently. I have seen your name so many times, and you always seem to be diplomatic and helpful with direct information or links to information.

Have you ever thought about being a moderator?
Thank you @JoBe for the kind words. You are actually the 4th person to ask me about being a moderator.

Before retiring from the tech industry, I did spend 20 years managing teams around the world. I've learned to be sensitive to different opinions and cultural beliefs as I have spent a great deal of time outside of the US.
That part is fine for a moderator, but I dont have near enough experience in this industry or this platform to add enough knowledge to the community. There are many regulars on the forum much more qualified and experienced.

Cheers!

Thank you @JoBe for the kind words. You are actually the 4th person to ask me about being a moderator.

Before retiring from the tech industry, I did spend 20 years managing teams around the world. I've learned to be sensitive to different opinions and cultural beliefs as I have spent a great deal of time outside of the US.
That part is fine for a moderator, but I dont have near enough experience in this industry or this platform to add enough knowledge to the community. There are many regulars on the forum much more qualified and experienced.

Cheers!
You should still think about. You'd be a good one.

Can anyone tell me why airmap.io now shows a TFR as far as 37 mile radius from White House? I thought it was 15 miles.

The DC area has a flight restricted zone that is 15.5 miles centered around Reagan airport and also has TFR that extends out another 20 mile radius. The tfr has always been there but never enforced through dji no fly zone. It looks like once they switch to air map the no fly radius is going to expand to include the tfr Around DC. I live right at the edge of the current 15 mile no fly zone and I'm going to be screwed come December. I'm going to have to drive 20 miles plus just to fly. Looks like I'll be selling my phantom 3. Thank god I still have the phantom 1 &2.

I think it's excellent news, It will keep people from flying where they have no business to be, and will make them accountable if they really want to fly there and something happens. At least it will force us to fly more responsibly. Sure it's going to upset those who think the sky belong to them... The way I see it is that DJI just reopened the NFZ. With conditions ok, but to me it's seems a very sensible improvement.

Reactions: MADrone
...It will keep people from flying where they have no business to be

Conversely, it would be a positive if DJI would do more to allow people to fly where they actually have business to fly. With their current firmware implementation and flight model they have had to place limits ("max height relative to homepoint" in particular) as a means to convey a "safety for all" message. If the landscape were flat everywhere, then that approach works. Not rocket science (no pun intended).

I think it's excellent news, It will keep people from flying where they have no business to be, and will make them accountable if they really want to fly there and something happens. At least it will force us to fly more responsibly. Sure it's going to upset those who think the sky belong to them... The way I see it is that DJI just reopened the NFZ. With conditions ok, but to me it's seems a very sensible improvement.

How can it be sensible when any Tom, **** or Harry can create their own no fly zones?
Given the cost of a DJI I would guess there tend to be a larger percentage of responsible fliers than with some of the cheaper toy drones.
We have very few freedoms left. We shouldn't give them up to a handful of ignorant politicians who have been stirred up by the media!

The DC area has a flight restricted zone that is 15.5 miles centered around Reagan airport and also has TFR that extends out another 20 mile radius. The tfr has always been there but never enforced through dji no fly zone. It looks like once they switch to air map the no fly radius is going to expand to include the tfr Around DC. I live right at the edge of the current 15 mile no fly zone and I'm going to be screwed come December. I'm going to have to drive 20 miles plus just to fly. Looks like I'll be selling my phantom 3. Thank god I still have the phantom 1 &2.
... this will be a determining factor for myself as well. I'm approx 40 miles away from DC and includes me in the tfr. If they are including it in the NFZ, then I may just spend the cash on another brand.
Thus will be ruining a perfectly good (legit for years)MD RC club flight locations

Has anyone actually taken the time to read the FAQ's on the NoFlyZone website? Reading these gives a person the notion that they're not sure if the whole idea is even going to work.

I did get a chuckle out of reading that all you have to do is email them the property address and they'll block it without any proof of ownership, I see this working out really well. Let's see.....what's the address of the local RC club field? The only enforcement against it is the website's TOS. If you want to block a second or more address' then you have to provide some form of proof such as a utility bill. Don't think that that's rock solid proof of ownership either.
FAQ question..."How high does my no fly zone go?" Websites answer in short....we don't know. Another question...can a renter sign up. Answer in short....sure, we're not going to stop you and we're not going to give out legal advice on whether you can or not.
Anyhozzz....it's pretty amusing but here's a couple of things that I got after reading through them. One question was about having NFZ over your house but you want to fly your own drone over it. Along those lines another FAQ about having permission to fly near a NFZ airfield and such but the NFZ won't allow you. They stated that they will send instructions on how to remove that NFZ from your drone. This tells me that it's most likely possible to take it out of your software and it most likely that it won't take long for it to become public.
Also this whole signup to the site is free for now. Participants will have to register every year. I'm guessing that after they get all these free registries eventually they're going to charge for the service and you'll see a huge decline in person property NFZ's.

It's sad. I've seen this in the gun industry. 1 idiot takes a gun and shoots up a place and politicians want to take all guns from everyone till they can figure it out. At which they never do. Or try to restrict usage by some new technology like IR wristbands needed for a gun to shoot, ie geofencing . All this does is frustrate illegitimate people in the activity. It doesn't do anything to stop those with bad intentions.

( not hijacking the thread with guns, but I have seen this in other industries)

I've grown up flying line controlled planes on military bases with my dad in the 70's, flown RC planes at private runways ( that was next to a powerplant) just up to a few yrs ago.... and now because airmap extends a TFR and my be treated as a NFZ (40 miles from White House / National Airport not 15 miles). I may not not be able to lift off in my own back yard . Aaaagh. (Rant over)

It's my guess a motivated hacker will get around all this nonsense very soon.
He better have a pocket full of money and a cadre of lawyers if he gets nailed-- the fines they are considering will buy about 2 dozen P3's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.