DJI F550 Batteries

I just completed my F550 but can't fly yet since it came with a defective ESC and I'm waiting on a replacement. In the meantime, can anyone tell me what components require a separate BEC when running a 4S battery? I have Naza V2, iosd-mini, Zenmuse H3-2D and finally an Immersionrc 600 TX which says it can handle a 4S battery.

Secondly, if I want to use both 3S and 4S batteries, I assume that I only need to go into the Naza Assistant and change the battery type there before swapping batteries? I purchased a new 6600mAH 3S battery but a friend just gave me a good 4S so would like to try both.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

lgeist said:
I just completed my F550 but can't fly yet since it came with a defective ESC and I'm waiting on a replacement. In the meantime, can anyone tell me what components require a separate BEC when running a 4S battery? I have Naza V2, iosd-mini, Zenmuse H3-2D and finally an Immersionrc 600 TX which says it can handle a 4S battery.

Secondly, if I want to use both 3S and 4S batteries, I assume that I only need to go into the Naza Assistant and change the battery type there before swapping batteries? I purchased a new 6600mAH 3S battery but a friend just gave me a good 4S so would like to try both.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

You probably won't need a 12v BEC unless you add lights or other things that specify no more than that input voltage. However, you'll want to make sure your motors and ESC's are all rated for 4S too, not all are.

Thanks, it looks like my ESC's are good for 4S. Since I haven't received my Zenmuse yet (back-ordered) I wasn't sure about the gimbal. And speaking of the Zenmuse H3-2D, I called Atlanta Hobby today to cancel the back-order because I found one elsewhere. They cautioned me to make sure that if it's going on the F550, to make sure I get the Zenmuse made for the Phantom 1, not the Phantom 2. Any idea what the differences are? Apparently the one I need (according to Atlanta Hobby) is back-ordered everywhere.

Thanks again!

lgeist said:
Thanks, it looks like my ESC's are good for 4S. Since I haven't received my Zenmuse yet (back-ordered) I wasn't sure about the gimbal. And speaking of the Zenmuse H3-2D, I called Atlanta Hobby today to cancel the back-order because I found one elsewhere. They cautioned me to make sure that if it's going on the F550, to make sure I get the Zenmuse made for the Phantom 1, not the Phantom 2. Any idea what the differences are? Apparently the one I need (according to Atlanta Hobby) is back-ordered everywhere.

Thanks again!

I think the one you need includes the GCU module, which isn't necessary in Phantoms.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the voltage input requirements/limits are for the Zenmuse/GCU, so double-check that before connecting to a 4S. I'm pretty sure I've seen it used on 4S 550's before, and the PMU probably steps the voltage down for it anyway, so I'm 99% sure you'll be fine...just not 100% ;)

The DJI gimbal and GCU is good for 2S- 6S.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JTheed said:
I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest..

Finally received the BEC and the day I decided to test flight times, I should have stayed in bed. The F550 weighs in at 2472 grams loaded. I was at around 8 mins and 45 secs when it started coming down and I was not ready for it as I thought I had at least 3 minutes more to play with. My error in not making sure the battery was fully charged.

Here's a short video of what happened. I hit full throttle and it ALMOST made it out but....
http://youtu.be/JUbaRL5DBEI

Broke 3 props and lost 2 of the gimbal rubber mounts. Not too bad for the height it fell from.

Wow! That really sucks. I'm curious how much flying time did you expect to get out of a 4S 5000 mAh Lipo? I know you mentioned that you didn't check to see if your batteries were fully charged but I'm just curious on the expected flying time for the battery you were using.

I know for my Storm 3S 5500 mAh 35C, I get 9 minutes and my Onyx 3S 6400 35C, I get 11:30 minutes. Once I hit 9 minutes or 11:30 minutes respectively, I get the first red light warning.

Hi F550 owners, hope you don't mind me playing here. My hex is a 450, but it's all in the family, right? ;)

I've only got a single maiden flight on my hex and of course I forgot to start my timer for the first 5 minutes, so I ended up with 11 and a half minutes with a 1401g AUW running a 3S 5400mah. Only accessory is the BTU. My guess is I'm good for 15 minutes with this config. It's great to see all the battery types and flight times here, but I'm wondering what the typical loadouts and AUW you guys are running to get the times you're posting?

I'm getting 9 minutes regularly with my 550 (5500 mah 3s). Your 450 should get better times.

re: crash

Holy moly! That could have been ugly.

I was showing the 550 to a neighbor and didn't keep track of the time very well (we were gabbing more than I was flying - it was hovering for five or six minutes). I looked at the screen and realized I was low on power and brought it down in front of us. I was at 80% throttle and it was still descending but it landed fine. Memo for record: pay attention. :lol:

ladykate said:
I'm getting 9 minutes regularly with my 550 (5500 mah 3s). Your 450 should get better times.

re: crash

Holy moly! That could have been ugly.

I was showing the 550 to a neighbor and didn't keep track of the time very well (we were gabbing more than I was flying - it was hovering for five or six minutes). I looked at the screen and realized I was low on power and brought it down in front of us. I was at 80% throttle and it was still descending but it landed fine. Memo for record: pay attention. :lol:

I set the "hey, dummy!" alert on my transmitter's timer @ 10:00 min, it starts beeping a loud countdown @ 9:00 min.

I forgot to update this thread. I ran a fresh battery this morning-- 19:03 to level 1 alarm at 10.6v. That's only one minute less than my Phantom, and at 200g heavier and with two extra motors, I'm really impressed.

OI Photography said:
I set the "hey, dummy!" alert on my transmitter's timer @ 10:00 min, it starts beeping a loud countdown @ 9:00 min.

Yep. Mine is set for 7 minutes (9 minute flight). I'm amazed how I can ignore it when I'm talking to someone else and flying. :roll:

TassieJon said:
While we're talking batteries, I thought I might throw a question in about chargers.
I have an Imax B6AC
One thing that I dont quite know and cant find any reference to is the number in the right lower corner after charging is complete. Is it the number of milliamps that the charger has put in?
The manual just indicates it as "charged capacity"
In this particular example I had charged a 5000Ma lipo.

If Im correct I'd used just over half, so going by the 80% rule I could have spent more time in the air.
Am I correct?

Sorry for not reading the entire thread before asking the question but - I have the same charger, does this charger measure internal resistance?

Thanks!!

JTheed said:
I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest.
I also ordered the E300 propulsion kit and that will be here Thursday the 6th according to UPS Tracking. I want to install the BET first and run it with the original motors and everything else connected to see what times I get and then I will install the E300 system to see if it improves.

So whatever happened with the E300 setup? In reading the DJI intro for the E300 it sounded like the cats meow and would seem to have affected flight time in a very good way, was just wondering what happened?

I have been wondering about this issue of 3S or 4S and in general its looking like there really is not that much improvement in flight time with a 4S setup, is that true? I mean maybe a minute is a big deal depending on application, but it seems like a lot of issues to consider for minimal gain?

Accupro said:
JTheed said:
I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest.
I also ordered the E300 propulsion kit and that will be here Thursday the 6th according to UPS Tracking. I want to install the BET first and run it with the original motors and everything else connected to see what times I get and then I will install the E300 system to see if it improves.

So whatever happened with the E300 setup? In reading the DJI intro for the E300 it sounded like the cats meow and would seem to have affected flight time in a very good way, was just wondering what happened?
e300 is out and it's really good, seems like one of the best 2212 systems out. I have it on my f450 y6 and it's quiet, responsive and efficient. 19 minutes flight on a single 5400mah 3s.

ElGuano said:
I have it on my f450 y6 and it's quiet, responsive and efficient. 19 minutes flight on a single 5400mah 3s.

Wow! That is darn good.

I tend to take things to the extreme if given the chance. I just know it's gonna bite me bad some day...

I have a couple of Walkera's 5200mah 10C 3S2P batteries to try on the Phantom (not so great for that application). Since I have two of them, I thought why not put 'em on the F450 and see how they perform with a decent C rating?

UNatdFA.jpg

10,400mah. 1620g AUW. 28 minutes and change. My copter has been repurposed into a post-rain patio dryer :O

5AwP1SS.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers