DJI F550 Batteries

Reaction score
Hi, I needed help choosing a battery for the F550. I have no idea what anything about the batteries numbers mean (like the mAh number, the cell number, the voltage. Its all so confusing to me!)

Can somebody please recommend me a battery for the F550 with the longest flight time and also please explain the meaning behind all the dam numbers!!!

Thank you!

tpallai said:
Hi, I needed help choosing a battery for the F550. I have no idea what anything about the batteries numbers mean (like the mAh number, the cell number, the voltage. Its all so confusing to me!)

Can somebody please recommend me a battery for the F550 with the longest flight time and also please explain the meaning behind all the dam numbers!!!

Thank you!

Start here, best primer out there on LiPo's: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Once you have those basics down, it'll be much easier to choose what batts fit your needs. For starters, you'll need to know if your 550 is set up to use 3S or 4S...probably 3S if you bought a RTF kit, but you'll need to know at least that much before you can start looking.

4s batteries if you use the DJI 8" props (recommended). If you go with the 10", use 3s. I find that it flies more stable and longer with 4s and 8" props. I use both, 5000MAH Hyperion (expensive) and 6600MAH Pulse (expensive).

While we're talking batteries, I thought I might throw a question in about chargers.
I have an Imax B6AC
One thing that I dont quite know and cant find any reference to is the number in the right lower corner after charging is complete. Is it the number of milliamps that the charger has put in?
The manual just indicates it as "charged capacity"
In this particular example I had charged a 5000Ma lipo.

If Im correct I'd used just over half, so going by the 80% rule I could have spent more time in the air.
Am I correct?

TassieJon said:
While we're talking batteries, I thought I might throw a question in about chargers.
I have an Imax B6AC
One thing that I dont quite know and cant find any reference to is the number in the right lower corner after charging is complete. Is it the number of milliamps that the charger has put in?
In this particular example I had charged a 5000Ma lipo.

If Im correct I'd used just over half, so going by the 80% rule I could have spent more time in the air.
Am I correct?

You got it exactly, and using that number on the display (which is the amount of mAh returned to the battery) is how you can judge how much you really consumed during the last use. Although the exact numbers for each battery will vary a bit (due to manufacturing quality, etc), in general a 5000mAh batt should take back ~4000mAh when flown to 20%. Note that some batteries may deliver a bit less than the rated capacity though (and all will do that after enough charging cycles), so use those numbers as a guide and not a firm rule for every flight...just keep an eye on it when you charge and you'll be able to tell what you can expect from each batt.

I charge my batteries on a ROBBE charger, whit charger I can charge 3 batt's at a time , they can be LiPO's Ni-Hi drive or a wet cell, if I charge LiPo's they can be 1 @5000mAmp and 2 @220mAh or what ever combo I want, this can also be done using a main's power supply or a camping batt or the car batt also I can read what state the battis in and how much charge is being put in.

tpallai said:

Thank you!

I was recently reminded that if you are using a FPV and have added LEDs to your F550, you'll need to install a BEC if you decide on using 4S Lipos. I've been looking around and most LEDs and FPV run on 2S-3S, if you run a 4S you could damange your add-ons so be very careful of that.

I'm currently using this LIPO, it came with the RTF and it gives me 9 minutes of flying time.
http://www.helipal.com/storm-11-1v-5500mah-35c-lipo-battery-pack.html

I recently purchased this one, once I get it, I'll report back how the flying time was. It's definitely more mAh than what I have now but it's also more heavier. So I'm curious to see what flying time will be since there's always a balance between a heavier battery with more mAh.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZKL&P=7

I just tested one of my new Lipos that I listed in my previous post. The 3S 6400 mAh 35c. This lipo went 11:45 minutes until I saw the first red light signifying I've hit the 1st Safety Warning.....start coming down.

I like how the iOSD shows you your battery status but I found it odd that it started at 12.6v but within 3-4 minutes it had dropped to 11.8v and remained there for a while. I did notice that once I saw the 1st Safety Warning light, my iOSD was showing that my battery status was at 10.7v. I'm happy with the additional flying time I'm getting with this battery IMHO.

OI Photography said:
Here's one I just spotted that might be worth considering: http://1uas.com/gensace/Gens-Ace-6000mA ... po-Battery

Someone else had told me about that lipo aso but I could not find it on the GENACE website so I gave up. I also wasn't a fan of having to solder my own connector. That's why the ones I got from Tower Hobbies were perfect for me........I'm lazy. LOL!!! I've used GenAce before and they are one of my Team's sponsors, so I know they are pretty good. I just don't like the extra work.

FangsCPO said:
OI Photography said:
Here's one I just spotted that might be worth considering: http://1uas.com/gensace/Gens-Ace-6000mA ... po-Battery

Someone else had told me about that lipo aso but I could not find it on the GENACE website so I gave up. I also wasn't a fan of having to solder my own connector. That's why the ones I got from Tower Hobbies were perfect for me........I'm lazy. LOL!!! I've used GenAce before and they are one of my Team's sponsors, so I know they are pretty good. I just don't like the extra work.

For most common connectors like that one comes with, you can get an adapter cable or plug to connect to XT60, readymaderc.com and others sell a bunch just for that purpose. When I first started I tried to only get batteries with XT60's on them, but soon it became too frustrating with all the options that would exclude lol.

I have 2 Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s 6000 on order will post back with flight times once I get chance to try them.

markab said:
I have 2 Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s 6000 on order will post back with flight times once I get chance to try them.

Where did you find them? I've been waiting for them to come back in to stock at every source I've found.

OI Photography said:
markab said:

Where did you find them? I've been waiting for them to come back in to stock at every source I've found.

In the UK warehouse although I haven't had a shipping notice yet!!

I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest.
I also ordered the E300 propulsion kit and that will be here Thursday the 6th according to UPS Tracking. I want to install the BET first and run it with the original motors and everything else connected to see what times I get and then I will install the E300 system to see if it improves.

JTheed said:
I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest.
I also ordered the E300 propulsion kit and that will be here Thursday the 6th according to UPS Tracking. I want to install the BET first and run it with the original motors and everything else connected to see what times I get and then I will install the E300 system to see if it improves.

Nice!! I look forward to your comparison results.

OI Photography said:
FangsCPO said:
It states 720 grams.

I SWEAR that was not in there when I first looked at that :D

If I was using 3S I would def want to give this one a try.

But of course, they are out of stock now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20