DJI DOA exchange policy?

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me as to the official DJI DOA exchange policy?

About a month ago, I purchased a replacement Phantom 2 and Lightbridge set-up from the same (official) dealer where I had purchased my original Phantom 2. The equipment arrived quickly, but the Lightbridge video was pixellating badly at even 5 feet. After reloading software, checking the forums for possible solutions and exchanging the ribbon video cable it was pretty obvious that I had a bad unit. I sent videos demonstrating the problem to the dealer and arranged to send the unit back (my nickel). The dealer did nothing for 10 days after receiving the returned Lightbridge and claimed that the delay was to get approval from DJI to exchange the unit. The dealer then proceeded to try to troubleshoot the problem by asking me which box was bad. I told him I had no idea and to check the videos I had sent. I had to send the videos again as the dealer had lost them. By then I had pretty much figured out that I was getting the run-around from the dealer. I emailed the dealer and told him that I needed a resolution that day. The next morning I got a USPS tracking number via email from the dealer.

The replacement arrived today containing my previous cables, charger, etc. along with the ground and flight boxes. Initially, I was concerned that the dealer had merely sent the same equipment back because the problem could have been a bad cable. However, the video output from the new unit was great. When I went to update the Lightbridge software, the already installed software was way out of date, prompting me to wonder how long the unit had been sitting around or used. After trying 3 times to update the ground system decoder from version 1.3.0 to 1.4.7, I gave up. I'm afraid the dealer has tried to pass off an earlier bad unit on me.

Hence my question about the official DJI exchange policy....

jlindh said:

About a month ago, I purchased a replacement Phantom 2 and Lightbridge set-up from the same (official) dealer where I had purchased my original Phantom 2. The equipment arrived quickly, but the Lightbridge video was pixellating badly at even 5 feet. After reloading software, checking the forums for possible solutions and exchanging the ribbon video cable it was pretty obvious that I had a bad unit. I sent videos demonstrating the problem to the dealer and arranged to send the unit back (my nickel). The dealer did nothing for 10 days after receiving the returned Lightbridge and claimed that the delay was to get approval from DJI to exchange the unit. The dealer then proceeded to try to troubleshoot the problem by asking me which box was bad. I told him I had no idea and to check the videos I had sent. I had to send the videos again as the dealer had lost them. By then I had pretty much figured out that I was getting the run-around from the dealer. I emailed the dealer and told him that I needed a resolution that day. The next morning I got a USPS tracking number via email from the dealer.

The replacement arrived today containing my previous cables, charger, etc. along with the ground and flight boxes. Initially, I was concerned that the dealer had merely sent the same equipment back because the problem could have been a bad cable. However, the video output from the new unit was great. When I went to update the Lightbridge software, the already installed software was way out of date, prompting me to wonder how long the unit had been sitting around or used. After trying 3 times to update the ground system decoder from version 1.3.0 to 1.4.7, I gave up. I'm afraid the dealer has tried to pass off an earlier bad unit on me.

That's horrible! Unfortunately, I had a similar incident where my 2 day-old LB did no function. I had ordered it from Amazon which took it back no questions asked. Then I bought a new one from B&H. They always have fresh stock and I received it in 2 days. Who is your vendor? The DJI return policy is listed on their site http://www.dji.com/service. It is a flow chart showing what they do... luckily I didn't have to deal with them directly.

Update on my situation: I was suspicious after the (MI) dealer's shenanigans and contacted DJI support in LA. The tech support agent volunteered to have my unit checked out and either repaired or replaced if there were any problems. DJI sent a prepaid UPS label and I returned the unit.

This morning, I received a message from DJI stating that they were replacing the air unit with a new one and had repaired the ground unit by replacing a PCB board. I couldn't ask for better service from DJI, and couldn't be more disappointed in the dealer's attempt to get rid of a suspect unit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 10.58.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 10.58.57 AM.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,034
Re: DJI DOA exchange policy? Update

After 3 months, I believe I finally have a properly operating LightBridge setup on my Phantom 2. When I received my "repaired" LightBridge back from DJI, the problems remained, no change at all. DJI then requested that both my Phantom and LightBridge be returned to them. At first, DJI said everything was fine, but when I asked if they had flown the unit at a reasonable distance, they agreed to do so. Bear in mind that my problems were showing up without flying the copter at all. DJI then said "we've replaced the air unit (again) and updated the ground unit", and shipped it back.

The pixillation remained when I received my unit!!! In conversations with tech support I've learned that they don't free fly units to test them, the copters are somehow tethered. So much for any distance testing.

With all the LightBridge component replacements it became obvious the the problem was elsewhere. I tried different flying locations, used different vehicles, turned off all personal electronics to no avail. I then connected the LightBridge to my flying buddy’s Phantom without running the wires thru the shell, without mounting the air unit and without securing the antennas to the copter. The unit worked fine. I repeated this set-up with my copter and the LightBridge worked fine. I then remounted the LightBridge to my copter and had the pixellation problem immediately. I then removed the antennas from the legs and the LightBridge worked fine. Long story short, on my Phantom at least, the antennas cannot be mounted on the DJI recommended legs which are also the legs which contain the original receiver antennas. To my knowledge, there are no DJI instructions mandating the removal of the original 5.8 gHz receiver or even unplugging it from the Naza when installing the LightBridge. It certainly looks to me as if there was interference from the original receiver system. After removing my 5.8 receiver, my LightBridge seems to work fine.

Glad you got it sorted out. Really baffled as to why DJI would look at it and not see that issue. Putting two competing antennas in close proximity to each other will produce horrible results. In the case of LB, best to take the original control RX out as you have now done.

I bought a P3 Pro from Henry's, in Canada. Henry's is a reputable camera store, but their return policy for "out of the box" defects with drones sucks big time. I couldn't get any satisfaction from them or Flying cameras, who is the Canadian distributor. So I went nuts, basically, and created this blog. http://be-wary-shopping-at-henrys.blogspot.ca The very next morning I was happily given a replacement. I don't think they saw it coming.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20