DJI & Disney Airspace

Reaction score
I had a job this morning that was near Disney here in Orlando (job location is approximately 5 miles away from Disney). I have an FAA airspace authorization to perform the job. After driving 40 miles to the location, the DJI software determined I was in restricted airspace and would not allow me to take off [insert multiple expletives here]. I followed the necessary steps to unlock the zone through their website. At the end of that process, it still deemed me in restricted airspace and wouldn't let me fly.

For reference, here's the webpage that details the TFR.

4/3634 NOTAM Details

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, the job I was performing fits within the categories allowed.

So I have 4 questions:

1. How am I supposed to unlock this zone for further operations?

2. Is there a way to disable the geo-fencing feature to allow the drone to fly when I have legal authorization to do so?

3. Is this just a DJI limitation or do other UAS end-users experience the same problem?

4. Is there a way to determine ahead of time (i.e. before driving 40 miles), that DJI is going to require a ZONE UNLOCK?

Attachments

• IMG_9325.JPG
    IMG_9325.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 523
  • IMG_9327.PNG
    IMG_9327.PNG
    137.9 KB · Views: 500
I'd be willing to bet that there is nothing you can do to unlock the area. DJI NFZ's have become ridiculous! Only option you probably has is to do a google search on how to roll back your firmware to 1.04.509 so you can get in there and edit the parameters and get DJI's grubby paws off of YOUR DRONE!

I'd be willing to bet that there is nothing you can do to unlock the area. DJI NFZ's have become ridiculous! Only option you probably has is to do a google search on how to roll back your firmware to 1.04.509 so you can get in there and edit the parameters and get DJI's grubby paws off of YOUR DRONE!

You're probably right, and if so, this particular job is not worth the hassle.

Should have checked the "DJI Fly Safe" (or not at all!) map first for their NFZ red areas which Disneyworld Orlando is part of with maybe a 8 mile coverage diameter. How and if DJI will unlock it is another matter that might take a lot of time with their own NFZ cop and paperwork. I've seen enough times where even getting close to a NFZ throws up a warning so I don't know how accurate the map coverage is once inside the drone's gps.

DJI Fly Safe maps: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Should have checked the "DJI Fly Safe" (or not at all!) map first for their NFZ red areas which Disneyworld Orlando is part of with maybe a 8 mile coverage diameter. How and if DJI will unlock it is another matter that might take a lot of time with their own NFZ cop and paperwork. I've seen enough times where even getting close to a NFZ throws up a warning so I don't know how accurate the map coverage is once inside the drone's gps.

DJI Fly Safe maps: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Like I suggested earlier, do a google search and find out how to take DJI out of the equation PERMANENTLY!

I had a job this morning that was near Disney here in Orlando (job location is approximately 5 miles away from Disney). I have an FAA airspace authorization to perform the job. After driving 40 miles to the location, the DJI software determined I was in restricted airspace and would not allow me to take off [insert multiple expletives here]. I followed the necessary steps to unlock the zone through their website. At the end of that process, it still deemed me in restricted airspace and wouldn't let me fly.

4/3634 NOTAM Details

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, the job I was performing fits within the categories allowed.

So I have 4 questions:

2. Is there a way to disable the geo-fencing feature to allow the drone to fly when I have legal authorization to do so?

3. Is this just a DJI limitation or do other UAS end-users experience the same problem?

4. Is there a way to determine ahead of time (i.e. before driving 40 miles), that DJI is going to require a ZONE UNLOCK?

This might be helpful.

Thanks for the link. I’ve never looked at DJI’s Fly Safe maps. Always looked at the FAA’s nav charts.

4/3634 NOTAM Details

So I have 4 questions:

Ron give me a call sometime at 407-744-1163 and I will go over your situation. [email protected]

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl