Dji can land on water

Reaction score
Hi everyone....was watching Discovery channel tonight and they showed a company that is making landing gear for the phantom. This gear allows you to land on water and uneven surfaces. Has anyone else see this . And if so ..WHERE CAN I GET THEM.....I've got lakes all around me and they would sure make for some great videos

Kickstarter.

Hi everyone....was watching Discovery channel tonight and they showed a company that is making landing gear for the phantom. This gear allows you to land on water and uneven surfaces. Has anyone else see this . And if so ..WHERE CAN I GET THEM.....I've got lakes all around me and they would sure make for some great videos
There have been several and most are useless at best.
They would lumber your Phantom with a lot of extra weight and windage, eating the performance and battery life.
Some also would also be always in the camera's field of view.
At best they would allow you to land on still waters.

Here's a recent one: WaterStrider: Perfect Footage. Confident Landings. Anywhere.
Note they want $240 for this but don't give any indication of how much it handicaps your Phantom's performance or flight time.
And if you wanted it for landing in difficult terrain, it's a lot cheaper to learn to hand-catch.

Thanks for the reply...yes the water strider is the one they featured. I was not expecting that type of price for 4 plastic disks. I guess ill have to design something myself

Yeah, it was interesting that the video was mostly OF the waterstrider, not from the craft. They did appear to do some reasonable engineering but it looks like it has enough cross sectional area to get blasted by the wind.

And Kickstarter hardware projects don't have the best track record for completion.

You should check out the most recent version of the Kickstarter page. We have made a lot of additions that could address many of your questions. There is also another thread on this forum.

The current price on Kickstarter is $159. The MSRP number mentioned earlier should be ignored as we haven't fully decided our post-campaign distribution channels. The campaign ends on 30 May.

WaterStrider: Perfect Footage. Confident Landings. Anywhere.

Introducing WaterStrider—Make Confident Takeoffs & Landings Anywhere

Check out our latest video that shows some really cool landings on water and other difficult terrain that would have otherwise ruined the drone (or at least the camera).

The campaign ends on Monday, so time is running short to get a WaterStrider for $159 from our production runs in June and July (June is already full). There are more great videos on our campaign page. You can find the campaign link in my signature below. Check it out!

@WetDog Our team is really experienced in product development and production. In addition, we have a money-back guarantee for backers, so there is very little risk. If the campaign is not fully funded, you spend nothing. If it is successful, our experienced team will deliver. If you're not happy with the WaterStrider, return it within 30 days for a full refund.

@WetDog To answer your question about wind, see the following video where we flew in very windy conditions. Our wind limitations are set at 17-23 mph for the Phantom 3 and 23-28 mph for the Phantom 4. These are pretty strong winds.

$159 still high price for me. You have to make under $100 price range to be more competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The problem that I see is that your 'difficult landings' are on a dead still pond. Great if you want to buzz around forest ponds. Yes, increasing the footprint will make it easier to take off without flipping over (a weak spot in the design of the Phantom class UAV).

What people are generally concerned about is emergency landings over real water bodies. I don't think the water spider would last 30 seconds in an open bay.

But keep at it. Maybe people want to take off and land from pools. There are clearly sillier things done around here.....

Reactions: BrandAL
You should check out the most recent version of the Kickstarter page. We have made a lot of additions that could address many of your questions. There is also another thread on this forum.

The current price on Kickstarter is $159. The MSRP number mentioned earlier should be ignored as we haven't fully decided our post-campaign distribution channels. The campaign ends on 30 May.

WaterStrider: Perfect Footage. Confident Landings. Anywhere.

Introducing WaterStrider—Make Confident Takeoffs & Landings Anywhere

Like others have said a little pricey but good luck.My main problem with it is I would be more worried about a crash landing in the water rather than a controlled descent.If craft lands upside down or on its side will this keep it floating on top of the water?

@htownphantom Thanks for the question. Of course people want it to cost less. In fact, we really want it to cost less as well because we know that even more people will benefit from it. Sales volumes and demand will drive the price. As you might imagine, it is actually pretty expensive to engineer, develop, purchase tooling etc. for even what looks like a relatively simple product. There is a lot of solid engineering in this product and delivering a high-quality product. We take the position that people are trusting their drone with the WaterStrider in difficult situations, so we don't cut corners to make the product so cheap that nobody is happy with it or nobody feels safe using it.

People who've lost their $1000 drone (or $1500 for a P4) wish they had spent $159 on this. It's way less expensive than a new camera or especially a new drone. We're trying to get the product into as many hands as possible. People who have seen it in person, looked at it closely, and tried it out are totally sold on it. It really is a very high quality product.

Yes to your question about crashes, the landing pods are extremely tough and attached very securely. You can see in the drop test video on the campaign page that under a full rate descent onto concrete, they whole setup comes away with zero damage. During some of our aggressive testing, we actually hit a tree as we were moving into position over a river for a filming shot. A propeller was broken and the drone fell from about 20 feet into the river. The WaterStrider had no damage at all and floated the drone making it really easy to recover. After a bit of drying, the drone and WaterStrider are still flyable today. Even if you managed to rip off one of the landing pods in a crash (which would be extremely difficult), it will still float the drone solidly with just 3 landing pods. This would be true in any orientation, including upside down.

Reactions: BrandAL
@htownphantom Thanks for the question. Of course people want it to cost less. In fact, we really want it to cost less as well because we know that even more people will benefit from it. Sales volumes and demand will drive the price. As you might imagine, it is actually pretty expensive to engineer, develop, purchase tooling etc. for even what looks like a relatively simple product. There is a lot of solid engineering in this product and delivering a high-quality product. We take the position that people are trusting their drone with the WaterStrider in difficult situations, so we don't cut corners to make the product so cheap that nobody is happy with it or nobody feels safe using it.

People who've lost their $1000 drone (or $1500 for a P4) wish they had spent $159 on this. It's way less expensive than a new camera or especially a new drone. We're trying to get the product into as many hands as possible. People who have seen it in person, looked at it closely, and tried it out are totally sold on it. It really is a very high quality product.

Yes to your question about crashes, the landing pods are extremely tough and attached very securely. You can see in the drop test video on the campaign page that under a full rate descent onto concrete, they whole setup comes away with zero damage. During some of our aggressive testing, we actually hit a tree as we were moving into position over a river for a filming shot. A propeller was broken and the drone fell from about 20 feet into the river. The WaterStrider had no damage at all and floated the drone making it really easy to recover. After a bit of drying, the drone and WaterStrider are still flyable today. Even if you managed to rip off one of the landing pods in a crash (which would be extremely difficult), it will still float the drone solidly with just 3 landing pods. This would be true in any orientation, including upside down.

Thanks for the reply.Do you have the footage from the crash on water? If you do,seems like that would help a lot in your marketing campaign.I've seen a few products that people say would be able to save your drone but I have not seen any video of people actually using a drone in the test,just using a weighted object.Maybe these videos exist but I havent seen any.If you were to make a video of actually crashing a Phantom in the water and your floats keeping it up it could be useful in your marketing campaign.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetDog
We don't have footage of that crash, unfortunately. We weren't expecting to accidentally hit a tree. The adrenaline of the crash had us just rushing to try and recover it and we didn't think about getting a picture until it was already out of the water. We continue to kick ourselves for that one! The footage from the other drone flying was of the area the drone was moving into, but it didn't quite make it into the shot.

Here is a photo that we did manage to take immediately after pulling it out of the water.
20160326_161537_reduced.jpg

In the takeoff and landings video above, you can see a very rapid descent onto water at the 01:13 point in the video. This landing had the stick pulled all the way down clear to the water touchdown. Is this what you mean by a hard landing/crash, or do you mean go fly the drone and shut off the motors in flight over water?

We'd love to crash one in the water on purpose (and actually get the video) to demonstrate this, but it is possible that the drone could get soaked when it hits the water. It's very likely recoverable with the WaterStrider, but you never know if the drone itself or battery will get permanent water damage. We're trying to have as low a price as possible, and this is potentially more cost for the company as we're building up the business. That said, if we're able to afford it without a price increase to the product, we'd love to perform this test. Anybody have an old junker P3 or P4?

We don't have footage of that crash, unfortunately. We weren't expecting to accidentally hit a tree. The adrenaline of the crash had us just rushing to try and recover it and we didn't think about getting a picture until it was already out of the water. We continue to kick ourselves for that one! The footage from the other drone flying was of the area the drone was moving into, but it didn't quite make it into the shot.

Here is a photo that we did manage to take immediately after pulling it out of the water.
View attachment 55031

In the takeoff and landings video above, you can see a very rapid descent onto water at the 01:13 point in the video. This landing had the stick pulled all the way down clear to the water touchdown. Is this what you mean by a hard landing/crash, or do you mean go fly the drone and shut off the motors in flight over water?

We'd love to crash one in the water on purpose (and actually get the video) to demonstrate this, but it is possible that the drone could get soaked when it hits the water. It's very likely recoverable with the WaterStrider, but you never know if the drone itself or battery will get permanent water damage. We're trying to have as low a price as possible, and this is potentially more cost for the company as we're building up the business. That said, if we're able to afford it without a price increase to the product, we'd love to perform this test. Anybody have an old junker P3 or P4?
Yeah thats the problem:) Nobody wants to sacrifice a phantom for the test.Maybe test a P1 ,seeing as you can get a P3 for 399 now I would think a P1 wouldnt be over a couple hundred,I dont know what the weight difference would be.
And yes the test would be better if the Phantom was shut down in flight so it would simulate a prop falling off or some other failure that would cause it to come down out of control and not land upright.

For those of you who were interested in seeing the WaterStrider in action on the ocean, check out the video below from when we completed our sea trials about a month ago. You can see at the very end of the video some very aggressive ocean conditions but still no capsizing and the drone is fully recoverable from on top of the water.

Also, since my last post we have finished all of our Kickstarter deliveries and our online store is open for general sale. Based on the strong demand we have been able to lower our price for the product (and we also refunded our faithful Kickstarter backers on the price difference). Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

DroneRafts.com
Buy WaterStrider

save your money and get a waterproof drone . landing on water with anything out there will still kick up water to your phantom from prop wash the fact is the phantom is not make for water landing but others are.

Reactions: syotr
save your money and get a waterproof drone . landing on water with anything out there will still kick up water to your phantom from prop wash the fact is the phantom is not make for water landing but others are.

@k_ogre Thanks for the comment. This is a common concern expressed. We've done hundreds and hundreds of landings on many types of water conditions with WaterStrider and water does not get on the camera or the body of the drone. Only in conditions like ones at the very end of the sea trials video above (which are very aggressive) does any water get on the drone. It's unlikely you would want to fly the drone anyhow in conditions that create waves like this, though. For this reason, the WaterStrider combined with a Phantom makes for a really cost effective, flexible solution for water operations compared to some of the other solutions out there.

Many of the clips in the ocean trials video are taken from the drone with the WaterStrider installed. In the video below you can see several more clips from the drone during water operations with WaterStrider. You can see that there is no water getting on the camera.

Gotta say I like what I see. Something like this would give me more confidence in flying around water. Now if we just had a fan to make us troll on top of the water we could get some good on the water shots.

Gotta say I like what I see. Something like this would give me more confidence in flying around water. Now if we just had a fan to make us troll on top of the water we could get some good on the water shots.

@Rjeffw It is actually possible using the roll and pitch controls to troll a bit on the water. If the water it fairly calm and winds light it works well. If there is some wind or waves you can add a bit of throttle to help out. However, the throttle technique is more advanced and requires a bit of practice to get the hang of it (just like a real aircraft on water). The yaw control works quite well to rotate on the water and point in different directions or track another object near the water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20