DJi blocking you from flying near an airport

I just updated to 2.80 and still no red circiles around Logan international in Boston.

(You probably mean 1.8.)

Weird. Of course, you don't want to test that capability, but here in Seattle, we have not just all international airports, but both professional sports stadiums with NFZs around them.

Reactions: gavcuk
(You probably mean 1.8.)

Weird. Of course, you don't want to test that capability, but here in Seattle, we have not just all international airports, but both professional sports stadiums with NFZs around them.
I mean 2.8 app 1.8 a.c. 1.6 rc. I don't see anything within the app signifying restrictions.

I mean 2.8 app 1.8 a.c. 1.6 rc. I don't see anything within the app signifying restrictions.
Keep internet on and enlarge the map. See if you can locate NFZs around you wishing 75 miles approx.

You will see NFZs with the latest SW/ FW only when you get the home point on your map set.

Last edited:
It's 35 miles at DC ... and alot of flyers live inside that radius. So consider yourself lucky if you're only locked out a little ways from home

I live about 4.8 miles from a small airport and when I power up inside my house it tells me that I am near a NFZ. I've noticed that I get 2 red flashes in the midst of my green (safe-to-fly) flashes on my bird. That started a couple of FW versions ago.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've had my P3A up within the 5mi radius of an airport (contacted ATC) and didn't have to do any unlock to do so with latest firmware. Is unlock for 5mi radius only some airports??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

(You probably mean 1.8.)

Tried flying across the road from Centurylink a week or two ago to film a music video on a rooftop, NFZ says no. Got within 5 mi of Renton airport(notified tower first) without any problems though that was months ago.
Nice to see moar Seattle people here. :)

Its not illegal to fly in an airport control area. All you have to do in the USA is make sure your drone is registered and then request clearance from the tower in advance either by radio, phone or email to fly in the controlled airspace.

Reactions: Soup
My RC club has been asked to put on a little show at an upcoming Air Show, my club members will be there displaying there fixed wing, helis and drones. As I have 2 Phantoms I won't be able to take part without a lot of mucking about, I hate this Nanny World we live in these days, fed up of being told what you can and can't do! Now! where's the grumpy imoticon button ?

Reactions: Soup
You're right. I should've ignored all that.

Pretty good reply as far as the learning curve goes. Never hurts to give out all the best information you have. I had a college teacher once who stood up in class and basically stated " If you've not heard it before then learn from it. If you have, then reaffirm what you already know and let it serve as a refresher". Your initial reply just reinforced the Prof's statement.

I work in Papua New Guinea far from anywhere but on a local airfield and am locked out. At the crew house 5 min drive from the hangar I get a caution message. It's all covered due to lowest common denominator, those who don't care where they fly or what they do.
Have fun take care.

DJI has been piloting a beta version of their GEO system for unlocking NFZs, for flyers who use Android devices; iOS is not currently supported. It will allow you to fly in what would otherwise be a NFZ (aside from the DC Special Flight Rules Area, which is a permanent no-no), assuming of course that you've already done the tower notification and all that. When it will actually be released... nobody knows. :confused:

Strange. Two weeks ago I was flying over the museum in front of the Point Mugu NAWS military base which was north of Los Angeles, CA and I even didn't get a single warning. And I have all the recent updates installed.

Strange. Two weeks ago I was flying over the museum in front of the Point Mugu NAWS military base which was north of Los Angeles, CA and I even didn't get a single warning. And I have all the recent updates installed.

That is strange indeed. Area is well covered by known warning and NFZ's. (see attachment)

Attachments

• DJIGEO_NASPointMugu.PNG
    DJIGEO_NASPointMugu.PNG
    144 KB · Views: 397
Frankly, all the restrictions is kids stuff.

If I want to fly at 10 feet above my roof line (42 feet), I should be able to, even if I am within 5 miles or 0.5 miles of an airport. If an airplane is that low on approach, its hitting something other than my Phantom. While I do fly at 200 feet regularly, some of the best UAV video is low and slow, IMO, and I should be free to fly where I want, if I follow the rules, interpret the guidelines and fly safely.

Also, I have permission to fly at my local airport and many areas around it and others. I'm section 333 approved. I've taken some good videos of the field and events like pancake breakfasts, etc. If I update past the 1.6 firmware A/C or 2.4 GO app firmware, that all goes away without logging in and authorizing, maybe.

I agree many newbies and others require baby sitter applications to keep them safe, but I don't. This was all supposed to be solved and sorted by DJI with their GEO system, but its not. Until then, I will not be upgrading my firmware or to a P4. Its a shame DJI feels the need to be a babysitter. The warning are sufficient. The restrictions are ridiculous for mature adults.

Reactions: Phantomfreak
The only restricted area around me is KDSM, Des Moines International [hahaha] Airport. Thankfully, I live far enough away. My place of employment is somewhat near (but far enough away to not have to contact them) the Ankeny Municipal Airport (KIKV), which is a Class C airport. Nothing around it for NFZ.

Looking at the NFZ map, it just seems really inconsistent.

Interesting. Seems to me, we were allowed to call when flying near airports to let them know. Now mind you, I am not talking about an international airport.

I live very rural and the airport is a tiny little thing with no air traffic controllers, no security, etc. It is a SMALL airport with only small Cessnas, etc landing. So flying in town with a phone call, per what the rules were (unless they have been changed, again) should be possible with permission.

That said, I do NOT advocate flying near passenger jet airports, however.

So, if I call my tiny little airport and get permission, DJI is still going to block me from flying? Hmmmm.

It's 35 miles at DC ... and alot of flyers live inside that radius. So consider yourself lucky if you're only locked out a little ways from home
...(aside from the DC Special Flight Rules Area, which is a permanent no-no),
I'm 19.5 miles due north of the White House (which is less than the distance one of our members flew his P3 yesterday afternoon) and I fly from my property every time I get a chance. I got batteries charging right now. Allow me to introduce you to NOTAM FDC 6/2069

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/sUAS_SFRA_FDC_6_2069_A0037_16.pdf

Its not illegal to fly in an airport control area. All you have to do in the USA is make sure your drone is registered and then request clearance from the tower in advance either by radio, phone or email to fly in the controlled airspace.
True, and if there is no tower, you need to notify the airport manager. The tower or airport manager cannot deny or grant you permission - the FAA is very vague on what sort of notification is required. I wrote a letter to the airport manager describing where/what I planned to do within 2.7 miles of the airport and had him countersign the letter. He said, "that is way overkill" but signed it so I have proof of notification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20