DJi blocking you from flying near an airport

Reaction score
Hello guys , is dji blocking you from flying near an airport through the latest firmware ?

Thanks

Hello guys , is dji blocking you from flying near an airport through the latest firmware ?

Thanks
If you're on the most recent versions of firmware and DJI GO app (maybe for others like Litchi as well?),
you will not be allowed to fire up motors within a 1.5 mile circumference of airspace defined as an "AUTHORIZATION ZONE" (airports, etc.)

From 1.5 miles and out to 5 miles, this is referred to as an "ENHANCED WARNING ZONE", and if you unlock your bird via DJI GEO, you will be able to fly but may be limited to a maximum altitude AGL.

These software/hardware limitations are in place to prevent INCIDENTS within the national air space and traffic corridors. The RISK of INCIDENTS goes way, way up when you place sUAS near these congested, manned aircraft locations called "airports".

The FAA rules are clearly stated with regard to flying near "Airports". Please remember that airports are not all the same, and include heliports, small regional airports, and other such facilities. "Warning & Authorization Zones" may also include facilities such as power plants, refineries, etc.

You were not asking about the rules, but please educate yourself about them and follow them for the sake of all of us who want to continue flying without further suppression from a government office.

Thanks
The answer is Yes.

How hard was that? No soap box, no diatribe about unasked questions, no FAA rulebook, no embedded safety videos.. Just a simple answer . Y....E....S....

jeebus mary and joseph people.

I love this community and i never said im going to fly near an airport. Just wanted to know the limitations of my drone. I hVe seen ppl doing stupid things n ruining this hobby for everyone. I just asked a question and i think thats why we have this forum? Dont get angry and post stupid replies.

Throw an open ended question to the entire world, and then challenge the manner in which it's answered. Fk me....

Reactions: movius
P3P is definitely showing red circles around airports in California and also includes helipad data. I never crossed the circle so have no idea if it really blocks taking off in NFZs

All good answers. thanks for taking the time to post.

Most of the answers above are very well written.

I suspect that in the future all Flight Control manufacturers will be required to implement these restrictions. Of course for every safe guard there will be ways to get around them (some ethical some not so much). It's just how this industry has "evolved" (or devolved depending on which side of the fence you call home).

Throw an open ended question to the entire world, and then challenge the manner in which it's answered. Fk me....
Classy reply. Very classy.

to me this is good news. Now I don't need a separate app to check where the airports are and how close I am.

DJI should lock out all Class A to Class D airports at 1.5 miles. Look at it this way... there may be times when someone does not know that they are close to an airport. Locking them out only helps the flyer do the right thing. As it is, DJI only locks out Class A and I think Class B airports. Personally I don't think this is enough and DJI needs to correct this shortage. They also need to go back to locking out NFZ such as military bases and the like.

Reactions: bobomet
I live just outside of the red circle and the NFZ does work, my P3P will not spin up, just sits there with a "You are in a NFZ" warning. What this means is I cannot fly inside, I cannot fly 20ft around my property. I get why DJI did this but it's sad for those of us just on the out side of the circle.

The answer is Yes.

How hard was that? No soap box, no diatribe about unasked questions, no FAA rulebook, no embedded safety videos.. Just a simple answer . Y....E....S....

jeebus mary and joseph people.

It's nice to read a simple answer, and not another drone cop response

Sticking to topic, happy I've not updated for some time now as all of a sudden b4ufly app just popped up some crop fields with heli pads near by. Maybe I'll call the farmers, ask him if I can fly in my back yard :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
There was one time I was flying in Maui, I launched near an airport without knowing but no where near the restricted zone. I did however fly into it and that's when my GO app started alarming and telling me that I'm in a restricted area. Once I flew away from it I was fine. It shows red on the map.

Hi everybody, its the same in switzerland. You cant fly in a NFZ. I tryed to fly close to an NFZ and couldnt fire up my phantom 3 p.

Went to a friend's house last week. He lives a block and a half from the end of a runway off MKE. His new P3A with the current software would not spin up. Mine using litchi would and we happily flew it around in his living room (not outdoors) and it had 10+ sats and was in full P-GPS mode so it knew right where it was. Since I don't fly GO, no idea if GO would have allowed it. Just for SNG's I took mine out and set it in the driveway. Sure enough it spun up and would lift off (I only got to head height though as a test). But, again, thats with a older firmware and with Litchi.

The answer is Yes.
Are you sure? I had limitations (red no fly zones around airports) well before this recent firmware upgrade. Are they now different? Stronger? Bigger? Do you have anything to show how they have changed to this firmware upgrade from the last?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1