DIY, Drone fishing worked great.

Reaction score
Got back from Florida. I had a few opportunities, although this wasn't a vacation trip, to drone fish. Twice at the beach and twice at St. Andrew's marina. Each time wasn't very long, because I had my disabled daughter with me. She needed to get out of the house also. Death in the family.

There were no glitches and everything worked perfectly. I used a navigational map to check the depths at each place. It was a thrill to fly out to 1500ft plus? Lol. Wow! At the pier, I asked a local if the fishing was better farther out? He said how far out? I said, 1,500 ft. He laughed and turned his head. He turned his head again when he saw the drone and it started up. I also had my fishing license checked by the game warden. He wanted to know more about drone fishing. He was a nice country boy type. We hit it off and talked a while.

My set up was from Ianzone's pictures. I made it from an aluminum paint stick and aluminum pop rivet, so there was no magnetic interfere. I use small zip ties to keep it in place. I used a little epoxy to help keep it in place. I could have made the brace wider to accommodate two rivets minus the epoxy. I flew at a 45 deg. angle with the brace facing the rear to keep the line secure. If the line snagged for some reason, the line would just flip off the back with no harm to the drone, versus attaching to the front. All sensors were turned off. They don't work well over water anyway.
20210219_110046.jpg

Hah I love that DIY setup mr Rootman.
Love your story of you impressing that local XD

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Got back from Florida. I had a few opportunities, although this wasn't a vacation trip, to drone fish. Twice at the beach and twice at St. Andrew's marina. Each time wasn't very long, because I had my disabled daughter with me. She needed to get out of the house also. Death in the family.

There were no glitches and everything worked perfectly. I used a navigational map to check the depths at each place. It was a thrill to fly out to 1500ft plus? Lol. Wow! At the pier, I asked a local if the fishing was better farther out? He said how far out? I said, 1,500 ft. He laughed and turned his head. He turned his head again when he saw the drone and it started up. I also had my fishing license checked by the game warden. He wanted to know more about drone fishing. He was a nice country boy type. We hit it off and talked a while.

My set up was from Ianzone's pictures. I made it from an aluminum paint stick and aluminum pop rivet, so there was no magnetic interfere. I use small zip ties to keep it in place. I used a little epoxy to help keep it in place. I could have made the brace wider to accommodate two rivets minus the epoxy. I flew at a 45 deg. angle with the brace facing the rear to keep the line secure. If the line snagged for some reason, the line would just flip off the back with no harm to the drone, versus attaching to the front. All sensors were turned off. They don't work well over water anyway. View attachment 121466

Now if you could digitize it, and have 3D renderings made - you could sell them!

Nice set up, and can't wait to read about a fishing adventure (catch!) next time.

Reactions: Capt KO
Now if you could digitize it, and have 3D renderings made - you could sell them!

Nice set up, and can't wait to read about a fishing adventure (catch!) next time.
I agree, but the adventure was a thrill. I was in the water where the big fish lurk. I have fished from the surf for years and tried my best to get out as far as I could cast. It was a wild and crazy dream then to think I could be out in the water that far. Panama City Beach is a great place to use this style of fishing. There is a good drop off 500ft out. They have a 1,500 foot pier that people have caught sailfish from. It get too crowded on that pier. I down loaded a navigational map to show the depths and I'm even within reach of some underwater wrecks. There are much better months to fish. I will be back and hope to report better success. ?

Love it. Glad it worked out so well. Fish would have been nice too but the trip alone was worth the setup. Would like to join you sometime when you're back. Been wanting to fish the spring cobia run. Droning would be perfect for sight fishing those monsters. No boat needed.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Thank you for reminding me that a great new adventure of drone fishing lies ahead. I can no longer cast far enough to reach the sandbanks and drop offs and purchased a Gannet X bait release locally. I have so far only flown test flights to determine maximum distance, carrying capacity of my P3S and the release mechanism itself (attached). The max distance I get is 200m (600ft) LOS, but that is far enough for me. I can’t wait for my next trip to really put it to good use carrying live bait, dropping bags of chum to attract the bluefish that patrols the shoreline.

Attachments

• CDB0FA92-CE1B-4191-B944-1717311C1960.jpeg
    CDB0FA92-CE1B-4191-B944-1717311C1960.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
Reactions: Capt KO
Thank you for reminding me that a great new adventure of drone fishing lies ahead. I can no longer cast far enough to reach the sandbanks and drop offs and purchased a Gannet X bait release locally. I have so far only flown test flights to determine maximum distance, carrying capacity of my P3S and the release mechanism itself (attached). The max distance I get is 200m (600ft) LOS, but that is far enough for me. I can’t wait for my next trip to really put it to good use carrying live bait, dropping bags of chum to attract the bluefish that patrols the shoreline.
Not sure what's restricting you to 600ft besides line capacity. The release works no matter how far you fly. Good luck with your fishing and looking forward to seeing the results. ?
Fellow drone fisherman. Gannet Sport, X-Sport, Pro drone.

I have a brand new out of the box P3S that I was offered after my old P3S Wi-Fi unit could not be replaced due to COVID-19 delays from China. The 600 feet is distance when I start to loose signal between AC & RC when flying a mapping session (MapsMadeEasy). Will have to consider upgrading to something with longer controllable distance and better camera as I would like to fly longer distance mapping missions.

I have a brand new out of the box P3S that I was offered after my old P3S Wi-Fi unit could not be replaced due to COVID-19 delays from China. The 600 feet is distance when I start to loose signal between AC & RC when flying a mapping session (MapsMadeEasy). Will have to consider upgrading to something with longer controllable distance and better camera as I would like to fly longer distance mapping missions.
Sorry makes sense now. I used parabolic reflectors on my P3s remote to double the range. Cheap enough to try. Best when aimed at the drone, like when fishing. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic