DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Do all these boosters work the same... Or do some others offer better signals ?

Hi sh4mar, your question is very smart and requires an honest answer: basically all these boosters work in the same way, they reflect the electromagnetic waves received and transmitted by a remote controller just like the one used with the drones DJI Phantom 3 or Inspire 1.

Anyway, some boosters are not optimized to work at the best of their possibilities, in fact the only way to maximize the gain of the antennas is to reflect and concentrate the waves just along the axes of the antennas. This requires a very accurate design of the booster and a precise and appropiate distance between the reflectors and the antennas.

Another fact that can make the difference is the quality of the aluminium, better if it consists of a single seamless foil and if it has a good thickness.

I wish to emphasize that I have published on Thingiverse.com a "ready to be printed" 3D model of a very performant and accurate parabolic antenna for the last generation of DJI drones:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565

Anyway, for everyone who don't have a 3D printer, I can sell them a printed and well finished Range Booster ready to use out of the box with aluminum coating already applied (19,00 € + shipping fees).

IMG_3501r.jpg

If you need more information, you can contact me at [email protected].

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: VenomX15301
Not that I noticed. I just cant get far enough with a full battery to see any difference between All 3 designs. Never dropped a bar on controller strength or video strength. Was a perfect day to fly. light head wind. Had to use ATTI. on the way back to make sure I would make it. I saw more difference's in my 3 batteries then I did in the windsurfers.
Looked on your eBay store but did not see the P3 version. Have you stopped selling these?

Yes I listed some more today. Are you in the U.S.? If so you should order from my web site. There's a 5% discount there. E-bay is killing me in fee's

Hi David,

I received my booster on Saturday and am very pleased with the quality! I apologize for ordering it through eBay as I know the fees are getting very steep, sometimes old habits die hard.

I also received two extra strips of foil, are these spares?

Timmer

Reactions: david wettlaufer
Hello David...

My "split" P3 antenna booster arrived yesterday. Thanks for the quick order turn around.

Beautiful quality.

I plan on doing some empirical testing this weekend to compare your original design with the split version and will report my results.

I do think that I might just have room in my Chinese eBay P3 backpack to hold the
split boosters in an accessory cut out in the backpack foam.

FYI...be sure to check the bubble wrap for the included antenna clips or you risk throwing them out in the trash like I almost did ;)

:harry

I'm going to see what it would cost me next time i go to the post office. I'm guessing somewhere around 5.00-10.00 I seem to get better prices when I go up there. The web site that i made my web site thru still hasn't got there inter shipping outside the US fixed yet and it sucks because i want to help you guys just a lot of extra work on my part if i have to enter all the info but I'm Working on this.
I appreciate your efforts. I'd rather give you the whole $60 than half of it to eBay. haha

To David

2.1 miles ( 4.2 total miles ) test run today.
No issues, signal was great
Incredible feeling flying my P3P " Skysurfer "
( named after the sport I did when I was a young lad )

Well worth the cost for future long range footage

thank you

AC

Sylmar, Ca.PNG

Hi guys, there are great news for all those who wish to experience extreme performances with my "Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster".
In fact, by popular demand, it is now available a new type of parabolic reflector that is provided with a seamless High Quality COPPER Layer!

_MG_0076r.png

Moreover, you can also customize the Range Booster choosing one of the following colors:
White, Black, Blue, Green, Red or Yellow.

The new Range Booster with Copper Layer costs 23,00 EUR (25,90 US $) + shipping fees.
The standard Range Booster with Aluminum Layer costs 19,00 EUR (21,40 US $) + shipping fees.

DSC08833r.jpg

If you wish to place an order, let me know your postal address and I will calculate your shipment fees.
You can pay the to my Paypal ID "[email protected]".
Every Range Booster is usually ready for the shipment within 1-2 working days from the payment.

David my sincere hope for you is that you keep going - such a wonderful and refreshing personal touch in today's world.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Thank you, I take pride in my print finishing. Makes it much stronger than a normal 3D Printed item & gives it a smoother "Injected mold" look to the surfaces that in turn make it easier to clean. Less chance of getting stained as well. It takes a bit more time and money for resources, but worth it. Yes, I send my windsurfers with 2 extra strips of Reflective Tape. This is in case you scratch or mess up the reflective surface of the windsurfer. Helpful hint : You can also get this tape at Home Depot / Lowes (Ducting Tape) or any home improvement store . Very happy to hear you like it. That's why i do this.

Do you have a link to order one?

Hi guys, there are great news for all those who wish to experience extreme performances with my "Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster".
In fact, by popular demand, it is now available a new type of parabolic reflector that is provided with a seamless High Quality COPPER Layer!

Where is the extreme performance Details between the copper and aluminum layers?

Aluminum, copper... you won't see any difference in performance in this case.

This is hype.

Surface smoothness will have more effect than the material.

In fact screen mesh of the proper dimensions will work just fine as well.

(Just look to the window of your microwave oven as an example.)

I wonder why DJI always chose to use copper sheeting instead of aluminum while boosting the GPS reception? I'm guessing that must be a totally different circumstances?

But none the less, Giuseppe Finizia up above posted the seamless High Quality Copper Layer as if it increases extreme performance. You don't suppose he added the additional $4.50 cost just for appearance sake, do you?

The details do matter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl