Disappointed But Not Surprised

Do we have a voice? Manufactures like DJI and others make their desires known to those legislating UAV use, but do we the UAV owner/user population have a "lobbying group" to ensure our concerns are heard not only by the government but also corporate UAV entities. We certainly can debate the pros & cons of issues here and elsewhere, but if these discussions are not elevated to those making the decisions that impact us, what is really achieved?

Academy Of Model Aeronautics

This organization lobbies for UAV pilots. Its membership also includes liability insurance. It’s a good way insure that our voices are heard.

Academy of Model Aeronautics

My experience with the AMA is they look on UAVs and those that operate them as some sub-culture...they'll take our money but when you go to a AMA meet and show up with a UAV, you get quickly dismissed. Based on this I question how strongly they would advocate for our community.

My experience with the AMA is they look on UAVs and those that operate them as some sub-culture...they'll take our money but when you go to a AMA meet and show up with a UAV, you get quickly dismissed. Based on this I question how strongly they would advocate for our community.
I don't disagree with that statement but I think but they probably dismiss anybody that doesn't show up with a hand built ac.

Oh my gosh people, they didn't restrict the height limit. What they added was an aid that can be changed. The photo you shared is already set illegally. The default they gave was 500 ft max, but you can change that. I'm studying for a commercial RC Piloting license and the law is that all recreational drones must remain under 400 feet so I advise you to change the max to 400 feet. The law applies to part 107 pilots too, we can only fly over 400 feet if the job is working on a tower that is larger than 400 feet. The area limit you say is next is to aid in visual line of sight because it's extremely illegal to fly with the camera only without a visualobserver. Know this what they are doing is answering the Faa's requests. I'm sure that coming soon they will restrict flight in certain areas without a pilot license or Faa waiver. Those of you flying in active parks, over crowds, or over 400 feet are breaking laws even if you are in a low air traffic area. I suggest you find some source of RC pilot laws so you understand why these add-ons are coming to be.

OK, I got a little upset when, for a time, DJI took down the ability to downgrade to a previous version of firmware, but it’s difficult for me to believe that so many people are arguing as if more government regulation is a good thing.
For a time? So it's back. So nothing has changed there. Why is this a complaint?

There is no firmware in my car to limit how far I can travel, or where I can go. I am responsible for obeying the traffic laws, and I do.
Really? Trying going faster then the speed imposed by the rev limiter and let me know how that works out for you. The hp in your vehicle is _very_ capable of going faster but the cars firmware won't allow this. So... you are incorrect. truth is, there are limitations like this in many things... not just your Phantom.

I am not a proponent of anarchy and I agree that we all must do our part to keep our hobby safe, but it’s up to us, not our government. If you need an example of too much government interference, just take look at what Canada has done to our sport.
I don't need _more_ examples... but I would like to see at least one example of what you initially complained about. many people have asked you for this but you've yet to post anything. If you are going to complain about something... at _least_ mention what you are complaining about.

Oh my gosh people, they didn't restrict the height limit. What they added was an aid that can be changed.
They didn't change or add anything affecting altitude.
The photo you shared is already set illegally. The default they gave was 500 ft max, but you can change that. I'm studying for a commercial RC Piloting license and the law is that all recreational drones must remain under 400 feet so I advise you to change the max to 400 feet.
Thanks for that "lesson". but there's nothing wrong with the setting shown in that screenshot.
The number there is showing a max altitude above launch point.
No country has any regulation regarding height above launch point - they all refer to height above ground.
Perhaps you live on a pancake-flat prairie but the rest of the world is not flat.
There are plenty of situations where it is quite possible to be more than 400 ft above home but still be less than 4000 ft above ground level.

*snip*

I don't need _more_ examples... but I would like to see at least one example of what you initially complained about. many people have asked you for this but you've yet to post anything. If you are going to complain about something... at _least_ mention what you are complaining about.

This is a cut and past of Canadian recreational drone rules, didn't put me off buying one. It might bother me less because I'm an old school RC pilot with no interest in going out of vlos range. I live somewhere rural I guess the 75m stuff would be challenging in a big city. In my experience with cops and RC if you appear to be using good judgement or they're interested personally they don't care or even know about these laws. I don't have my address but enough contact info to be found, hope I don't go to jail.

Do not fly your drone:

• higher than 90 m above the ground
  • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
  • closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  • within controlled or restricted airspace
  • within nine km of a forest fire
  • where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • at night or in clouds
  • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  • if you are not within 500 m of your drone
  • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

They didn't change or add anything affecting altitude.

Thanks for that "lesson". but there's nothing wrong with the setting shown in that screenshot.
The number there is showing a max altitude above launch point.
No country has any regulation regarding height above launch point - they all refer to height above ground.
Perhaps you live on a pancake-flat prairie but the rest of the world is not flat.
There are plenty of situations where it is quite possible to be more than 400 ft above home but still be less than 4000 ft above ground level.

What I said was FAA laws you can not fly any drone 400 feet agl at all unless doing something involving a structure greater than 400ft agl

You're right about that not being illegal. What I was saying is that it would be illegal to fly at that height and it's useful to have it set to the maximum height limit proposed by whoever controls the airspace whenever you are and for me the lateral limit would be 400 feet agl.

So all I said was advice to set it to the ceiling height that is legal to fly at so you don't fly illegally.

You're right about that not being illegal. What I was saying is that it would be illegal to fly at that height and it's useful to have it set to the maximum height limit proposed by whoever controls the airspace whenever you are and for me the lateral limit would be 400 feet agl.

So all I said was advice to set it to the ceiling height that is legal to fly at so you don't fly illegally.

It's been said a million times... there is no law for hobby fliers stating you can't fly higher than 400' above ground level.

DJI is clearly pushing for all pilots being logged and use compatible app. Once logged in, currently no internet connection is needed while operating as logon kept in cache.

With last firmware update, or new one to come?, below restriction will be effective.

368872eebf86a3ea547d74f711df5b2c.jpg

Last edited:
DJi’s recent update, has imposed new restrictions on our UAVs , that were not in place when we purchased the products, therefore unilaterally reducing the value of the product. I believe in doing so, DJI owes a refund to everyone forced to accept a lesser product. When Apple was confronted by an unfair government demand, it showed courage and refused to submit. I applaud Apple’s fortitude, while condemning DJI’s weakness.
Just like the small liberties that we seem to be willing to give up in the name of security, slowly but surely, DJI, through government pressure, will slowly restrict the fun out of recreational flying. Where will it stop? It won’t. Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions. I have two Phantom 4s and Three Phantom 3s. I have only updated one Phantom 4 and that is all I will ever update; voluntarily.
For those of you considering a purchase of a new UAV, while they are still fun to fly, the more that corporations give into government pressure, the less fun these products will supply.
Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz
What do you use your fleet for? I use my Phantom 2 and now Phantom 4P for commercials and TV show establishing shots. Great fun

DJi’s recent update, has imposed new restrictions on our UAVs , that were not in place when we purchased the products, therefore unilaterally reducing the value of the product. I believe in doing so, DJI owes a refund to everyone forced to accept a lesser product. When Apple was confronted by an unfair government demand, it showed courage and refused to submit. I applaud Apple’s fortitude, while condemning DJI’s weakness.
Just like the small liberties that we seem to be willing to give up in the name of security, slowly but surely, DJI, through government pressure, will slowly restrict the fun out of recreational flying. Where will it stop? It won’t. Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions. I have two Phantom 4s and Three Phantom 3s. I have only updated one Phantom 4 and that is all I will ever update; voluntarily.
For those of you considering a purchase of a new UAV, while they are still fun to fly, the more that corporations give into government pressure, the less fun these products will supply.
Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz
you have the freedom not to update the firmware and app. By your own action for update, you on your own change the function of the drone you originally purchased.

Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz
...Agreed, its a trend (bait 'n switch), and the only way to counter this arrogance is Boycott, it will put them back in their place.. just received the goggles today and am
now very seriously considering sending them back.. thx for the nfo.. could you be a lil more specific on the restrictions , TIA...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

OK, I got a little upset when, for a time, DJI took down the ability to downgrade to a previous version of firmware, but it’s difficult for me to believe that so many people are arguing as if more government regulation is a good thing.
Well, I find such simplistic more/less == bad/good thinking dangerous in judging legal and regulatory policy, and fight back hard against people that employ such shallow analysis.

More regulation may be good, or it may be bad. It depends entirely on the circumstance, the risks being addressed, and the consequences to people and property when these rules are violated.

So, consequently, I do support regulation requiring, for example, traffic control and signal lights at busy intersections, so as to facilitate orderly traffic flow and minimize the risk of collisions while driving. In this case LESS regulation would be a bad thing; before these rules, MORE regulation was a good thing.

In contrast, placing speed regulators on cars to prevent exceeding the speed limit (the details of how the technology would work are not important for the point being made), that would be bad. There simply isn't the increased risk and catastrophe associate with speeding that justifies this draconian control of everyone.

Similarly, if MORE regulation demands that collision avoidance systems be integrated with sUAV hardware and software, that would probably be a good thing, not bad.

Oh my gosh people, they didn't restrict the height limit. What they added was an aid that can be changed. The photo you shared is already set illegally. The default they gave was 500 ft max, but you can change that. I'm studying for a commercial RC Piloting license and the law is that all recreational drones must remain under 400 feet so I advise you to change the max to 400 feet. The law applies to part 107 pilots too, we can only fly over 400 feet if the job is working on a tower that is larger than 400 feet. The area limit you say is next is to aid in visual line of sight because it's extremely illegal to fly with the camera only without a visualobserver. Know this what they are doing is answering the Faa's requests. I'm sure that coming soon they will restrict flight in certain areas without a pilot license or Faa waiver. Those of you flying in active parks, over crowds, or over 400 feet are breaking laws even if you are in a low air traffic area. I suggest you find some source of RC pilot laws so you understand why these add-ons are coming to be.
The phantom needs to be able to go way beyond 400' . I've have flown the 500meters in elevation but was never over 400' AGL . i was 500 meters over my take off point but following terrain up a mountain it was never over 400'AGL . i would like to know how some people post max elevations they have flown that's in excess of the 500 meters . for me 500 meters is about 300meters shy of what i need to be able to do . is there a way around this ?? does Litchi impose a max alt. of 500 meters ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT