Disappointed But Not Surprised

Reaction score
DJi’s recent update, has imposed new restrictions on our UAVs , that were not in place when we purchased the products, therefore unilaterally reducing the value of the product. I believe in doing so, DJI owes a refund to everyone forced to accept a lesser product. When Apple was confronted by an unfair government demand, it showed courage and refused to submit. I applaud Apple’s fortitude, while condemning DJI’s weakness.
Just like the small liberties that we seem to be willing to give up in the name of security, slowly but surely, DJI, through government pressure, will slowly restrict the fun out of recreational flying. Where will it stop? It won’t. Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions. I have two Phantom 4s and Three Phantom 3s. I have only updated one Phantom 4 and that is all I will ever update; voluntarily.
For those of you considering a purchase of a new UAV, while they are still fun to fly, the more that corporations give into government pressure, the less fun these products will supply.
Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz

DJi’s recent update, has imposed new restrictions on our UAVs , that were not in place when we purchased the products, therefore unilaterally reducing the value of the product. I believe in doing so, DJI owes a refund to everyone forced to accept a lesser product. When Apple was confronted by an unfair government demand, it showed courage and refused to submit. I applaud Apple’s fortitude, while condemning DJI’s weakness.
Just like the small liberties that we seem to be willing to give up in the name of security, slowly but surely, DJI, through government pressure, will slowly restrict the fun out of recreational flying. Where will it stop? It won’t. Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions. I have two Phantom 4s and Three Phantom 3s. I have only updated one Phantom 4 and that is all I will ever update; voluntarily.
For those of you considering a purchase of a new UAV, while they are still fun to fly, the more that corporations give into government pressure, the less fun these products will supply.
Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz
Hey Dennis, i understand the frustration, security, restrictions, recreation, legal..,liberties...

Reactions: Myp4 and Capo
They haven't actually restricted any of its capabilities. Easy there Tonto! The sky isn't falling yet. Give it some more time, I'm sure it will fall eventually but not today. Keep looking up.

I have not noticed any restrictions, but I do welcome technological restraint of drones to keep them within the legal guidelines or rules. If that is the case, I would not consider that was a reduction of your liberties. Your issue should be with your government not with DJI who is trying to assure that we all continue, for a long time, to be able to fly within the rules and are not restricted further. Thank you DJI for your leadership.

Reactions: wmclements2003
It's weird that this wasn't discussed to death when it happened a couple of weeks ago.

Oh wait, it was.

The only restriction that has been added is against flights extremely close to airports, prisons, nuclear power plants and the like. And if you are allowed to fly there you can get a waiver.

All other flights are still ok. The sky is not falling.

And DJI owes you nothing because you agreed to any possible changes like this when you activated your drone.

Reactions: NetDep
It shouldn't suprise anyone to learn DJI's principal motivation is likley an ongoing effort to give comfort to regulators that they are working to produce a product that may circumvent the need for blanket restrictions being imposed on users. Amongst their greatest fears would have to be any move to restrict UAV sales.

Reactions: gmj3191
Very disappointed,
Dennis ... out of all the reports from those that have updated, yours is the first to suggest you've found some sort of restriction.
Without telling us what particular restrictions you think has been applied to your Phantom, your post is rather pointless.
I'd be very interested to get some details.

Dennis ... out of all the reports from those that have updated, yours is the first to suggest you've found some sort of restriction.
Without telling us what particular restrictions you think has been applied to your Phantom, your post is rather pointless.
I'd be very interested to get some details.
There is a danger to those who have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to see what is happening to them. If you had read my post carefully, you would have seen the sentence, “Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions.”. I did indeed mention a restriction imposed upon all of us, and with that restriction, the sky is falling. Did you get the pun, or do I have to point that out too?

Reactions: sgf
There is a danger to those who have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to see what is happening to them. If you had read my post carefully, you would have seen the sentence, “Today height restrictions tomorrow distance restrictions.”. I did indeed mention a restriction imposed upon all of us, and with that restriction, the sky is falling. Did you get the pun, or do I have to point that out too?

For those of us still knocking sand out of our ears could you please enlighten us as to what new restrictions you are referring too.

There is a danger to those who have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to see what is happening to them.
Dennis ... There is a danger to those that are so convinced that DJI is going to restrict them, that they see restrictions where there are none.
I'll say it again for you.
Out of all the reports from those that have updated, yours is the first to suggest you've found some sort of restriction.​
I wonder how it is that you've noticed something that no-one else has?

Go to your app settings (with the Phantom connected) and see what you have on this page, particularly the number in blue.
Then come back with a few details and explain clearly how you think you have been restricted.
i-7hKMfPC-L.png

I seriously doubt if we will be hearing back from Dennis on this unless it's just to rant without proof.

Ironically reported here AU federal court has instigated proceedings against Apple for misleading customers, DJI is proactively telling it's customers what it's doing (without misleading). OP, my point is your 'facts' appear to be assumptions alone, out of context.

Ironically reported here AU federal court has instigated proceedings against Apple for misleading customers, DJI is proactively telling it's customers what it's doing (without misleading). OP, my point is your 'facts' appear to be assumptions alone, out of context.

OK, I got a little upset when, for a time, DJI took down the ability to downgrade to a previous version of firmware, but it’s difficult for me to believe that so many people are arguing as if more government regulation is a good thing. There is no firmware in my car to limit how far I can travel, or where I can go. I am responsible for obeying the traffic laws, and I do. I am not a proponent of anarchy and I agree that we all must do our part to keep our hobby safe, but it’s up to us, not our government. If you need an example of too much government interference, just take look at what Canada has done to our sport. There will always be a few, no matter what the endeavor, who will step over the line and abuse the sport, but do we really want the government to restrict the rest of us because of the few who commit the abuse? I seemed to have poked a hornet’s nest when all I was doing was letting of a little steam. I did not mean to offend. If you really want more laws to protect you, just ask a government official. I am positive that they will accommodate your wish.

Yes, Canada has gone way too far. But luckily, DJI doesn't enforce some limits in my rural area that they could. One item not enforced is the 500m horizontal limit in Canada. Another is rarely used grass airports within 9kms. Another is night time flying. I for one am glad that DJI is not acting like police. If they did in Canada, I'd be grounded.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with "With The Birds"
I took a screen shot of this post from a while back(I cant find the post now) .It does make you wonder what they are up to and what we aren't told.
As With The Birds says their principal motivation is profit so they do what ever has to be done to maintain/increase that profit.

Attachments

• IMG_0329 (1).PNG
    IMG_0329 (1).PNG
    231.9 KB · Views: 421
Reactions: editbrain
As With The Birds says their principal motivation is profit so they do what ever has to be done to maintain/increase that profit.

Curious about this comment (although that's perfectly OK - isn't every company there to make money?) their web site states they are private, and not that profit is there 'principal motivation' so where does this knowledge come from?

"Headquartered in Shenzhen...
As a privately owned and operated company, DJI focuses on our own vision, supporting creative, commercial, and nonprofit applications of our technology."

Reactions: wmclements2003
Do we have a voice? Manufactures like DJI and others make their desires known to those legislating UAV use, but do we the UAV owner/user population have a "lobbying group" to ensure our concerns are heard not only by the government but also corporate UAV entities. We certainly can debate the pros & cons of issues here and elsewhere, but if these discussions are not elevated to those making the decisions that impact us, what is really achieved?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl