Dilemma and I'd appreciate some helpful advice...

Reaction score
Website
www.aiscforlando.com
[EDITED TO CLARIFY SOME POINTS] Sorry this is so TL: DR...

Ok, here goes. Back in November I purchased a Phantom 4 Standard from the classifieds here. Came with EVERYTHING imaginable: 3 batts, manfrotto backpack, filters, multicharger, etc, etc. I bought it because I plan on getting my 107 and starting to add Aerial Services to our thriving DJ business. Although quite entertaining, I could tell after a month I'd outgrow it and need something more professional for the high-end clients my wife and I already began lining up for after the test.

So, fast forward to last month. I began looking at Inspire 1's, but was told by quite a few that I should leave the older model Inspire alone and look into something else. I really wanted something to "impress" clients with, because, as we all know, perception is reality to many. I have learned this in the DJ'ing business... BIGGER is better (so it's thought), although I can do the same thing and have nearly the same look and sound with a smaller system, but I digress. So, with a piddly $2000 budget, I began looking into Phantom 4 Pro's (ALL of them) and thought I had it figured out. I'd get a P4P+, with multiple batts (can't have too many batteries), range extenders for better video transmission, weather-proof wheeled case. I'd get a Sony mirrorless camera and a DJI stabilizer. All in all, only a $2000 investment. Although hard to come by, Drone Trader and our Local FB Marketplace has quite a few in my price-range. Well, now here is where the advice and thoughts come in. I might be able to close the deal on an Inspire 2, X5S, 4 batts, 4 batt cylinder-type charger, 2 spare sets of props, ND Filters, and extra case for $2000! I'm thinking this is a steal.

Our clients, for after I get my 107, are all realtors that sell multi-million dollar properties. We plan to branch out into many more types of markets: Construction, surveying, Commercial applications, even some Television commercial work and Videos. So I'm thinking I'd love to upgrade to an X7 and also a thermal camera, when/if we expand.

My dilemma is, with what we are initially focusing on, does it make sense to forgo the whole Phantom and Camera route and perhaps do the I2 and use an Osmo, or instead, is the Phantom 4 Pro powerful and professional enough to, not only impress (initially and visually), but be a truly professional workhorse. I know I might be talking to a slightly biased crowd (lol), but I welcome all thoughts - especially from those that do drone work professionally.
THANK YOU

Last edited:
I've flown just about everything you mention and I don't think that ,for what you're doing now, the I2 is worth the $$. It costs more to buy and cost more to operate. Why pay for something you don't really need?

The P4P is a powerful tool but as of right now completely out of stock most places. Some people are selling them here and there trying to make bank off of the shortage or to hopefully be ready for whatever the NEXT release from DJI might be.

If you really want to go Big Boy and plan to fly some commercial payloads (cameras) look into the ALTA8 or something like that. Here's a cool video by a Professional Videographer and Drone Pilot Trent Palmer
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry this is so TL: DR, I also posted it in the Inspire Forums...

Ok, here goes. Back in November I purchased a Phantom 4 Standard from the classifieds here. Came with EVERYTHING imaginable: 3 batts, manfrotto backpack, filters, multicharger, etc, etc. I bought it because I plan on getting my 107 and starting to add Aerial Services to our thriving DJ business. Although quite entertaining, I could tell after a month I'd outgrow it and need something more professional for the high-end clients my wife and I already began lining up for after the test.

So, fast forward to last month. I began looking at Inspire 1's, but was told by quite a few that I should leave the older model Inspire alone and look into something else. I really wanted something to "impress" clients with, because, as we all know, perception is reality to many. I have learned this in the DJ'ing business... BIGGER is better (so it's thought), although I can do the same thing and have nearly the same look and sound with a smaller system, but I digress. So, I began looking into Phantom 4 Pro's (ALL of them) and thought I had it figured out. I'd get a P4P+, with multiple batts (can't have too many batteries), range extenders for better video transmission, weather-proof wheeled case. I'd get a Sony mirrorless camera and a DJI stabilizer. All in all, only a $2000 investment. Well, now here is where the advice and thoughts come in. I might be able to close the deal on an Inspire 2, with 4 batts, ND Filters, and extra case for $2000! I'm thinking this is a steal.

Our initial clients are all realtors that sell multi-million dollar properties. We plan to branch out into many more types of markets: Construction, surveying, Commercial applications, even some Television commercial work and Videos.

My dilemma is, with what we are initially focusing on, does it make sense to forgo the whole Phantom and Camera route and perhaps do the I2 and use an Osmo, or instead, is the Phantom 4 Pro powerful and professional enough to impress (initially and visually). I know I might be talking to a slightly biased crowd (lol), but I welcome all thoughts - especially from those that do drone work professionally.
THANK YOU

If you really want to impress I’d go with the AeroVironment Puma.

Visit Aerovironment Inc.

I've flown just about everything you mention and I don't think that ,for what you're doing now, the I2 is worth the $$. It costs more to buy and cost more to operate. Why pay for something you don't really need?

The P4P is a powerful tool but as of right now completely out of stock most places. Some people are selling them here and there trying to make bank off of the shortage or to hopefully be ready for whatever the NEXT release from DJI might be.

If you really want to go Big Boy and plan to fly some commercial payloads (cameras) look into the ALTA8 or something like that. Here's a cool video by a Professional Videographer and Drone Pilot Trent Palmer

Thanks BigAl. I guess I was seeing "DEAL" and the potential for expandability...WAY down the line. DroneTrader is pretty decent for P4P's and our local FB Marketplace as well. I'll watch the vid. Thanks again...

Reactions: BigAl07

After clicking on the vid, I realized I did indeed watch this previously AND am subscribed to Trent Palmer :)

Reactions: BigAl07
After clicking on the vid, I realized I did indeed watch this previously AND am subscribed to Trent Palmer :)

Your life will be better because of that :) If there was such a thing (for me there isn't) he would be my Man Crush LOL!

I really wanted something to "impress" clients with, because, as we all know, perception is reality to many. I have learned this in the DJ'ing business... BIGGER is better (so it's thought)
The best thing to impress clients is the quality of your work.
I've found most non-drone clients are very impressed by the Phantom 4 pro as well as the work it produces.
does it make sense to forgo the whole Phantom and Camera route and perhaps do the I2 and use an Osmo, or instead, is the Phantom 4 Pro powerful and professional enough to, not only impress (initially and visually), but be a truly professional workhorse.
The P4 pro is a professional workhorse capable of producing high quality stills and video. It's one of the best mapping drones as well.
Its easy portability is a really useful feature.

If you think you want an Inspire, a couple of things worth considering are:
It's big and needs an even bigger case to travel.
It takes time to set up and launch.
If you are wanting to work professionally, you really need two drones to ensure you always have one available if the other is off-line.
Ideally, they should be compatible so you can use the same batteries/chargers etc.

[EDITED TO CLARIFY SOME POINTS] Sorry this is so TL: DR...

So, fast forward to last month. I began looking at Inspire 1's, but was told by quite a few that I should leave the older model Inspire alone and look into something else. I really wanted something to "impress" clients with, because, as we all know, perception is reality to many. I have learned this in the DJ'ing business... BIGGER is better (so it's thought), although I can do the same thing and have nearly the same look and sound with a smaller system, but I digress. So, with a piddly $2000 budget, I began looking into Phantom 4 Pro's (ALL of them) and thought I had it figured out. I'd get a P4P+, with multiple batts (can't have too many batteries), range extenders for better video transmission, weather-proof wheeled case. I'd get a Sony mirrorless camera and a DJI stabilizer. All in all, only a $2000 investment. Although hard to come by, Drone Trader and our Local FB Marketplace has quite a few in my price-range. Well, now here is where the advice and thoughts come in. I might be able to close the deal on an Inspire 2, X5S, 4 batts, 4 batt cylinder-type charger, 2 spare sets of props, ND Filters, and extra case for $2000! I'm thinking this is a steal.

Our clients, for after I get my 107, are all realtors that sell multi-million dollar properties. We plan to branch out into many more types of markets: Construction, surveying, Commercial applications, even some Television commercial work and Videos. So I'm thinking I'd love to upgrade to an X7 and also a thermal camera, when/if we expand.

My dilemma is, with what we are initially focusing on, does it make sense to forgo the whole Phantom and Camera route and perhaps do the I2 and use an Osmo, or instead, is the Phantom 4 Pro powerful and professional enough to, not only impress (initially and visually), but be a truly professional workhorse. I know I might be talking to a slightly biased crowd (lol), but I welcome all thoughts - especially from those that do drone work professionally.
THANK YOU
I shoot real estate with a P2V2+ and P4A. My agents couldn't care less what I use, just as they don't care what DSLR I use. Often, they're not even at the shoot with me. They care about the images.

Reactions: MTO and Dan AISCF
The best thing to impress clients is the quality of your work.
I've found most non-drone clients are very impressed by the Phantom 4 pro as well as the work it produces.

The P4 pro is a professional workhorse capable of producing high quality stills and video. It's one of the best mapping drones as well.
Its easy portability is a really useful feature.

If you think you want an Inspire, a couple of things worth considering are:
It's big and needs an even bigger case to travel.
It takes time to set up and launch.
If you are wanting to work professionally, you really need two drones to ensure you always have one available if the other is off-line.
Ideally, they should be compatible so you can use the same batteries/chargers etc.

Meta4 - Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I've been beating my head against a wall here the past month. Some say leave the Phantom 4, because it's at EOL, whereas others (in different groups) believe as you do :S One of the reasons I did want a P4P is because I already have a 4, so that means additional batteries (3) already in my possession, and a backpack and aluminum case. I know I'd have to get new ND filters, since the 4S does not fit the 4P, but that's pretty much it...and, I'd have a backup (albeit not as high-end as the 4Pro). I guess I have a lot to think about, still.

I shoot real estate with a P2V2+ and P4A. My agents couldn't care less what I use, just as they don't care what DSLR I use. Often, they're not even at the shoot with me. They care about the images.

Thanks for that info Canyon Mike, very well said. Since I'm new to this, I figured clients would be like my DJ clients. I always figured people don't care what tools you have to build a house, as long as it meets/exceeds their expectations and is quality work when done. That was shattered in the DJ world. I had to invest thousands to upgrade, just to stay competitive. Things are well now, but tough in the beginning (I had the skills as a DJ and tons of mixtapes to show for it...

SO, I thought it'd be the same with aerial work. I figured if you stroll up with an Inspire 2, it'd leave a better taste with the clients that will be spending a lot of money for the work. I don't want a situation where someone sees the drone and says "my nephew has one of those, I could just get him", etc.

Again, thank you for your input, very much appreciated and needed!

It's funny you mention "say competitive".... I have yet to have a client (a paying one anyway) what aircraft I'm flying. I use P3P's, Mavics, and even a Spark for some inside work. Most are impressed when they see the final product and see what a small aircraft I'm working with.

On the flip side... some of my large Commercial Construction Projects when I do DEMO flights I bring out our large Hex H520 for "Show & Tell" but the principal players are there and they do expect to see something a bit different than a Phantom airframe.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Hi DJ,

Totally agree with the fine advice you've been getting here. The points that stand out to me are:
  • Perception should not be the primary focus for you or your clients. The end product is what matters.
  • A Phantom 4 Pro is an incredible machine. It is reliable, steady, and produces great pictures/video. BTW, much better than the Inspire 1 you were first considering. There's really no time I would consider buying an Inspire 1 with what is on the market now.
  • As a business you will absolutely need a backup in case something has your primary craft down for any reason. Having common accessories (like batteries) is a big plus.
  • The P4P is not exactly tiny, but it certainly is more portable than the I2. Although it is not as big as some people make it out to be. My P4P with all accessories in a Nanuk hard case is almost as big as the I2 in its standard DJI case. It is pretty close.
  • The setup time on the I2 is definitely a factor. For a job in the field it really doesn't matter usually, but if you need quick setup and packing up, then the P4P is better. If you go to the extreme, look at something like a Mavic Air. Not as capable as a P4P or I2, but wow is it portable and incredibly quick to get flying.
With a constraining budget and since you already have a P4, I really think you should be looking at the P4P. Covers all the bases and leaves money in the bank. I have both of these craft and I just find myself using the P4P a lot more than the I2. Your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, the $2K deal is awesome for an I2 with X5S. Which lens is included?

Good luck no matter what you decide to do! P.S. I am seriously considering selling one of my P4P craft soon since I just don't use them all enough. I'll post it in Classified if I do decide to sell.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Hi DJ,

Totally agree with the fine advice you've been getting here. The points that stand out to me are:
  • Perception should not be the primary focus for you or your clients. The end product is what matters.
  • A Phantom 4 Pro is an incredible machine. It is reliable, steady, and produces great pictures/video. BTW, much better than the Inspire 1 you were first considering. There's really no time I would consider buying an Inspire 1 with what is on the market now.
  • As a business you will absolutely need a backup in case something has your primary craft down for any reason. Having common accessories (like batteries) is a big plus.
  • The P4P is not exactly tiny, but it certainly is more portable than the I2. Although it is not as big as some people make it out to be. My P4P with all accessories in a Nanuk hard case is almost as big as the I2 in its standard DJI case. It is pretty close.
  • The setup time on the I2 is definitely a factor. For a job in the field it really doesn't matter usually, but if you need quick setup and packing up, then the P4P is better. If you go to the extreme, look at something like a Mavic Air. Not as capable as a P4P or I2, but wow is it portable and incredibly quick to get flying.
With a constraining budget and since you already have a P4, I really think you should be looking at the P4P. Covers all the bases and leaves money in the bank. I have both of these craft and I just find myself using the P4P a lot more than the I2. Your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, the $2K deal is awesome for an I2 with X5S. Which lens is included?

Good luck no matter what you decide to do! P.S. I am seriously considering selling one of my P4P craft soon since I just don't use them all enough. I'll post it in Classified if I do decide to sell.

PhantomFandom - Thank you so much for wrapping it all up for me and taking the time to read through this thread. As I've been reading more and more comments here and in the inspire and commercial forums, it seems it makes sense to go with my initial thoughts of a P4P/(+), for what we are trying to do shortly (after I get my 107). I think I might have over-emphasized the whole perception thing and hope no one on these boards think I'm shallow in any way. Just trying to cover all bases before we open shop. Since I do already have a working P4 with 3 batteries, it makes sense to get a 4P, as if that goes down, I'll have the 4S as a backup, already complete with filters, etc.

Again thank you very much for weighing in here as well.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
PhantomFandom - Thank you so much for wrapping it all up for me and taking the time to read through this thread. As I've been reading more and more comments here and in the inspire and commercial forums, it seems it makes sense to go with my initial thoughts of a P4P/(+), for what we are trying to do shortly (after I get my 107). I think I might have over-emphasized the whole perception thing and hope no one on these boards think I'm shallow in any way. Just trying to cover all bases before we open shop. Since I do already have a working P4 with 3 batteries, it makes sense to get a 4P, as if that goes down, I'll have the 4S as a backup, already complete with filters, etc.

Again thank you very much for weighing in here as well.

I wanted to add one more quick thing. If you are deciding between the P4P and the P4P+, make sure you know what you plan on doing with it. The P4P+ controller is very nice, but limited in that you can't load 3rd party apps on it. So if you plan on doing anything requiring other apps (like DroneDeploy for instance) then you will need the regular P4P controller. I have one of each controller for my P4P so that I can use the appropriate one depending on my needs.

Reactions: Meta4 and Dan AISCF
I wanted to add one more quick thing. If you are deciding between the P4P and the P4P+, make sure you know what you plan on doing with it. The P4P+ controller is very nice, but limited in that you can't load 3rd party apps on it. So if you plan on doing anything requiring other apps (like DroneDeploy for instance) then you will need the regular P4P controller. I have one of each controller for my P4P so that I can use the appropriate one depending on my needs.

Excellent advise. Will consider. Thanks again.

All, thanks for your participation in this thread. I really do appreciate all the input.

I decided to get a P4P+ (basically brand new), with a few batteries from a local drone pilot a couple hours from me. I also picked up a Sony a6000 and Zhiyun Weebill Lab Creator. All in all, I am pretty happy and looking forward to getting my 107 and starting up on this ever-growing client list! Thanks guys...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic